Lancer's second Whole30

LancerLott

My first Whole30 was a Whole60 (Yes, I did it for 60 days), because I needed to do alot of work then. I/m determined to do it better this time and to also learn more afterwards, by participating more in this forum (I had a not so good experience with some of the forum members in the past, but I am past that now).

I start this Friday, and I"ve already made some foods that are 100% compliant (I never strayed much from the Whole30 meal map even afterwards- snacks and adding things to meals liike occasional cheese or non-gluten grains being the only issue), to get me started off right. The reason I'm waiting till Friday is I am going to a friend's birthday bash at a club where our favorite bartender is pouring at, and it's pizza night there (when I was eating pizza, post-Whole30, on occasion, it was only ever gluten-free pizza), and I'm going to have some so I can join the party for once. That's it- my dinner tonight is organic roasted chicken, carrots, and onions, and a salad with Tessamae's balsamic dressing. My breakfast tomorrow is the chicken frittata (straight from the "It Starts With Food" book), and my lunch is to be yet determined tonight (I plan on roasting some angus grass-fed beef in my crockpot with some celery and herbs, or making a salad with HB eggs, chicken, olives, cucumbers and Tessamae's balsamic dressing). I sometime used half and half in coffee and on occasion added in some flavoring when I ordered Americano's at the coffee shops (no more than once a week); otherwise, I've gotten used to and enjoy drinking my coffee from a french press or from concentrate that I make at home, and only using canned coconut milk in it. Its mostly been great but I've slid too much down the grain and sugar paths.

Today I didn't look closely at my lunch, and I dipped a carrot stick into my portion cup that I re-packed from yesterday. It held Sunbutter, which should not have sugar added to it, IMHO, but it does. I put the lid back on and put it in my locker, making a mental note to put it back in the jar in the far back of the fridge later. I bought some raw almond butter yesterday to replace the Sunbutter with, that I'll pack for tomorrow.

It held Sunbutter, which should not have sugar added to it, IMHO, but it does.

If you buy the organic, it does not have added sugar.  Just in case you really love Sunbutter and want another option.  :)

http://smile.amazon.com/SunButter-Organic-Sunflower-16-Ounce-Plastic/dp/B002OK2FCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442602115&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+sunbutter&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Today is difficult. I didn't bring a big enough lunch to work with me today (a salad with chicken breast, HB egg, olives, etc.), so I'm really going to eat a big dinner tonight.

In retrospect: a mini-meal would have helped. I need to find ideas for mini meals and go-to meals ASAP! 

This afternoon, I thought I'd be crashing from not having a big enough lunch, but I had some Mint Medley herbal tea, and oddly, that, along with sips of water, have kept me going at work! FYI- I work in a salon, so on my feet, doing alot of different things (all kinds of haircuts, face waxing, and and color applications). 

Hey, that "no sugar added" is a NEW product.  I was not aware of it.  Cool.  

Used to be, had to buy organic to get no sugar.  Which is just silly.   :rolleyes:

Yes- apparently it is very new. The Safeway only has the "Natural" one (with sugar). Last night, my husband and I went up to our local Co-Op store to see what they had. They had the organic one, but not the one without sugar. We bought it (pricey but worth it), and had one taste and it was better than the other brand that has no sugar in it (I'll have to look that up later). Then he had a great idea to add sunflower seeds to the Sunbutter to make it even better tasting, and crunchy too! I keep sunflower seeds and all of our nuts in the freezer, so they're handy to add to dishes. We might even get a nut grinder to make our own- saving even more money. Oh wait- I just found out we can make it in our food processor! http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2012/09/homemade-sunflower-seed-butter-extra-creamy.html

As it is, I have to take a supplement that requires nut or soy milk (A fiber supplement), and since there's NO compliant milk alternatives anywhere, I've been making my own almond milk. Messy and spendy, but worth it. 

So, today went a little better, in some ways. I planned a mini-meal and also then ate my lunch in 2 sittings, so I was able to make my food last throughout my very busy workday today (been working since 10 a.m. and still here). I'll make it to dinner, since I've only got 1 more hour here of work, and my wonderful husband is making dinner- paleo hot dogs in sweet potato "buns" (one of our favorites), with homemade mayo and ketchup; cornichons, onions, and organic dijon yellow mustard. 

Mini meal was 1 HB egg, celery and carrot sticks, and almond butter.

