djoyce

Hello Fellow W30'ers

I am no expert but I am doing this thing and maybe my experience can help some of those lurking and worrying about the changes W30 will make to your life.

When I was considering doing the Whole30 Challenge (about Page 4 in the book), my biggest fear was coffee without my beloved sweetener and cream. Let me tell you that I am a coffee drinker and it is my only traditional vice and my entire adult life (actually started drinking coffee at 9 years old) I have enjoyed my coffee.

I always had one Splenda (or other sweetener, when not available) and a good shot of cream (18% or 10%) in my coffee. Not too long ago, I used to count my coffee consumption by the pot. One in the morning and one in the afternoon.

This is not the case anymore but I still enjoy my one - three coffees a day. My drink of choice is Starbucks Americano Coffee with a close second being their French Roast.

I started W30 17 days ago with a lot of concern over the impacts that this program would have on my coffee enjoyment and consumption. I new that making dietary changes and cutting out coffee was out of the question for me. Fighting the W30 fog for days 2 and 3 was bad enough without having to fight off coffee withdrawal too.

I went black coffee - cold turkey. Days 1-3 (honestly) were all about consuming the coffee to avoid caffeine withdrawal rather than any real enjoyment of the beverage. On Day four... this began to change as I decided that I wanted this "new definition" of coffee. Yesterday, (Day 16), I found myself questioning if after day 30, "will I re-introduce Splenda and Cream to my coffee?" Boy was that a revelation. Just over two weeks between choking it down to feed the caffeine beast to actual enjoyment of the dark beverage - without additions.

I read...

W9_FINAL_LOGO_HIGH_RES_300_DPI_normal.jpg

Watching people at Starbucks add stuff to their coffee is horrifying.

... on Sunday morning and was laughing how my perception has changed.

Maybe, like me, you are sitting on the fence because of coffee and your love of the morning java with cream and/or sweetener. From my experience, with only a little time, I made the switch and enjoy my cup of Joe, just how it comes out from the barrisa.

Don't let coffee be your excuse not to apply yourself to the W30 program. You won't regret it!!!

Cheers

DJ

I just want to add that cold-brewing can make a huge difference as well. I followed another poster's advice and cold brewed it and actually enjoyed two cups of black coffee today! I'm not quite as dedicated to it as you though as I can not have it and be fine, I just really enjoy my morning java. So cold brewing was quite a revelation for me.

I used to take 3 heaping spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee before going paleo and cutting coffee out altogether. Went back to coffee when I tried some fresh roasted and good dose of cream. Now I can actually see myself drinking it black (as long as it's cold brewed).

Here's the link if you want to try it. http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/08/the-perfect-pre-workout-coffee.html

Enjoy!

• 9 months later...

Oh it's day 4 for me and I find the coffee hard to compromise on most of the time I didn't drink it with sugar just milk and its the milk I am missing, I love coffee and have at least 8 to 10 cups a day. But I have put my big girl pants on and am drinking it black, after trying coconut milk and almost vomiting wow that was not a good taste for me! My coffee this morning tasted better than the one last night so hopefully very soon I too shall be scorning those half decafe mocha with hazelnut and vanilla drinkers.

10 cups??? Wow, I'd be bouncing off walls and probably wouldn't sleep for a week :D For me, Whole30 allows me to establish a healthy relationship with coffee ;) I'll have a cup sometimes (black or with coconut milk) - either for a taste or to avoid falling asleep at my desk ;) but I'm happy to break my addiction to Starbucks and my wallet is even happier :)

I've been having black coffee for a while....with stevia. The only way I can have it without is if I add coconut oil, or coconut milk. I want to try bulletproof coffee, but don't have any ghee yet - I've whizz we my coffee up with some coconut butter though, that's pretty good :)

Hey all

Just thought I would provide a little update.  It has now been 10 months since my "black coffee" post and I am happy (exstatic actually) to report that since my first W30 experience, I have never gone back to dairy or sweetener in my coffee.  I am a black coffee fan now and have no desire to do coffee any other way.  My preference is a black Cafe Americano from Starbucks which is black espresso mixed with hot water.   A wonderful beverage if you are interested.

I am now on my 3rd W30 and doing really well.  I restarted on July 1st and going strong!!!

Cheers

DJ

Welcome to the black coffee fan club DJ!!

I am a big advocate on black coffee- never been a big fan of sweetners in it. I do love French press made coffee. SOOOO strong and dark, LOVE IT. I consider getting anything other then my black coffee a "treat" or "dessert" since it's so sweet and sugary...

Glad to hear that 10 months after that you have maintained the love of caffeine in a more controllable way. That is excellent news!! I hope everything else is going smashing for you, mate!

Cheers!!

-LP 

DJ, which is weird to day as my name is DJ as well...   Thanks for your post!  I can so relate to the biggest fear I had starting.  I literally wake up looking forward to my desert...er creme with coffee and two splendas!  Day four into the program, so I can hardly boast of anything, but I'm typing right now with a black coffee next to me and I am fine.  The cravings were really tough days 1-2, but seem to have faded significantly.

I lift my cup to you!  Thanks.

DJ

Archived