starting today july 11

kim6422

you can cook simply.. meat, veggie, fat..   I rarely make "things"   I sauté or grill my protein, steam cauliflower, glob of mayo on top and I'm set!

But yes there are lots of suggestions.. cruise around the site and you'll see plenty of recipe suggestions :)

I'm re-starting today. When I'm done mourning my lost days, I'll be back to help cheerlead!

Dinner tonight are compliant chicken sausage, sauteed zucchini, green peppers, and onions over cauliflower rice. Pretty darn delicious.

I apologize for the long, random (oh LOOK! a Squirrell") rambling post. Not really a vent- but more of an expunging of ricocheting thoughts. lol

My husband and I started on the 11th.  I was prepared. I researched and compiled information for over a month. I've read both books.  I found plenty of recipes. I love to cook so new dishes are always a joy to try. I went to the store and stocked up. (or so I thought)  I purged the pantry and fridge of all remaining non-compliant foods. (well the most tempting ones- cheese and crackers- I love(d) cheese, dairy.  etc.)  I was mentally prepared.  

Then we started.  Meals are fine, I'm a good cook and a natural at being able to through together a meal with items on hand.  But is it common to feel like you grossly underestimated how many veggies you are going to blow through?  I normally can't validate buying produce at Costco because it's just the 2 of us. But I'm thinking I will have to go there weekly just to eliminate going to the store every.single.day.

I've got a meal plan for the week. I've got "emergency" options (those apple chicken sausages) stuff like that on hand for no excuse to eat correctly. I was already in the habit of keeping boiled eggs on hand.  I'm just finding I have to go to the store... yet... again. for vegetables. But I think I'm getting a better idea of what to expect.  

The good news is that we also have several produce stands and farmers market in the immediate area.  

I am excited though. I got my first cast iron skillet since we moved and now have gas and (my mom always had one and I took it for granted) lol   Wowza- LOVE cooking those fritattas in it!  That's a game changer.  Why did I wait so long?! I am surprised I did not miss the cheese.  huh. 

I still drank my coffee, and no issue with going black. (I went with better coffee) :D  But I definitely fill a bit sluggish. It doesn't help we've had really hot sunny weather and then literally Friday- a switch to gray skies and cooler (much needed reprieve) temps. But the no sunshine is compounding the sluggish (I need a nap) feeling.  I do not crave the cheese and crackers, but I know that's probably where I was over indulging (to name a few)  well... huh. *Eureeka moment*  

Seriously? I need a nap and I'm only on day 2?   I have been working at cleaning up our eating for well over a year.  The lovely pantry I had proudly stocked when we moved in(while not empty) now has more spices and seasonings and completely different products then it did to begin with. 

I started yesterday too! Both days have been good until about 3pm then I start craving sugar. I found a lot of good recipes on Pinterest. I'm not a cook by any means but so far the recipes have turned out really well and were easy.

I apologize for the long, random (oh LOOK! a Squirrell") rambling post. Not really a vent- but more of an expunging of ricocheting thoughts. lol

My husband and I started on the 11th.  I was prepared. I researched and compiled information for over a month. I've read both books.  I found plenty of recipes. I love to cook so new dishes are always a joy to try. I went to the store and stocked up. (or so I thought)  I purged the pantry and fridge of all remaining non-compliant foods. (well the most tempting ones- cheese and crackers- I love(d) cheese, dairy.  etc.)  I was mentally prepared.  

Then we started.  Meals are fine, I'm a good cook and a natural at being able to through together a meal with items on hand.  But is it common to feel like you grossly underestimated how many veggies you are going to blow through?  I normally can't validate buying produce at Costco because it's just the 2 of us. But I'm thinking I will have to go there weekly just to eliminate going to the store every.single.day.

I've got a meal plan for the week. I've got "emergency" options (those apple chicken sausages) stuff like that on hand for no excuse to eat correctly. I was already in the habit of keeping boiled eggs on hand.  I'm just finding I have to go to the store... yet... again. for vegetables. But I think I'm getting a better idea of what to expect.  

The good news is that we also have several produce stands and farmers market in the immediate area.  

