Starting July 20 - Who's In?

swithy

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone! I've been MIA since the weekend and because my phone broke - but, I'm back! Sounds like everyone is doing well :) On to day 9, planning to have pork chops tonight, Brussels and new baby potatoes. Yummy!

Also, we are going away yet AGAIN this weekend to our friends cabin. The good thing is that my hubby and I are in charge of breakfast and I have it already planned out. I found an awesome Paleo Egg Bake recipe (w-eggs, sweet potatoes, breakfast sausage, etc). Also will be making homemade quac!

post-68756-0-81338600-1438178177_thumb.j

Also :) I did find some compliant bacon at Whole Foods - Pederson's No Sugar Added Bacon! Super good but it was only 10oz versus a pound and was eaten up pretty quickly between my husband and I (and cost more too!) but it was good!

I'm relieved today because my stomach issues which have been going on for a few days seem to have gone away, and I'm feeling better. Other than that, no extreme symptoms - some tiredness, but that's about it. No major cravings (yet).

Today, I made zucchini fritters with garlic aioli - WOW. Still learning how to get all the liquid out of the zucchini so it's not mushy, but it was still good.

Hope everyone's doing well.

I'm relieved today because my stomach issues which have been going on for a few days seem to have gone away, and I'm feeling better. Other than that, no extreme symptoms - some tiredness, but that's about it. No major cravings (yet).

Today, I made zucchini fritters with garlic aioli - WOW. Still learning how to get all the liquid out of the zucchini so it's not mushy, but it was still good.

I love fritters! I made eggplant fritters the other day and they were really tasty. I bought some carrots and parsnips because I want to try and make a carrot/parsnip patty on Friday.  Did you let your zucchini sit in a strainer with some salt sprinkled on top? That usually helps them drain off liquid.

I love fritters! I made eggplant fritters the other day and they were really tasty. I bought some carrots and parsnips because I want to try and make a carrot/parsnip patty on Friday.  Did you let your zucchini sit in a strainer with some salt sprinkled on top? That usually helps them drain off liquid.

I did salt them and let them drain, but I think I didn't squeeze them enough. They were still good, though. Eggplant sounds good. Is there anything different you do with them?

Hello All,

My Whole30 book informs me that days 10 & 11 are the days when most people go off plan.  I hope we all have a great day; we can do this!  :)

I've been referring to that book a lot, but hadn't looked at the timeline lately....so this was helpful.  The temptation has been a bit stronger lately, it's not really cravings exactly...I just want something sweet and sugary :)  I've been resisting and keep reminding myself of everything I've loved about the last 10 days, I feel good, I feel like my body composition is definitely changing, I have energy, so it's been good and that's what I have to hold onto in the face of those temptations :)  Hope everyone is staying strong and pushing through!!

My stomach issues are gone too. Thank goodness. Zucchini fritters sound super yummy!

I've been referring to that book a lot, but hadn't looked at the timeline lately....so this was helpful.  The temptation has been a bit stronger lately, it's not really cravings exactly...I just want something sweet and sugary :)  I've been resisting and keep reminding myself of everything I've loved about the last 10 days, I feel good, I feel like my body composition is definitely changing, I have energy, so it's been good and that's what I have to hold onto in the face of those temptations :)  Hope everyone is staying strong and pushing through!!

I did the same thing the other night! I left a meeting where everyone was munching on stuff I couldn't have and I was feeling down about it.  I got home and made a list of the improvements I've had and it did really help!

I did salt them and let them drain, but I think I didn't squeeze them enough. They were still good, though. Eggplant sounds good. Is there anything different you do with them?

For the eggplant I used this recipe I found on Martha Stewart and it turned out really tasty.  This isn't a Whole30 recipe, so I adapted slightly by using almond flour, leaving out the cheese, etc.  Basically anything that wasn't Whole30 friendly I left out or changed, but I really liked the spices she used and how that played off the roasted egg plant.  http://www.marthastewart.com/338843/eggplant-fritters

Day 12 is done, but it was a little tough.  I spent the day out in the city, celebrating the last day of summer vacay.  I successfully made it through the water park and walking around the city, but dinner was tricky.  I chose the best restaurant I could think of for communication and options (Outback....Western food is my only shot of compliance in Asia)...I asked my questions, they agreed to cook my steak with olive oil instead of butter, I ate the inside of a baked potato with oil & lemon (apparently they rub the potato skin in butter) and a salad with oil and vinegar.  I can't pretend that I didn't really want the fries (or ANYTHING fried) or to stop for a little gelato, but I didn't.  I feel like I've made so much progress and we're nearly half way through, but then I think, "Ugh!  We're only half through  :o".  I start back to work on Monday, so I'm a little nervous about transitioning to that full time job mentality (and the chaos & stress that comes with a new school year).  

