Day 31 today and trying not to be disappointed

whovianmom

No matter how much I read that the stupid scale doesn't matter, I'm still trying not to be disappointed (and it's not working very well). Today is Day 31 for me.  I never cheated and followed the plan faithfully.  I only lost 4lbs.

The positive outcomes have been I feel so much better and I know I'm leaner through my mid-section.  Plus, I do CrossFit and I've seen myself get stronger.  Intellectually, I know that those reasons alone are the successes I should want and focus on.  I've read everything this site and the books have to offer on the scale number, but, darn it, it's so hard to not focus on that one small factor! 

Why has our culture ingrained in our heads that that stupid number on the scale means so much? Ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Going forward, I'm going to continue with the program and, hopefully, see continued gains in my strength and fitness as well as in my overall health, and the scale can go in the garbage.

Going forward, I'm going to continue with the program and, hopefully, see continued gains in my strength and fitness as well as in my overall health, and the scale can go in the garbage.

This ^ is what to focus on.  A 4 lb weight loss is nothing to sneeze at.  

Health. Health. Health is the prize.

Early in the W30 it might have been water weight but at this point you're looking at 4 lbs of fat lost (and since you were working out as well, I bet that some of your scale loss was offset by muscle gain, so it's probably more than this!)

It's not pretty, but look what I found online: four pounds of fat  :)

casserole.jpg?w=500

That's a lot of fat.

Thank you everyone!  I appreciate your words of encouragement, pictures of icky fat and the great link!  I'm feeling better about it all now and am excited to go forward and complete the CrossFit workout "Helen" tomorrow!

Four lbs is great, but even better are the lost inches and improved health! Congratulations! I didn't lose a pound on my first Whole30 (I'm on my second now) but what I gained in terms of a better, more conscious relationship with food was invaluable in the years since. You'll continue reaping the benefits of Whole30 for a long time, and congratulations on DOING IT! It really is an accomplishment just to do the 30 days.

Guest Andria

1 lb per week healthy and sustainable weight loss.  If you are in or close to a healthy weight range your weight loss will continue slowly.  If it is just vanity weight, you should ignore the scale and focus on recomposition (see link Tina posted above).  Also, take measurements that will be a more accurate indicator of body recomposition.  Good Luck :)  

I'd love to hear about your other non-scale victories. Also, you never said how much weight you feel you have to lose? I lost 4 lbs on my whole30, as well, but at 5'5" and starting at 141#, a huge change on the scale just wasn't gonna happen. However, over the four or so months since my whole30 was finished, I have lost 3 more pounds. More importantly: I have dropped a solid size in pants, my body composition has changed for the better, I am lifting heavier weights in the gym after several years of plateau, my skin is clear, I sleep well, I'm patient and happy, I am headache/migraine free, and I know I am doing the best thing possible to combat the depression, anxiety, heart disease, and cancer that run rampant in my family. It would be horribly unfortunate if all you could see what a number! There is more, I know there is!

I feel your pain. I finished my first Whole30 on June 30, and when I weighed myself the next day, it was a five pound loss.  But I remembered telling myself at the beginning that weight loss wasn't the primary goal... and I had some great friends and co-workers who noted that I looked trimmer and more fit.  Sooo, I now feel a lot better about that number and I'm not letting it control me.  I feel good, I look good, and I love eating healthy!  So, just go out there and continue to kick butt.  (BTW, I'm down another pound from that first weigh-in, so I'm doing well...)

Archived