Question about reintroduction

amg871

I am on Day 6 of my first Whole30 and really enjoying the program.  I had a question about reintroduction though.

Please note, I do believe that we should eat meat for protein.

I had a college friend that was a vegetarian that went back to eating meat.  I can't remember the circumstances, but the first time that she ate meat, she felt awful.  Granted, it could have been a McDonald's hamburger and not a grass-fed steak.  So even though I believe it was better for her to eat meat, it made her feel sick the first time that she ate it because she hadn't eaten it in a while.  It makes sense that if one was a vegetarian, it might be hard to eat meat right away.

So I was wondering if there might be foods that, while they would not be bad for me personally in the long-term (ex. legumes,) I might have a short-term reaction to them because I haven't eaten them in the past 30 days.

Or should that be sorted out in the reintroduction period?

Hope that makes sense....

• Moderators

During a Whole30 when you are not eating gut disrupting, inflammatory foods, your stomach sloughs off the thicker mucosal lining that it develops to protect you from irritating foods. When you reintroduce, you will feel more irritation than you did previously. The irritation was always there, but you may have become insensitive to it because of the protection that developed. Anyone who wants to keep eating a food can just keep eating it. The stomach will regrow the thicker mucosal lining and the same protection they had before will return.

The reason vegetarians may feel bad when they eat meat is that their bodies adjust gut bacteria to digest plants and down-regulate bacteria to digest meat. So when they eat meat, their stomach doesn't deal with it efficiently. If they keep eating meat, they will grow the bacteria they need. Or they can take digestive enzymes to speed the process. 

During a Whole30 when you are not eating gut disrupting, inflammatory foods, your stomach sloughs off the thicker mucosal lining that it develops to protect you from irritating foods. When you reintroduce, you will feel more irritation than you did previously. The irritation was always there, but you may have become insensitive to it because of the protection that developed. Anyone who wants to keep eating a food can just keep eating it. The stomach will regrow the thicker mucosal lining and the same protection they had before will return.

The reason vegetarians may feel bad when they eat meat is that their bodies adjust gut bacteria to digest plants and down-regulate bacteria to digest meat. So when they eat meat, their stomach doesn't deal with it efficiently. If they keep eating meat, they will grow the bacteria they need. Or they can take digestive enzymes to speed the process. 

Interesting!!  Thanks so much.  Ann Marie

Archived