Starting July 20 - Who's In?

swithy

This morning was heavenly! I had coffee for the first time in the past 2 weeks with almond milk I made Saturday. Super easy and delicious! The recipe I used had vanilla beans and dates in it. YumMEE! I sat on my deck, face in the sun and drank coffee. I laugh at how I have been missing my twice a week milk chocolate mochas more than my daily diet cokes! I also tried the scallop and blueberry ginger sauce recipe. Very good. I drizzled some of the leftover sauce on some of my eggs this morning too. Happy entry into our third week everyone!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone -- I have been super sick the last three days....haven't been able to keep ANYTHING down...I want to say I've stayed compliant but the only thing I could eat was saltines...So, I'm back on track today though, Cheers to Day 1!...Congrats to all of you who have made it this far!

Hi everybody, 

I guessed I had the same cravings : I think about food all the time, I dream about food, I can smell food from a long distance, etc.

But I had another successful week end. It has become difficult to find compliant food though, because all the good shops are closed in august. 

I had my annual blood test saturday. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but my ratio cholesterol total / HDL was lower than last year (which is good). 

It revealed also that I am in acidosis. I don't know if it is normal when you do whole30. 

Hi Everyone -- I have been super sick the last three days....haven't been able to keep ANYTHING down...I want to say I've stayed compliant but the only thing I could eat was saltines...So, I'm back on track today though, Cheers to Day 1!...Congrats to all of you who have made it this far!

Sorry you got so sick!  Congrats on starting again; that is some awesome commitment.  :)

Hi everybody, 

I guessed I had the same cravings : I think about food all the time, I dream about food, I can smell food from a long distance, etc.

But I had another successful week end. It has become difficult to find compliant food though, because all the good shops are closed in august. 

I had my annual blood test saturday. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but my ratio cholesterol total / HDL was lower than last year (which is good). 

It revealed also that I am in acidosis. I don't know if it is normal when you do whole30. 

Congrats on your lower HDL!  Sorry but I'm not sure about the acidosis-maybe ask in one of the other discussion groups?

• Moderators

What did your doctor say about the Acidosis? In the minimal research I've just done, it can be from diet (malnutrition usually) but it's also linked to medical conditions such as adrenal, thyroid, kidney and liver disorders to name a few things.

So I have had this pound of ground turkey in my fridge for a few days.

I don't know why I bought it, the texture of ground meat is NOT my friend.  But alas, it was there and I had to do something.

I hopped on Pinterest and began looking around.  All the pictures of meatloaf had my gag reflex working in full force and I was about ready to just throw it to the dog when I saw this:

http://www.justusfourblog.com/2015/01/paleo-balls-fire/

Now, I modified the recipe a bit... First off I only had one pound of turkey, so I halved things.  But I omitted the jalapeno entirely, and went a little easier than called for with the cayenne.  Also only used *maybe* a quarter cup of pineapple and skipped the pineapple juice dip. It was enough to get a hint of sweetness without overpowering the rest of it.  And I needed way more toasted coconut than called for.  Also needed a LOT of salt and some pepper :)

Anyway, they were really good!  And they reheated well (I made them a few hours before dinner).  Great little portable protein!

What did your doctor say about the Acidosis? In the minimal research I've just done, it can be from diet (malnutrition usually) but it's also linked to medical conditions such as adrenal, thyroid, kidney and liver disorders to name a few things.

So, yesterday night, I asked my sister (she is a doc). She said that it is probably a metabolic acidosis. It happens when you do not eat enough or have a very low carb intake. Considering my diet, she may be right. 

So, yesterday night, I asked my sister (she is a doc). She said that it is probably a metabolic acidosis. It happens when you do not eat enough or have a very low carb intake. Considering my diet, she may be right. 

Note that Whole30 is not intended to be low carb.  Vegetables and fruit are examples of healthy carbs that you can eat. The guidance is 1-3 cups of veggies at every meal. Further, in cases such as yours, we'd recommend ensuring you consume at least a fist-sized serving of carb-dense vegetables daily. This includes potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips. 

Note that Whole30 is not intended to be low carb.  Vegetables and fruit are examples of healthy carbs that you can eat. The guidance is 1-3 cups of veggies at every meal. Further, in cases such as yours, we'd recommend ensuring you consume at least a fist-sized serving of carb-dense vegetables daily. This includes potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips. 

