Start date: July 6

sooneral87

Hi everyone,

I am starting tomorrow, July 7. This will be my 3rd? restart this year, I think. I am 7months pregnant and so tired of feeling sluggish. Looking forward to the support on here. Today I cooked some chicken thighs, hard boiled eggs, and made a chicken salad for tomorrow.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Crystal, lately I've been skipping breakfast, which I know so many say is terrible. But an easy way to get protein in is to boil a couple of eggs. You don't have to watch them and they are very easy to carry! I'm lucky that my husband is very efficient in the morning and does everything for me! So far I've killed my afternoon craving with olives and an Apple. Good luck!

Hi all! Started my 2nd Whole30 today. Did my first in March and felt great. I've been off roading since and realize I need these resets. It's all a journey I suppose. Breakfast I had 4 eggs with spinach, red peppers and green onion (scramble) and avocado on top. Lunch was compliant chipotle as I was too hung over on sunday to prep lol. Dinner we had salmon, asparagus, roasted potatoes and olives. Did well not getting hungry between meals and drank lots of water. On to Day 2!

Goodmorning everyone,

Love to read all your posts! I joined the FB group, txs Crystal F for the link.

Anyone having trouble with breakfast and preparing?

I think as breakfast as meal 1. I eat leftovers from diner and it works real fine with me! Also I prepared a egg ground beef casserole in the crockpot yummie and will last for days or you can freeze it in portions.

Lunch will be beets, grilled sardines, avocado, herbs salad with mixed greens and a portion a fresh strawberries.

Since I do not know how late I will be home for diner I took 3 eggs as an emergency food.

Have a good day you all and fight your sugar, alcohol, cola dragons! You can do it, you know.

Well today was not as bad as I was expecting. 

Breakfast: 4 egg whites and a handful of blackberries

Lunch: Tuna, 1/2 avocado

Snack: A few almonds

Dinner (will be): Baked wild salmon with a large side of veggies, and a bit of watermelon

Something I need to work on is according to an app I use to track my calorie intake (MyFitness Pal) I am not taking in enough calories. This has always been a struggle for me so I wasn't too surprised. So I definitely need to work on finding a happy balance.  Somehow, I wasn't starving or as tempted as I thought I would be today.  My sister ate dark chocolate covered fruit right in front of me (my favorite snack) and it didn't phase me like I thought it would. I think one of the things helping me to stay full is definitely all of the water I'm drinking. 

I hope everyone else had a successful first day as well!

I can tell you just by looking at what you ate you are not eating enough.  You really need to follow the meal template.  For example, your breakfast contained no fat and your lunch contained no vegetables.  If you keeping eating like this I'm afraid you will be starving and give in to temptations.  

Also, you really aren't supposed to be tracking calories during the whole30.

I don't say these things to be mean either.   I want everyone of us in this group to succeed.  

Here is an example of what I ate on Day 1:

Pre-workout:  2 hard boiled eggs

Post-workout:  half of chicken breast and about a cup of sweet potato and beets

Breakfast:  3 scrambled eggs, sweet potato and beets, coffee with coconut cream

Lunch:  Baked pork chops, sautéed zucchini and squash, tomato, cucumber, handful of nuts and dried berries

Dinner:  Chicken Stir Fry, blueberries and banana in coconut milk

Well today was not as bad as I was expecting. 

Breakfast: 4 egg whites and a handful of blackberries

Lunch: Tuna, 1/2 avocado

Snack: A few almonds

Dinner (will be): Baked wild salmon with a large side of veggies, and a bit of watermelon

Something I need to work on is according to an app I use to track my calorie intake (MyFitness Pal) I am not taking in enough calories. This has always been a struggle for me so I wasn't too surprised. So I definitely need to work on finding a happy balance.  Somehow, I wasn't starving or as tempted as I thought I would be today.  My sister ate dark chocolate covered fruit right in front of me (my favorite snack) and it didn't phase me like I thought it would. I think one of the things helping me to stay full is definitely all of the water I'm drinking. 