Everyone ready for the weekend?

This week felt like it flew by compared to last week... I seem to have gotten food prep down to a rhythm now. One of the best results of this Whole 30 is that I haven't eaten a single meal out in the past 12 days. And we were habitual restaurant goers before. (Of course, we've doubled what we normally spend on groceries, so it balances out I guess.)

Last night I was craving going out--not for the food per se, but because I just didn't want to do any more dishes. So annoying. But I got through it. 

Got no big plans this weekend, so I'm hoping it'll be easier than last weekend when I was out and about at a bunch of parties and events and couldn't partake in anything. Might go clothes shopping for a treat. 

I've been really tired today and last night I was in a bad mood. I feel a little better now but not sure why I'm so tired. Good luck with your transition back to work. I go back full time August 10th. That's day 21 so I'm hoping the stress of the beginning of the school year doesn't get to me. I've been wanting to go out to dinner/lunch since I just got paid. I'll probably have a steak. I'm getting sick of the same old veggies. Anyone make anything really yummy lately?

So sorry I've been a little MIA, but it sounds like you are all doing great!

They weren't kidding when they said the last few days would be rough. I am not going to lie, I was ready to end the whole thing a couple days ago, but was relatively determined still and then I sliced the top of my finger off (I am okay though!). The combination of just learning to cook, new knives, and a little too soft of a tomato made for a bad evening for me. All I wanted was to get one of my many cravings currently that are not whole30 approved, but I persevered! I ended up eating a potato and applesauce for dinner instead (although clearly not my finest choices) and Google has since taught me how to cut up a tomato better. So I am still in, but I am having trouble with coming up with ideas all the time and definitely so tired of dishes.

Oh and one of my new favorite meals is taking whatever leftover meat I have (pork and beef work best since they have more fat) chopping it up into bite sized pieces and cooking it with my scramble eggs. The fat from the meat gives the eggs such a better flavor and the eggs keep the meat moist (or more realistically I just don't notice as much how the fridge dried them out). I can't image this idea is new, but I felt pretty awesome when I discovered it on my own haha.

I've been really tired today and last night I was in a bad mood. I feel a little better now but not sure why I'm so tired. Good luck with your transition back to work. I go back full time August 10th. That's day 21 so I'm hoping the stress of the beginning of the school year doesn't get to me. I've been wanting to go out to dinner/lunch since I just got paid. I'll probably have a steak. I'm getting sick of the same old veggies. Anyone make anything really yummy lately?

I hope the tiredness gets better. It comes and goes for me.

Looks like there are several teachers here - I go back to school on Monday. We had meetings today and a staff luncheon - I didn't know what they were serving so I brought my own lunch. It was actually my first social outing since starting the Whole30. It was a bit awkward not to be eating what everyone else was, but actually I wasn't tempted by the food (fried chicken, mac & cheese, green beans, cookies and cake), because I think what I've been making for myself is so much better. I only had a few green beans (not sure how they were prepared).

Things will start to get more challenging next week as I get busier and am reminded of past habits with eating. I'm so glad I took this week when I had the time to start the W30 and get used to the cooking. Now I just have to prepare for the coming week.

As for the latest yummy creation - making ranch dressing out of the homemade mayo (from the Whole30 book). And roasted vegetables - sweet potato, yellow squash, brussels sprouts, eggplant (with ranch dressing, of course). YUM. Good for any boring vegetables :)

I had to work our county fair today. Ironically it wasn't hard to resist all the fair food while I was there.  The heat made it so that I really didn't want to eat anything but now that I'm back home...good grief!!  I seriously want a food treat. I know this is just my brain craving that food/reward system but it is so.hard. to resist.  Honestly, I want a giant stack of pancakes.  Ugh.  

Talk about cravings galore! Seems we're all in the same boat the past few days. Today someone got on the elevator at work with a pizza. OMG it smelled unbelievable. It was close to dinner time so I kept telling myself I'll be heading home soon to a great steak and sweet potato! Feeling better now! I'm going to try making the bbq sauce from the book this weekend and drench some ribs with it :-)

Looks like we are all in the same place LOL!

