Ilissa's whole 30 journey

idauria

I started whole 30 last week so i have a week's worth of paleo meals under my belt. But I still think this log is a good way to stay accountable.

For breakfast today I had a smoothie. I used to drink protein shakes for breakfast every day. I really miss them. But today I made it without the protein powder. Instead I used 2 tbs of almond butter instead of one to replace the powder. I also threw in 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries and a big handful of kale plus a cup of unsweetened almond milk. It wasn't the same but it was acceptable and a good alternative to eggs, which I don't love.

For lunch I ate a small salad with only balsamic vinegar and leftover meatballs on top of a sweet potato fritter.

Dinner will be baked fish with sauteed spaghetti squash.

• Moderators

Glad you are here! Welcome.

There are a few problems with breakfast. 1) Drinking your meals is not a good idea. Your body responds to liquid food differently than whole foods and you do not achieve the same feelings of satiety. 2) You were very light on protein and you want to have a good, palm-size portion of protein at every meal and especially at breakfast as that tends to set the tone for the day. 3) Unless you made your own almond milk from almonds and water, what you used in your smoothie was probably not Whole30-compliant. The stuff you can buy in a carton at the grocery store has additives that you should not be eating.

Thank you for your comments, Tom.

I was concerned about the protein since the powder I normally use has 25 grams. I know I was nowhere close. As for the mik, I use Silk brand and I don't think it has any of the ingredients that are banned on the challenge. I was considering making my own but if I can't drink a smoothie at all then I'll probably just stop buying it since that's the only time I use the almond milk. I just don't enjoy eggs too much and I don't like eating a big meal. I am open to suggestions though!.

Day 8.

Breakfast: Sweet potato fritters, 1 tbs almond butter, 1 peach. My stomach hurts. I am not used to eating all this food for breakfast. I have a very sensitive stomach which is why shakes work for me. I have to figure out what's giving me heartburn right now. Could be the fritters that were fried in coconut oil or the eggs in the fritters or the peach. Nut butters don't usually bother me. But I know things with a lot of fat do. No more fritters for me. Don't know what lunch will be yet but I do have dinner already planned out.

I am pretty proud of myself for resisting my craving for something sweet after dinner last night. I can't say the same for today though. Mid afternoon I got such a strong craving and I gave in. But I didn't have candy or anything, I ate a dried fruit and nut mix. But I had more than I should have. I'm not even hungry for dinner. I might not even eat dinner tonight. If I get hungry later I might just have some veggies and call it a day. Bad bad bad. Tomorrow is my birthday and it's going to be rough not being able to have dessert but I will persevere and not give in.

For meals today I ate egg/sausage/veggie casserole for breakfast and a salad with roasted chicken, diced apple and sliced almonds for lunch. Dinner was supposed to be steak and sauteed kale.

Day 10 lunch: salad with light tuna(no soy!)

Dinner: Out with family for my bday...I was good...grilled fish with steamed veggies. I even made sure to tell them no butter on anything. No bday dessert for me. I did treat myself to a tablespoon of sunbutter though!

Day 11. Breakfast was sweet potato fritters with sunbutter. Lunch was 2 hard boiled eggs and raw peppers and carrots. I also had some trail mix. That stuff is hindering me though. I have been using it as a crutch for my sweet tooth. I also believe the dried fruit is giving me stomach aches. I have a stomach ache now after eating the eggs, pretty much confirming my egg sensitivity.

Dinner will be chocolate chili from Well Fed. Also making mashed cauliflower. Prob can't even eat the chili because my stomach hurts.

Day 12. Ate leftover chili and cauli mash for breakfast at 8. It was a pretty large bowl and I didn't even get hungry until 2pm! That was my intention though. I think I wasn't eating enough at mealtime and then finding myself hungry and looking for snacks 2 hours post meal. I like being full, it removes cravings. I ended up eating lunch at 2:30, which was a chicken breast, sauteed bok choy, and a half of a sweet potato. I baked the potato in the oven for an hour. I forgot how good it is that way! I could eat sweet potatoes for every meal if they were prepared that way. They don't even need butter or salt or anything. Tonight hubby and I are going out to a party. If I get hungry I will have to be very prudent about my food choices. I think they are catering mediterranean food so I think at the very least they'll be protein I can eat. We'll see. I am not consuming any eggs or nuts or dried fruit today. Was relying way too much on nuts for snacks. Need to find an alternative should I need to snack.

Archived