I hope everyone else had a successful first day as well!

Yep, mathgirl is right. You are not eating NEARLY enough, and I don't need a calorie tracker to tell me that. Ditch the app.

Take a look at the meal template and try to make your meals match this three times a day, the first within an hour of wakening. Eat according to the template and you'll cut out the need for snacks.

Some tweaks:

Meal 1 - Eat ALL of the egg - the yolk is the best part, include fat in your meal & switch the blackberries for veggies (at least 1 cup but aim for 3) - fruit should not push the veggies off of your plate.

Meal 2 - add veggies - again at least 1 cup but 3 is optimum.

Meal 3 - add fat (avocado, home-made mayo, olives, compliant bacon, lard, tallow, ghee, schmaltz, coconut milk etc) - what ever type you fancy.

The protein will tide you over until the next meal, the veggies will give you that nice full feeling, and the fat will provide you with energy & keep the cravings at bay. Aim to include at least one fist sized portion of starchy veg a day to help with energy/mood and with the transition from your old diet to the new.

If anyone is interested in joining the facebook group, I started one under:

July 6 Whole30

I plan on bugging y'all lovely peeps in both places, so will share the love all around!  I am just getting ready to eat my roasted broccoli and cauliflower, along with the Chicken Primavera from the Whole30 cookbook for dinner!!!!!  Woo hooo! 

CrystalF, I can't find the facebook group....not sure if it's because the setting is set to closed or what. Any thoughts?

Found the Facebook group and joined!

On to Day 2 - I have to remind myself to drink water! I also am trying to make sure to get my last meal in before 7PM, so I have a couple hours before bed without food.

I see a lot of people asking about breakfast - that is one of my favorite meals and I feel like I eat a ton. Sometimes, I'll prep 3-4 days in advance...you wouldn't think scrambled eggs would hold up that long, but they do. Here is my go to (if anyone is interested):

1/4 chopped onion sautéed with olive oil

Add Pico de Gallo and two handfuls of chopped spinach

Salt and pepper to taste

Add 4 scrambled eggs and mix all together until cooked

1/2 avocado (sliced or mashed like guac) on top

post-68756-0-18921200-1436275648_thumb.j

Super yummy!

Also, I have made egg muffins in muffin tins...grease the tins with olive oil or coconut oil, fill with lots of veggies, and then crack one egg per tin, and bake for 20 minutes. You can get 12 of these done in an evening and then you'll know your exact count for eggs and veggies - you can just grab and go in the morning! (see pic!) Obviously, tweak whatever you need to make them your own...some like to scramble the egg too instead of putting it in whole. But, they tend to overflow then...experiment! I just be sure to have at least one full egg per tin, so I know how many I'm getting in a serving.

post-68756-0-25912400-1436275538_thumb.jpost-68756-0-79744600-1436275543_thumb.j

Just some ideas - hope everyone is doing well today!!

Go DAY 2!

Good morning!  I technically started today, but I'm really having trouble finding a group that started today and has a FB group too.  I requested to join yours and I hope you will let me!

I did a Whole30 the first time in September, 2013.  I felt great, lost 17 pounds, and was really convinced of the benefits of Paleo eating.  Since that time, I try to be mostly Paleo, but there are times when I just get off course.  I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person.  That is, "moderation" never worked for me and I don't believe in it anymore either.

My best suggestion is to read the book It Starts With Food.  It really does a good job of explaining the reasons why our bodies run better as Paleo.  It also helps for when you try to defend your Whole30 to people.  It happens, all the time.  I struggled with "Oh, so it's Atkins.".  No, it isn't.  

One habit that stuck with me from the Whole30 is that my husband and I have breakfast every morning, even when we aren't doing "strict" Paleo.  

I never really was a breakfast person, but the Whole30 changed that.  This morning, we had (compliant) bacon and eggs with sauteed onions and mushrooms, and half an avocado, and coffee with coconut milk.  One of my goals is weight loss, so for the Whole30 I will try to limit my fruit intake to even out my sugar levels and drop in to ketosis.  I don't snack during the day anymore either.