Lunch was a large salad with braised chuck roast beef, onions, cukes, black olives, and Tessamae's balsamic dressing.

All righty- today I had more breakfast casserole (so delicious!), roasted beets and carrots with pork tenderloin topped with tomatoes and onions, and a mini meal of sugar free bacon, carrots, and sunbutter (organic, sugar free), because I cooked a pile of foods and got hungrier than usual. Dinner will either me tuna cabbage casserole or paleo chicken fried steak. Veggies and salad on the side, of course.

I have a moderate amount of energy. 

It's good- as expected with the amount of things I did today. Of course, I always want *more* energy, because I'm an over-achiever. But it's great, really. I did alot of things today, and dealt with 2 phone calls to my business' Internet provider. In the past, when on phone with other businesses, usually someone pisses me off. Today, they didn't, and I managed to be patient so they could do their job and keep my hurried-ness in check. 

Dinner was great- ended up having the CF steaks with sweet potato and a green salad; taking the tuna casserole to work to have for lunch tomorrow. Right now, having plain green tea, and I'm not hating it (That is very unusual for me), and I'm back at it- a few more tasks to complete today; then PT, then Netflix with the hubs; then sleep!

So yeah. Today I got alot of things done that I've been putting off. Organized all of my business files from this year that were in stacks of doom; annoying me. I went to work and did alot of chores, because I had time and no one else could be bothered. Thing is, I didn't tire out as easily as usual, so that was great. I needed energy later for when my clients showed up for their haircur appointments. 

Breakfast was the same awesome casserole; lunch was the amazing tuna cabbage casserole, and dinner was paleo chicken fried steak topped with a couple sugar free bacon slices and paleo gravy (made with arrowroot powder, coconut milk, bacon grease, and salt and pepper), with roasted cabbage and butternut squash on the side. Delicious; definitely a treat meal!

I have SO much almond meal right now, from making my own almond milk this past week (to take with my fiber supplement my naturopath has me on), and I think I'll make a meat loaf tonight with that. I've got homemade paleo, sugar free ketchup to put in it, and eggs, herbs and spices, and I think it'll be a great weekend dinner to eat. Must have greens or a salad with it also. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Right, then! I just had lunch- I thought it wouldn't be enough (and it wasn't), and I'm working till 7:00ish tonight, so I need to be full till I get home to make dinner. Instead of having Larabars or going to Subway to get a salad with tuna that might not be compliant, and eating it dry because I don't hav compliant dressing with me (I've done this in the past and also, it didn't fill me up), I had the forethought and planned to bring a mini-meal. 

Lunch was tuna cabbage casserole, but it was only 2 cups' worth. I did have 2 brazil nuts with it, on recommendation to have brazil nuts with tuna from a few people here in this forum, but yeah, still not enough. I had 2 mini meals in the work fridge. I had one today- it was an Epic bar, which I learned about here in the forum. It was completely compliant- it contained grass-fed lamb, mint, currants, and no sugars, dairy, or anything else we're not allowed to have. I also had some organic carrot sticks, which I cut up and brought here from home, and some organic Sunbutter that is also sugar-free, that I dipped my carrots into. It did the trick- I am fully satiated and have energy to go about the second half of my workday! :D

So yesterday we were out house hunting (just to see what's out there, and there were several Open Houses in the neighborhood we were visiting). We had brought a mini meal but we wanted to go to one of our favorite places to have lunch. We did, and we told the server what we thought she needed to know that we couldn't have, before ordering. She suggested a couple of things, and we look at them and we decided to order "Tacos Alambre", without the tortillas. This is what their menu states is in the portion that we got: "St Helens grass fed hanger steak, green peppers, white onions, bacon and avocado (3 tacos)". 

When we got them, they had bacon in them, which we didn't notice till we started eating them, because it everything in the dish was minced. When she asked us how everything was, I told her that we were unaware that the dish would have bacon in it, and that all bacon (except the kind WE buy from the Co-Op) has SUGAR in it. So, did i mess up my Whole30 because we finished the dish, then went back to the car to have some carrots and sugar free Sunbutter? Are we at fault? Do we have to start over?  :huh:

There is an article that the moderators frequently post, to reference about whether you need to start over or not.  Maybe google "whole 30 do I need to start over" and see if you can find it.  

But I can tell you this:  Accidental sugar does NOT require a re-start, and there is no way I would start over, in your shoes.  :)

Archived