Really confused

marciphoto

I'm 6 days in and spent a lot of time reading the forum this past weekend.

I read where people have had to start over because of hidden soy, rice flour and glycerin in supplements. I am having trouble finding supplements that don't contains these ingredients.  The fish oil can be bought in liquid form, but I really don't see myself being good about taking it in liquid form.  (unless cooking with it is ok?)

Then I read a moderator say "I don't worry about the glycerin in supplements".

Then I read where a few people say you can't use Montreal Steak Seasoning -( listed ingredients :  coarse salt, spices (including black and red pepper), garlic, sunflower oil, natural flavor, and extractives of paprika.)  What about this makes it off limits?

Then I started reading about sulfites.  I have been using balsamic vinegar which I had thought was compliant - until I read the label and it says "contains sulfites".  So I got rid of all my balsamic vinegar that say that - which was all of it.  Now I read that ALL vinegar contains sulfites.  

So now I need to start over as I have been using balsamic vinegar with sulfites, taking supplements made with glycering and rice flour, and using Montreal Steak seasoning.  

This is really frustrating.  I am starting to thing this plan is a waste of time and energy.

• Moderators

Deep breath! It is a challenge shopping when you begin!

You will have problems finding supplements without junk in them. You are eating the most nutrient-dense food, you likely don't need them. Give real food a chance, you can always start your supplements again after your whole30.

Edited: Glycerin is a sneaky sugar. Though the small amount in a supplement might not affect you, Save it for after your whole30. The other ingredients you listed are not.

If your vinegar says "contains sulfites" it is ok. If the INGREDIENTS LIST has sulfites, that means they were added. That is not ok.

If you read the discussion thread about Montreal Steak Seasoning it is discussed there that they have changed the ingredients, not uncommon. This is why we tell you to always read every single label and not go by brands. Brands differ by region and again, they can change ingredients whenever they want.

Hang in there and keep up the good work!

marciphoto,  this is your first week.  It takes about 10 days before you're in the full swing of things.  Give it some more time.  Don't overthink the ingredients.   I can pull up a recent post for you by Melissa about not sweating the micro minutiae of every ingredient.   Don't go there, you might talk yourself out of the progress you've already made.   Keep going.

When in doubt, leave those things out.  I didn't use any supplements for 30 days or branded seasonings.   I used simple one ingredient items.  I embrace simplicity.  

Here's a Melissa quote that I really like.  Balance.

“But one thing is certain—in the case of nutrition and health, the science can be confusing and can lead to “paralysis by analysis” (a state in which you take no action because you’re not sure what to do).” 
― 
Melissa HartwigIt Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways

Before we get too deep into this #julywhole30, here's some sage advice from Whole30 co-creator Melissa Hartwig:

"I'm seeing a theme right now on #Whole30 social media, so let's talk about the difference between being attentive-slash-dedicated to the Whole30 rules and boarding a bus to Crazytown.

Read your labels. Every label. If you don't know what something is (like "natural flavors"), look it up for your own benefit. This is encouraged. It's a good habit to get into, knowing what's in your food and drink, and on the Whole30, it's essential for making sure you're not accidentally consuming something that could break your "reset."

However, you won't always know where ingredients come from, and when it comes to research, sometimes you have to just say enough is enough. Did your waiter say there is no sugar in the sauce? Cool. Please don't head back into the kitchen to interrogate the chef. Did a crouton from the neighboring salad bar tray ever fall into the kale you're about to eat? Please tell me this is not something you would actually consider as a non-celiac. Do labels fail to specify exactly where their "natural flavors" come from? They're not off-limits on the Whole30, so call it good and enjoy.

You COULD abstain from anything you aren't 100% certain about, but are you getting a little too pickypants here? You could skip the kale or the sauce just to be safe (that waiter did look a little shady), but I'm calling that taking your #Whole30 into obsessive territory. And start looking up any ingredient and you'll find a reason not to eat it; spinach contains toxic mineral-stealing oxalates, "natural flavors" could be derived from the anus of a beaver, and ingesting citric acid can tie up your fate profit strings. (Only one of those statements is false. Probably.)

My point is this: there's a fine line between attentiveness and crazytown. At some point, you just have accept that you are staying compliant with the rules, make the decision to eat the thing, and move the heck on. Let's keep it in perspective, people... if natural flavors is the worst thing in your diet, you're doing okay."

Archived