We also determined that we don't really spend any more on food during the Whole30, since eating out is much less frequent and alcohol is nil!!   

Anyway, good luck to everyone and I look forward to checking in with you daily!! 

How can I post photos of my meals on here? Do we have that access?

Kharyn, you just need to click on the "More Reply Options" tab next to the POST tab at the bottom of your comment (before posting). It'll take you to a new view where you can format text, add links, pictures, etc. There should be an "Attach Files" box at the bottom that you can put your pictures in...they can either go at the bottom of your post, or you can input them anywhere in your comment :) When you're done, just click on the "Add Reply" and you should be good to go! Hope that helps!

Hey legallybrunette, this is my first day too!

Judeblueeyes, I have no idea about the dressing recipe, but I just wanted to give you some encouragement. The meal planning and prep does get easier once you get the hang of it. Just remember to always always always double the amount of food you cook so you have leftovers!

Breakfast today was 2 fried eggs, sautéed spinach, sweet potato hash, and a peach. And coffee with coconut milk. Lunch is a simple chicken salad of chicken thighs, apple, purple cabbage, mayo, salt and pepper with raw grape tomatoes and carrots. Probably will have a snack later of hard boiled eggs, nuts, and either raw carrots or leftover sweet potato hash. Dinner will be some sort of ground beef stir fry.

Is wasabi (in a sushi restaurant) ok?

You'll have to ask what ingredients are in it to make sure there's nothing off plan. You basically want them to say mustard, horseradish, wasabi (& maybe tapioca starch...)

Breakfast today was 2 fried eggs, sautéed spinach, sweet potato hash, and a peach. And coffee with coconut milk. Lunch is a simple chicken salad of chicken thighs, apple, purple cabbage, mayo, salt and pepper with raw grape tomatoes and carrots. Probably will have a snack later of hard boiled eggs, nuts, and either raw carrots or leftover sweet potato hash. Dinner will be some sort of ground beef stir fry.

When eggs are your only source of protein you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people.

Up the size of your meals and cut out the need for a snack - you should be aiming to eat enough to keep you satiated for 4-5 hrs with snacking discouraged. Rather than planning to snack I'd plan on eating more. It may take a day or two to figure out just how much you need to eat... In the meantime that snack looks well composed should you really need it out of hunger rather than boredom/habit.

feeling sluggish and unmotivated already! I can't believe it! I was so excited yesterday! 

Are including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day? Are you eating enough fat? Drinking at least half an ounce of water per pound of body fat?

Boy, I'm sure headachy today! I even had to go out in my car to take a quick cat nap during lunch....goodness! Also, I'm not hungry but I'm having the urge to snack...I haven't, just chugging water, but geesh!

Hi all! I just started yesterday, this will be my 2nd W30, last one was May 2014. Success, but fell back into a lot of bad habits. Looking forward to changing that and all the positive Rewards that will follow. So happy I found this group!

Hi all! I just started yesterday, this will be my 2nd W30, last one was May 2014. Success, but fell back into a lot of bad habits. Looking forward to changing that and all the positive Rewards that will follow. So happy I found this group!

Welcome, welcome!!!

You'll have to ask what ingredients are in it to make sure there's nothing off plan. You basically want them to say mustard, horseradish, wasabi (& maybe tapioca starch...)

When eggs are your only source of protein you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people.

Up the size of your meals and cut out the need for a snack - you should be aiming to eat enough to keep you satiated for 4-5 hrs with snacking discouraged. Rather than planning to snack I'd plan on eating more. It may take a day or two to figure out just how much you need to eat... In the meantime that snack looks well composed should you really need it out of hunger rather than boredom/habit.

Hi jmcbn, I planned the snack because I knew from past experience I would be hungry, and I am pregnant. Also we were down to two eggs, normally I'd eat 3. Thanks for the tips though.

Archived