Legs don't want to run

PaulaSab

I did the whole 30 throughout July this year.  Previously I had been eating Paleo since March, except when I was on holiday for 2.5 weeks.

I noticed that ever since I started eating Paleo and during the Whole 30, I found it difficult to actually run.  Very annoying as at the start of the year I had run 2 x 10Ks.

I am eating potatoes, as I love them, although I didn't when eating pure Paleo.

What can I do to get my legs working again?  

Paula

Breakfast - normally pork/lamb mince, potatoes, eggs

Lunch - if I'm working, then salmon, avocado and cucumber, if not working then probably same as breakfast

Dinner - meat/fish, potatoes/sweet potato, veg (e.g. cauliflower/broccoli)+ strawberries & coconut (organic) milk

I drink about 4 mugs of coffee with coconut (organic) milk through the day unto 6pm.

+ water.

The composition of your meals doesn't look too bad to be honest, although you could maybe add some fat to breakfast...

How much water are you drinking? Are you salting your food? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you stressed? Are you taking scheduled rest days?

Post WO you should be having a lean protein & starchy carb - the fat in your egg yolk will slow down your body's ability to absorb the protein so you should aim to change that up.

Re adding fat to my breakfast - I put in a thumb full of coconut oil, as I use it to fry the pork mince and eggs.

I drink quite a lot of water, particularly in the evening.  I only put salt in my food if a Whole30 receipe suggests it.  

I leave at least one day in-between my runs.

Not sleeping that well at the moment, but not sure why.  Might be too much computer before bed.

Could you give me an example of "Post WO you should be having a lean protein & starchy carb".

Thanks

Paula

The fat you use for cooking doesn't really count as most of it stays in the pan - try adding an additional fat source along with your eggs & mince.

The recommendation for water is to drink at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 140lbs you should be drinking 70oz water.

Salt all your food - particularly if your diet preWhole30 contained a lot of processed food.

You could add a magnesium supplement to improve your sleep, and cut back on screen time for an hr or so before bed, use a black out blind, limit blue light in your bedroom etc. You should be aiming for around 8hrs seep. Lack of sleep is a stressor, and will have a knock on effect on energy levels etc throughout the day.

An example of a postWO meals would be something like chicken & sweet potato, or tuna & carrots - avoid fruit as this will restore liver glycogen and you want to be restoring muscle glycogen. Also avoid fat postWO as this will inhibit the body's ability to absorb the protein.

Having a similar problem. Today was supposed to be a ten miler, last weeks was 15 (I was on day 1 then now on day 7) I only made it 4 miles before my legs, back, everything cramped and just quit. I'll have to finish the other 6 this afternoon, it's weird because yesterday I ran 4 no problem. And last weeks 15 was easy (but I still had some carb storage). Pre-Run an hour before I had a small elk burger and about a quarter of an avocado. Last night I had a salmon cake made with sweet potato and about 2 cups of veggies with 1TB homemade mayo. I just had a PwO meal of a salmon cake (figured protein and sweet potato carbs) I wouldn't normally have a PWO meal after a 4 Mile run but I feel super weak. Also had some water with lemon and sea salt. Hoping this difficulty running doesn't last long

Most people find they have legs (& arms) of lead for the first two weeks & then things really start to improve. Your pre & postWO sound good to me, so provided you're meals are composed well I'd say just keep on keeping on and you'll soon see improvement.

Most days I treat my pre and post as my breakfast. Lunch is typically assorted veggies and chicken, elk or tuna with homemade avocado coconut milk dressing, dinner is salmon, elk, venison and squash/zucchini/eggplant (whatever is ready in the garden). If I'm doing a double day I have a pre workout snack of a hardboiled egg. I'm sleeping/drinking a ton of water but I haven't taken a rest day in the last 7 days which could be contributing to exhasution

It's def taking time for my stomach to get accustomed to food volume. I'm so used to making Vega Protein shakes (which are all plant protein/as un-processed as you can get) but my tummy is so used to quick liquid fuel/calories that it's taking time to get my stomach used to getting calories in with real food. It'll be a process but def worth it in the end

• Moderators

Re adding fat to my breakfast - I put in a thumb full of coconut oil, as I use it to fry the pork mince and eggs.

I drink quite a lot of water, particularly in the evening.  I only put salt in my food if a Whole30 receipe suggests it.  

I leave at least one day in-between my runs.

Not sleeping that well at the moment, but not sure why.  Might be too much computer before bed.

Could you give me an example of "Post WO you should be having a lean protein & starchy carb".

Thanks

Paula

Paula,

We highly recommend you limit your coffee consumption to just a couple of cups, and always before noon. Caffeine is a lot more powerful than we give it credit for, even if you don't feel a buzz, it can really affect your cortisol. Try cutting back or at least stopping by noon. Turning off the screens and/or investing in a cheap pair of blue-light filtering glasses should help too.

It took me quite awhile to become fully fat-adapted and feel like I could run well again. Make sure you are getting enough magnesium. That and plenty of carby veggies, which it looks like you are eating, will help.

Good luck!

Archived