The Science of Starchy Carbs

Noelle

Mods and experienced Whole30-ers often encourage us to eat more starchy carbs as women, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain the science of this to me. Is it just a matter of the female body abhorring starvation? That is, getting enough carbohydrate is important for the hypothalamus to say, "okay, there's plenty of good food coming in," and roots and tubers are the easiest way to do this within a Whole30/paleo template? Or is there more to it than that?

For what it's worth, my own experience supports this entirely. I recently upped my carbs quite a bit, and I just feel so much better. But I'd love to know the science behind it all.

• Administrators

Check out this article....about halfway down she starts talking about Leptin. That should have some info that you're looking for.

http://robbwolf.com/2014/02/20/females-carbohydrates-hormones/

And PS....I have regulated my previously erratic schedule in the last 6-8 months by eating regular amounts of carbs...which has not been super-ideal for weight loss and body composition but has been amazing for mood, libido, energy and hormones.

Thank you! The leptin connection is really interesting. (And I love her for saying "leptin is the new insulin.") It's only been a few days of mindfully upping my starches, but I wonder if that link accounts for the fact that I feel more satiated despite eating slightly less fat. I'm not restricting fats, but I quickly discovered that upping carbs means I don't have to put gobs of fat on my meals for them to last me 4-5 hours. (Or maybe that's a psychological reaction from feeing less restricted?)

Ladyshanny, I continue to be encouraged by your hormone-recovery story. Improved mood, libido, energy, and a healthy cycle are exactly what I'm after!

Archived