Started my 1st time Aug 21- with limited meat dishes

Harborsailor

Started yesterday, and am seeking some guidance for those if us who aren't much on beef or fowl. I'm not a vegetarian per se, but limit meat to eggs, fish, seafood and a bit of bacon or sausage. Any hints for some of the meat heavy meals in the book?

Something for the pals I hope to meet here- Cinnamon Tea

1 quart of water

Several cinnamon sticks (3-8 depending how strong you like it)

Put cinnamon sticks in water and bring to barely a boil

Turn down heat and simmer for 20- 30 minutes

Can drink this iced or hot, "straight" or use it to flavor regular tea or other drinks. It is particularly good when a sweet craving hits near bedtime.

This "tea" is beneficial in other ways too. It reduces inflammation, fights bacteria in the body, and helps with circulation. I made it at work, and now the staff keeps some in the frig all the time!

The basis of the Whole30 really is meat, vegetables, and good fats with a little bit of optional fruit. That said many people do Whole30 using just eggs and fish as their primary protein sources. Bacon we consider to be more of a fat/condiment as it is hard to get enough protein from bacon. Sausage you need to be careful there is no added sugar. Make sure when eggs are your primary protein source you eat enough...as many whole eggs as you can hold without dropping them.

The meals in the book are what we consider optimal for the program but you can go your own way.

I'm curious as to why you limit beef and fowl but pork is alright. No judgement just curious in where you are coming from as it might help us.

Over the years I have lost my appetite for most meats. Looking back, I didn't like beef much, but it was the staple meat growing up and we ate what was served. Have never been a fan of lamb or venison, but have cooked a lot of it!

Part of the not eating much meat is both their taste and texture are no longer desirable. Yes, I read in your book about disguising the texture, but that lacks integrity. I will still fix the occasional corned beef and cabbage on a cold rainy day (not this month!) Even the pork is limited and eaten rarely. Mostly bacon to flavor dishes, the occasional pork shoulder or ham.

I still use broths and buoillons, and still cook meat dishes when entertaining, which is often. However, most people I know are reducing their meat intake. Some of that is due to the way animals are treated (mistreated) in the food chain, some is from discomfort at eating living breathing creatures that interact with us when they are alive, and there are probably other reasons I am not aware of.

Something else- I know many vegetarians or almost vegetarians, and none are unhealthy. They also do not suffer many of "aging" maladies that are so common among meat eaters. I also know many meat eaters, and most are unhealthy. There are probably others factors that influence the health factor, but the biggest common denominator so far seems to be the amount of meat in their diet.

Last thing- I feel better eating less/no meat.

I guess I've had the opposite experience to you as I've met a lot of very unhealthy non-meat eaters and I myself feel so much better eating more meat. I get the ethical stuff which is why I try to source ethically and humanely raised meat and eggs and fish even though it costs more. I just feel better about that. At the end of the day I don't feel bad about being at the top of the food chain though. Our bodies were built to process meat and really 3 palm sized portions of protein a day isn't a huge amount of it especially when you are heaping loads of veggies next to it.

You are obviously welcome to disagree with the Whole30's stance on meat but that is the program and Melissa and Dallas stand by the research that they have published on their website and in their 2 books. Both of them used to be vegetarians by the way. 

This article may or may not help you. http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Regardless of how you decide to go forward I wish you the best of luck with your Whole30.

Wow! I re-read my post, had my friend read it, and no where do we see where I disagreed with the Hartwigs! It is neither implied or alluded to. Just as some people prefer cornbread, and some prefer biscuits, there isn't a right or wrong. Just a taste preference.

All I did was answer your question. In the response to my answer, though it was stated there wouldn't be, there is judgment- and a bit of preaching. So disappointing. I didn't realize Whole30 had that kind of attitude.

Though I signed up for it and paid for it, I have not gotten the daily supportive email today and it is late evening. Then I sign on and read how I am judged just because I don't like the taste and texture of certain foods! Wow!

I'm sorry if I offended you or came off judgmental as that was not my intention. Please remember that you lose a large part of communication when you use the internet and it is easy to misread people's tones and attitudes. I'm willing to admit I misread yours. 

I was responding specifically to this paragraph in your post:

Something else- I know many vegetarians or almost vegetarians, and none are unhealthy. They also do not suffer many of "aging" maladies that are so common among meat eaters. I also know many meat eaters, and most are unhealthy. There are probably others factors that influence the health factor, but the biggest common denominator so far seems to be the amount of meat in their diet.

Last thing- I feel better eating less/no meat.

If you choose to do the program with just eggs and fish and some pork that is entirely fine. I gave you some resources that the Hartwigs put out on meat aversion in case you wanted to tackle that and explained (I thought) why the recipes in the book and the program focuses on meat. 

Again, I apologize for rubbing you the wrong way. My intention is to help you get the best experience from the Whole30 you can get.

Archived