Last two days have been harder.  No particular cravings, just something besides meat and veggies. 

Tonight I want to eat ALL.THE.FOOD.  But I am not even hungry.  I can honestly say I haven't been hungry on the plan.

I made a tomato sauce from some (home) canned tomatoes this evening (while I canned some fresh ones from the garden LOL) and put it over zucchini noodles and some Italian seasoned chicken tenderloin.  I really wasn't a fan.  Zoodles are dumb.

I resorted to a pork chop last night.  First time in over 20 years.  It was gross.  And the watermelon I cut up was not ripe and also gross.  And I roasted yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes.  Guess what?  Sweet potatoes?  Still gross.  Cant get past them.  They are baby food to me and nothing else.  That is all I taste.

Soooo.  Yeah.  I am cranky.

I have been wanting all things non compliant! Luckily I stayed home today but I really want to go to the farmers market tomorrow. Great produce but also so many yummy treats that I can't have. We'll see. Hopefully I can go and get veggies then leave.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories...it's true that working together makes this more bearable.  As I read all the different cravings and struggles we've faced the last few days, I laugh and can totally relate...and it makes it all seem so silly. So, I feel like I can finish up week 2 well with a little help from friends.

I never thought I'd get tired of meat and veggies, but I am there...need to change some things up this weekend before school starts.  A few things that I do that help me (nothing revolutionary..but I crave some of these things still):

1) Roast EVeRYTHING.  Seriously.  There is not a vegetable that is better when it's roasted.  Roasted Cauliflower is one of my absolute favorites, it's like a little nutty, melt in your mouth bite of awesomeness.  

2) Sweet potatoes are really yummy to me when they are roasted and a little "savoury"...so I toss them in olive oil with an onion, garlic, salt & pepper.  SO GOOD!

3) My second fave way to prepare veg is to saute with olive oil or ghee.  I've down this with cabbage a few times because it gets that nice carmelization and with a little salt & garlic, it's delish

Protein is my weak spot, still.  On the go is really tough, but even at home, I'm stumbling more often than succeeding (which is weird because I love to cook and have done it for awhile):

• I tried the burger and it just felt dry (I used a meat thermometer and seared on cast iron before placing in the oven)...I pretty much have to smother it in a simple guacamole to eat more than a few bites.
  • Walnut crusted pork tenderloin...it was ok (the pork was great, very juicy) but I didn't care for the spices, too much paprika
  • Pan-seared chicken breast...good when I made it, terrible when I reheated for lunch the next day

This weekend, I think I'm going to develop more of a meal plan...the last week or so, I've been lazy and just used the meal template to throw together whatever protein I have with some veg...I think I need to branch out while I still have a little sanity and time in my days.  So, I'm going to search out some new recipes to try and maybe make up a few sauces.  I loved the pesto and ate it on so many things, but I need more...especially if my proteins are less than stellar!

I have been wanting all things non compliant! Luckily I stayed home today but I really want to go to the farmers market tomorrow. Great produce but also so many yummy treats that I can't have. We'll see. Hopefully I can go and get veggies then leave.

I know what you mean! My saturday ritual at the farmer's market always included a breakfast sandwich (and sometimes that's all I got). Heading there this morning for eggs and whatever veggies and fruit look good, so I'm just going to have to go past all the prepared food vendors.

Reframing the language you use may help. Instead of saying "treats that I can't have," say something like "certain foods I'm choosing not to eat for 30 days." Besides, you CAN have lots of tasty, delicious food that makes you healthy over the next month.

Today marks the end of another fabulous week.  Hope everyone is doing well.

I went to the city with my mom last week.  Happy to say I was finally wise enough to pack a cooler for my lunch.  Left over pork steak, sliced bell peppers, celery, green onions, cherry tomatoes, and some whole30 mayo with Franks Hot Sauce and chili powder mixed in for dipping.  Oh yeah, and an apple.... While my mom was in the mall I found a shady parking spot and sat there enjoying my lunch.  In the past, I would always eat a bland overpriced salad from Panera.

Another busy week ahead.  I am on week 5 of my marathon training.  Four days of running totaling 20 miles.  Been slacking on my weight training the last couple months.  Going to hit it hard starting tomorrow.  No excuses....

Have a great week everyone!

Archived