Day 1: encouragement appreciated!

Majudkins

My last post didn't work so I'll try again..

I weighed myself today for the first time in months and the last time in 30 days.. It broke my heart right then and there. I have no idea how I got so big (I gained 50 lbs in the last year and a half- was always fit before that). My engagement pictures are in 2 months and my wedding is a year after that, I don't want to look back at my pictures and cringe at how unflhealthy I look.. Please, for the love of God, let this be my answer. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical but I NEED something to change my life!!

• Administrators

Hi Majudkins,

Sorry you were feeling so heartbroken this morning.  But perk up, you're here now and this is where the buck stops, you can totally make this change. :) You need to look at the unhealthy behaviours that caused the weight gain and then focus on losing those, not mass. Weight loss happens when your body is feeling hormonally safe and balanced so hitting up Whole30 just for weight loss can be a disappointing venture, depending on where you're coming from.  Not to say that you won't lose weight, you probably will, but for some people it can be more of a healing process and less of a complete body transformation process. Remember that the amazing and wonderful success stories are often outliers.

Some things that will make the most difference in the shortest period of time:

• eat breakfast within an hour of waking
  • make sure every meal matches up to our template (linked below) and prepare those meals so that they keep you going for 4-5 hours
  • leave the larabars, epic bars, rx bars and any other bar/snack food at the store, you don't need them, they'll only slow you down
  • follow the recommendations that you will see us making all over this forum including the ones about not eating fruit as a sub when craving sweets and not eating nuts by the mitt-full.

If you have any questions, try googling "Whole30 + your question" but if you can't find an answer, come ask us, there are lots of really helpful and knowledgeable people with your best interests at heart!  

I hope you have a great Whole30 experience. Ladyshanny is dropping some serious knowledge! One thing I have to add is that for a lot of people (myself included) the looser fitting clothes don't happen until late in the game, so be patient if you don't notice changes for the first couple of weeks. It doesn't mean you're not going to see some results with your body composition.

I agree with chezjulie...don't give up in the beginning. Make the commitment to see through 30 days and then some....once you are over the beginning UGHness...the changes happen and it feels great.

I am doing my 2nd whole 30 right now because it feels great and I have years of bad to undo. I went down one size already in my first whole 30 and I know I am going down more now due to loose clothing.

My hair really is thicker.

My skin is looking better (I have rosacea)

I have more energy.

I am NOT NOT craving sugar and rarely eat fruit and if you knew me...you would have never seen that coming! I was the girl with the rows of cookies and the tv when I was happy or sad or angry or bored.

I love basic cooking of meat and vegetables now to just be good to me. 

You ARE worth the effort.

If you make a mistake JUST start it again. You will get it. You can do it and it is NOT hard. :)

Archived