Coconut milk from a carton?

eao249

I have a question about coconut milk when used as a fat source. I know the guidelines say one serving of fat would be 1/4-1/2 of a 14 oz can of coconut milk. I'm wondering if you can drink the coconut milk that comes in a carton as your fat source? If so, what would a serving size be? I know that I would need to check the labels and make sure the milk doesn't have any non-compliant ingredients. 

• Administrators

We don't recommend drinking any milk substitute beverage; the idea behind those measurements is for putting it in coffee/tea or in a soup or curry so that you have a general idea of how much you would need to consume in order to count it as a fat.

Liquid calories digest much faster than whole foods and bypass the satiety markers that your body sends so as far as your body is concerned, it doesn't recognize the beverage as food and continues to send hunger signals.  

As far as the coconut milk in a carton, I am lucky that I can find it in the ethnic aisle at my major grocery store and the ingredients are coconut milk and water.  It's really good.  Since a can is usually around 10 oz, you're looking at needing 2.5 - 5oz as a fat serving.  

Archived