I am excited though. I got my first cast iron skillet since we moved and now have gas and (my mom always had one and I took it for granted) lol   Wowza- LOVE cooking those fritattas in it!  That's a game changer.  Why did I wait so long?! I am surprised I did not miss the cheese.  huh. 

I still drank my coffee, and no issue with going black. (I went with better coffee) :D  But I definitely fill a bit sluggish. It doesn't help we've had really hot sunny weather and then literally Friday- a switch to gray skies and cooler (much needed reprieve) temps. But the no sunshine is compounding the sluggish (I need a nap) feeling.  I do not crave the cheese and crackers, but I know that's probably where I was over indulging (to name a few)  well... huh. *Eureeka moment*  

Seriously? I need a nap and I'm only on day 2?   I have been working at cleaning up our eating for well over a year.  The lovely pantry I had proudly stocked when we moved in(while not empty) now has more spices and seasonings and completely different products then it did to begin with. 

Hey TurtleSoup!  I work way too many hours to be able to go to the store that often, but have found veggies that hold longer in the fridge.  Also, at Bed Bath and Beyond they have these little apple things you can put in the fruit and veggie drawers that keep your produce longer.  I also find that if I prep the veggies and just have to reheat them, like butternut squash, it lasts longer and you don't get mad that good stuff went to waste.  Last recommendation is frozen veggies.  The book recommends things like creamed spinach that sound delicious but means you don't have to be at the store all the time.  I was amazed when I saw how cheap frozen cut veggies were in my local grocery store.  If you make your most delicious meals toward the beginning of the week and have the quick to throw together meals at the end of the week, you'll be more likely to stick to it :).. Just my 2 cents. 

Good luck! 

Looking for support to keep this thing going.  does anyone have any good simple recipes.  I'm not much into cooking and I know that is a part of this program. 

Hey Kim6422.  Check out the red pepper sauce in the Whole30 book. Super yummy!  And very versatile.  I made a simple chicken breast in a pan and topped it with the stuff.  Was restaurant quality.  Delicious!

So I originally started on July 7, and then re-started after mindlessly eating the last bite of my kids' homemade fruit ice cream (ugh, it still hurts) So even though we're only a couple day into this...I'm not feeling super energized about the process. The re-start really took some of the wind out of my sails. It will get better, right?

• Administrators

So I originally started on July 7, and then re-started after mindlessly eating the last bite of my kids' homemade fruit ice cream (ugh, it still hurts) So even though we're only a couple day into this...I'm not feeling super energized about the process. The re-start really took some of the wind out of my sails. It will get better, right?

It will get better!  Maybe if it helps, MamaSulu, think of yourself as doing a Whole40.  Then you don't have to go back to Day 1 but you will still get 30 fully compliant days!  Would that work?  I know it's a little mental game but it might work?

• Administrators

Absolutely on the veggies!  If I didn't shop Costco for the veggies I'd lose my mind!  Consider if you are cooking for two people that you need on the order of 18 cups of veggies PER DAY if you both go to the recommended 3 cup veggie allottment.  More if it's salads.  Some of the veggies that I purchase at Costco weekly (I cook for the two of us):

2# bag of french green beans - buy 2/week

2# bag asparagus 

bag of 6 bell peppers

sac of 5 avocados

2 heads cauliflower (or two of the bags of precut)

3 cucumbers

2# container of cherry tomatoes

bag of cut brocoli

2# bag snap peas

Then, less often I buy their huge bag of sweet onions and one of regular onions as well as the large bag of carrots.  I also buy their 5# bag of baby potatoes every couple of weeks.  In the fall when they have it I'll buy the sac of 2-3 butternut squash also.

Although we eat and enjoy our animal protein with every meal, we are heavy on the veggies.  I always serve two veggies with each meal (protein, veggie, veggie, fat) and at least one of those is cooked, usually both.

Our Costco membership is very worth it to me.  We can't afford to do the "everything organic/grassfed" although that would be nice.  So we shop at Costco.  I'm alright with it.  :)

Traveled over the weekend which was tough. Good thing it was only overnight! Had a whole cooler full of carrots, almond butter, Epic bars, sardines, olives, and so on. Meals at home are a breeze at this point. And it's not that hard to say no to the off-program foods. Just have to watch out for hand-to-mouth disease...

Archived