Day 22 and I'm still feeling bad

seberger22

One of the reasons I wanted to do whole30 was because I have some digestive issues. Not sure if it's IBS or what but I get a lot of stomach aches or nausea and often have abnormal bowel movements. I had eliminated gluten before (less gas seemed to be the only benefit) but nothing else. So I wanted to see if this would make me feel a lot better and be a lot more regular. The first week I was getting stomach aches after every single meal. That got a bit better but I'm still getting a lot of stomach aches (MORE than usual actually) and having very liquid bowel movements. I've been eating apples and applesauce daily which In the past has bothered my stomach/intestines at times so I decided I would stop eating them. Haven't had apples in 3 days or applesauce in 2 and I'm still having stomach aches (I've got a bad one right now that I've had pretty much all day) and yucky BMs? Is there any explanation for why I would actually feel worse during Whole30? I thought it would get better but now I'm almost done. Not sure how to tell what's causing problems during reintroduction if not eating these things caused problems too!

Okay, thanks. Here is what I have eaten the past 3 days:

Sunday:

Breakfast- 2 eggs

Lunch- 1 baked sweet potato with salsa and 1/3 nectarine and a handful of cashews

Dinner- cauliflower rice, chicken, cauliflower, potato, and peas in an Indian spiced tomato sauce

Drank about 6 glasses of water this day

Monday:

Breakfast- 2 eggs

Midmorning snack- Cherry pie Lara bar

Lunch- 1 banana with a spoonful of cashew butter, 1 can of tuna with 1 chopped tomato and 1 tablespoon Tessamae's lemon garlic dressing

Dinner- handful of cashews, 1/3 of a chicken sausage, cauliflower rice, cauliflower, potato, and peas in an Indian spiced tomato sauce, handful of grapes

Drank about 11 glasses of water this day

Tuesday:

Breakfast- 2 eggs, handful of cashews

Midmorning snack- Apple pie Lara bar

Lunch- 1 banana with a spoonful of cashew butter, 1 can of tuna with 1 avocado and 1 tablespoon of Tessamae's lemon garlic dressing

Afternoon snack- 1/2 a handful of cashews

Dinner- baked chicken and salad

Drank about 9 glasses of water today

Sunday and yesterday, I was still having a stomach ache throughout the day. Today I'm feeling much better. Not sure why or if it will continue...

Here's the things that stand out for me as likely culprits with your stomach issues:

- nuts (including Lara Bars)
- cauliflower
- raw veggies
- not enough water

I would suggest dropping the nuts, Lara Bars, cauliflower (along with any cruciferous veggies), raw veggies and switch to all cooked veggies, to see if that brings you relief.  Plus, increase your water intake to 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Further, I see a couple other items worth mentioning:

- peas. Peas are a legume and not Whole30 compliant.

- you're not eating enough at some meals (the composition of your meals and snacking in between illustrates that). Have you seen the recommended meal template? For best results, create each meal to contain 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. (A palm is the length, width and thickness of the palm of your hand.) Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. You want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Your 2 egg breakfasts are missing veggies and fat. You had a lunch with no protein, another lunch with no veggies, and dinner with 1/3 of a sausage. Further, when eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

- if you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components

Archived