Actually, that is what I intended to do. I didn't want to bye potatoes in summer at first, but with just fruits I won't make it. :)

Thanks for the advice. 

Cravings are hitting me bad today. I've been alternately craving homemade chocolate chip cookies, and a glazed donut stick from an NYC street coffee cart. 

I thought starchy veg counteracts sweets cravings, but I had a heaping pile of potatoes today at lunch and it didn't help. I'm definitely NOT hungry, just wanting those tastes and textures. 

Sigh...

Cravings are hitting me bad today. I've been alternately craving homemade chocolate chip cookies, and a glazed donut stick from an NYC street coffee cart. 

I thought starchy veg counteracts sweets cravings, but I had a heaping pile of potatoes today at lunch and it didn't help. I'm definitely NOT hungry, just wanting those tastes and textures. 

Sigh...

We typically recommend protein and fat for countering sweet cravings.  Something not sweet.  

On a personal note, lately I love compliant pickles with some olives and compliant prosciutto when I'm hungry or have a long stretch between meals.

The biggie though is to ask yourself if you're truly hungry. The litmus test for that is could you eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli. If the answer is yes, have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat.  If no, do something non-food related. Calling a friend, going for a walk, do a crafty project, paint your nails, dance, whatever.

Yesterday was a true test and I'm so glad I started this all before the school year began and had a couple weeks of practice to fall back on...the stress & chaos of beginning another school year and all the responsibilities made me really want to not care about dinner.  I had to walk by the McD's on the way to the grocery and thought about how much easier it would be to pick something up...but I didn't.  I did, however, take a nap when I got home....so exhausted!  Afterwards, I was able to pull myself together enough to make a fairly simple dinner of sauteed cabbage, chicken coated in almond meal & dipped in buffalo ghee sauce.  Nothing to miraculous, but it was whole30 approved and pretty tasty...I even avoided the temptation to take a quick taste of my flatmate's meal (chicken & rice with cream sauce)...yay for progress.  

The crazy thing is, I don't really have cravings...but I feel like I'm supposed to crave and want things.  It's like when you walk through the grocery store and I begin to turn down an aisle, only to realize it's all the (formerly) yummy snack food stuff like chips, soda, cake, etc.  I immediately think "Abort!  Get outta here, flee temptation!!!"  and then I think about the fact that I don't actually care, I have no intention of picking up any of the products, no desire to eat them...and I realize I don't really have cravings.  I just feel like I'm programmed to want to desire certain things and I'm re-training my brain to realize that I don't actually want them at all.  It's kind of empowering to realize I just don't care about that stuff (I realize there are days where I may feel a little weaker, and maybe will need to actively avoid being around this stuff).

One of the things I like the most about Whole30 is the variety of food I'm eating now.  Prior to Whole30 my diet contained very little variety mostly chicken, bread, cheese, pasta etc. and in the last 17 days I've had 11 different types of protein, 16 different types of fruits, and 19 different types of vegetables!  I love knowing that my body is getting such a diverse amount of nutrients. :) 

There is a lot I find hard about Whole30 and I continue to struggle with a lot of food cravings but I am feeling really proud and happy with all of the food types I'm eating!

So, I'm noticing a pattern. 

Last night I didn't want dinner...all day the thought of food was making me feel a little nauseous, and I decided to skip dinner. Wasn't hungry at all. 

In fact, the last few days, there were a couple instances where I skipped a meal for whatever reason. 

I flipped through my notebook from my first Whole 30 back in May, and exactly at the same time, Days 15-18, I wrote that I was skipping meals cause I either felt sick or not hungry. 

I know part of this is just W30 fatigue, and it definitely passed last time. Plus this time I was sure to vary my meals a lot more and make a lot of exciting things so I wouldn't burn out on tuna salad. But it was so weird to realize that the exact same thing that happened last time is happening now. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

So, I'm noticing a pattern. 

Last night I didn't want dinner...all day the thought of food was making me feel a little nauseous, and I decided to skip dinner. Wasn't hungry at all. 

In fact, the last few days, there were a couple instances where I skipped a meal for whatever reason. 

I flipped through my notebook from my first Whole 30 back in May, and exactly at the same time, Days 15-18, I wrote that I was skipping meals cause I either felt sick or not hungry. 

