Migraines

I'm only 3 days in and I'm dealing with migraines already, is this typical? I've dealt with migraines on and off for a good part of my life and they typically crop up during periods of major stress. I'm a grad student and taking the summer off so I'm at an unusually low period of stress and I haven't had one for months. However, I had a migraine yesterday (day 2) and a baby one this morning. Is this normal when going through the Whole30? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I get migraines too though my triggers are usually hormone related.  It could be that your body is "detoxing" right now.  When you first start to eat a clean diet, your body will flush out all the icky chemicals that were in your tissues.  It can take a little while and it typically makes you feel crummy.  Maybe this is triggering a migraine.  The good part is that the detoxing stage doesn't last too long.  I'm on day 23 and truly feel so much better!  Hope this helps!

I used to get a couple migraines a month, each lasting from 2-4 days. For a good part of the first 10 days or so of my whole30 I had pretty miserable headaches. Since that time, however (early February of this year, so almost 6 months), I have had ONE migraine and no other headaches, and the migraine lasted less than a day. Hang in there, hopefully things will smooth out for you!

• 2 months later...

I had a similar/related question.. Heard from many people who suffer w/migraines that they had virtually ceased having them or they had decreased significantly. I am on day 10 of the whole 30 and truly have seen no change whatsoever. I am strictly 'compliant' with meals, foods, quantities, etc... So am a little frustrated. Is this something that improves much later in the process - or perhaps afterwards? I' m sure it isn't the magic cure for all migraine sufferers, so just wondering...

• Moderators

I had a similar/related question.. Heard from many people who suffer w/migraines that they had virtually ceased having them or they had decreased significantly. I am on day 10 of the whole 30 and truly have seen no change whatsoever. I am strictly 'compliant' with meals, foods, quantities, etc... So am a little frustrated. Is this something that improves much later in the process - or perhaps afterwards? I' m sure it isn't the magic cure for all migraine sufferers, so just wondering...

10 days is not really long enough to see huge changes. Some people may see them that early, but there is a reason this is the Whole30, not the Whole10. If you want to make sure you're on the right track, food-wise, you could list a couple of days' worth of food (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, and sleep, and we can take a look and see if anything stands out that might help.

On my first Whole30, I had a migraine for at least 3 days during the first week and I felt tired and sluggish. I am pretty sure that was from detoxing from carbs/sugar. Felt great after the first week. Then took a 3 week reintro break and started on my second Whole30 which I am currently on day 16. No headache in the first week but I did feel tired and sluggish, now I feel great again. In both cases it took a good 2 weeks for me to get over the detox/lethargic period until I felt significantly better health/energy wise. I did have an ocular migraine today which went away in 1/2 hour but I know I did not drink enough water yesterday and I worked out in the evening, so that wasn't from Whole30, just my carelessness.

I hope my experience gives you an idea of what can happen but please keep in mind that its your Whole30 and everybody is coming from a different place when they start out. The best thing to do is post your diet/lifestyle so a mod can confirm that you are on the right track. A migraine is no fun!

I should mention that I get ocular migraines on a regular basis, but they have significantly decreased on the Whole30. I still have to be careful about my hydration, food intake, activity levels and amount of sleep I get.

Archived