Ideas for 4th Mini Meal for Busy Mom?

I'm on day 10 and feeling good, although pretty hungry most days.  I think I need to add a fourth meal to keep up with my needs for nursing.  I have a 2 month old newborn (and a 4 year old) to take care of every day while I'm home on maternity leave, so I could use ideas for quick meals.  I'm finding I'm spending all day in the kitchen!  I would love your suggestions (pictures welcome!).  

As an extra challenge, I'm attempting to also do the autoimmune protocol, and removing eggs, nuts and nightshades.  After the birth of the baby I had a relapse of rheumatoid arthritis (hadn't had symptoms in almost 20 years), so thought it was time to do a reboot, and the whole30 has been great!

Thanks!

Canned protein like tuna, salmon, or chicken should be easy to grab and prepare. I'd also suggest roasting a big hunk (or two) of meat on the weekend (roast chickens, beef roast, pork shoulder, etc.) and shredding up the meat to use as meals and snacks throughout the week. Sweet potatoes are also easy to prepare in bulk--roast them whole or dice them up, coat in fat, and roast the cubes. I also like slices of roasted kabocha squash straight from the fridge, but those take a little more muscle to cut-up and prep.

There are compliant guacamoles on the market and some of them even come in single serve containers so it's easy to just open one and dig in with carrots, celery, or whatever else you like to dig in guacamole. Pair that with your protein and you've got a pretty well-rounded snack.

I was just about to post the same question- I also have a 2 month old (and a 2 year old)!... cooking a 4th meal is really unappealing at the end of the day! I'm going to try having hard boiled eggs on hand (which I know won't work for you), and am willing to experiment with canned sardines and other canned, oily fishes? I remember eating proscuitto wrapped avocado as a snack on another round... 

Maybe a batch of frozen meatballs that could be sauteed with some veggies would help, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

...cooking a 4th meal is really unappealing at the end of the day!

I love the Whole30 guidelines, I love the moderators (thank you, moderators!), but that "add a fourth meal" recommendation makes me want to cry every time I see it. And I make that recommendation to people all the time! Because it's the right thing to do. But I remember being SO TIRED when my daughter was new and my son was in preschool and "What? A fourth meal? You mean, I have to cook again?!"

I think we get hung up on the word "meal." "Meal" sounds so elaborate! At least it does to me.

My "template in a hurry" go-tos:

• can of fish, thumb of mayo, carrots

• cold cooked chicken, handful of olives, cucumbers

• leftovers! (I always pack leftovers up in "portions" so I can "grab-and-go" later)

Burger patties and meatballs are great to make up in advance. A double batch of meatballs doesn't take much longer to prepare than a single batch.

Another lifesaver (though not AIP-friendly—sorry!) is a big crustless quiche, made in advance and cut into squares or wedges ahead of time. It's even good cold. My standard recipe is a dozen eggs, a 16 oz bag of frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained), a pound of browned ground meat, and whatever seasonings I feel like. Mix it up, pour into a well-greased 9x13" dish, bake at 350F for 35 minutes.

Archived