I know part of this is just W30 fatigue, and it definitely passed last time. Plus this time I was sure to vary my meals a lot more and make a lot of exciting things so I wouldn't burn out on tuna salad. But it was so weird to realize that the exact same thing that happened last time is happening now. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

I had this too, both times around. Like you on my second W30 I made a point to vary my meals more, try new recipes, etc, but still got struck w/ lack of interest. Good news is it lasted all of a day, instead of the 3 days it lasted on my first W30.

I had my first food dream last night! Wheat thins and potato chips. Ha! I don't even eat those much, but my brother was asking me to go buy these things and I didn't know if I should or not and he kept bugging me and bugging me! Then the dream moved on to other things. :-)

Just trucking along.

It hasn't been too bad, but honestly?  I am kinda over it. 

My skin is clearer and I have a bit more energy, but I have been battling headaches since the first day.  My milk supply is down.  I am sick of meat. 

I am seeing it thru, til Sat anyway.  That was my plan all along though.  It was always a Whole25 for me.  I didn't want to put it off another month, but I wasn't ever planning to stay OP this coming weekend.  I have a once a year trip and it *will* involve drinking.  It is one of like 3x a year I drink and I am going to enjoy it without guilt. 

I feel like I have had some decent weight loss too, so I may start another round after a few days off.  IDK.  I am not really craving anything, I am just sick of all the meat. 

I'm still in it as well.  Yesterday was stressful/hard but today has been better. I spent the morning making chili, salmon cakes, and sun dried tomatoes for the week's food.  Tomorrow I'm roasting a chicken! We are so close to almost being done!  That is what I keep repeating to myself.

Still here and making progress...a few food dreams (baguettes!!) and small temptations, but nothing too crazy.  I have had some digestive issues the last week, which is weird...not quite sure what was different from my first two weeks.  I've been trying new recipes lately, which has helped with food boredom...especially since I'm back at work again.  The big thing for me is that I am planning on continuing past my 30 days...I knew I was adding two days all along (I discovered at the end of week one that I had carageenan in my coconut cream on Day 1 & 2)...but now I don't really want to stop.  I feel pretty good, not 100% great...still some issues I wish would resolve themselves, but I can definitely tell a difference from life pre-Whole30.  I'd probably just continue on indefinitely and do it gradually, but I need to complete the re-entry stuff before I start traveling mid-September (SE Asia is not very whole30 compliant).  Still thinking through the best way to do that.  I've been reading the forums and looking back to the book for some help.  But I think I will at least go through September 1st...though honestly, life would be much easier (and cheaper!!) if I wasn't trying to be whole30 compliant when it came to work events and social stuff (I can't really afford many more $40 steaks...Singapore is expensive!!) 

Hope you all are still pushing along...we've nearly done it and it's going to feel so good to know that we made it through to the very end.  Stay strong!

Still here and making progress...a few food dreams (baguettes!!) and small temptations, but nothing too crazy.  I have had some digestive issues the last week, which is weird...not quite sure what was different from my first two weeks.  I've been trying new recipes lately, which has helped with food boredom...especially since I'm back at work again.  The big thing for me is that I am planning on continuing past my 30 days...I knew I was adding two days all along (I discovered at the end of week one that I had carageenan in my coconut cream on Day 1 & 2)...but now I don't really want to stop.  I feel pretty good, not 100% great...still some issues I wish would resolve themselves, but I can definitely tell a difference from life pre-Whole30.  I'd probably just continue on indefinitely and do it gradually, but I need to complete the re-entry stuff before I start traveling mid-September (SE Asia is not very whole30 compliant).  Still thinking through the best way to do that.  I've been reading the forums and looking back to the book for some help.  But I think I will at least go through September 1st...though honestly, life would be much easier (and cheaper!!) if I wasn't trying to be whole30 compliant when it came to work events and social stuff (I can't really afford many more $40 steaks...Singapore is expensive!!) 

Hope you all are still pushing along...we've nearly done it and it's going to feel so good to know that we made it through to the very end.  Stay strong!

I've been trying to decide if I should try and go past the 30 day mark too. Sometimes it feels completely possible and other times I can't wait to get my hand on a bowl of cereal. I hear you with the expense part of it too. I'm thinking about maybe reintroducing honey, milk, and oatmeal back and seeing how that does.  What I really want to commit to is buying less premade food and sticking more to the homemade.

Congrats on getting this far; I hope the transition was ok once you went back to work.

Archived