My Whole30 log-starting 10/11/15

Raineyrk

I'm hoping that by keeping this log I'll be able to better keep track of what I'm eating and I'm hoping that posting my meals will help keep me accountable!

Im doing whole 30 because I need a push to become healthier. My husband and I are hoping to get pregnant soon and I want to be as healthy as I can be for our future baby. Also, I'm tired of not having energy. Since school started I haven't been exercising and I've been eating tons of junk - I felt awful and I need a push to get back in shape!

Today's meals:

Egg, homemade sausage (hamburger with spices), sweet potato, spinach, and strawberries. So yummy and I was perfectly satiated!

Grilled chicken, carrots, and broccoli (was NOT hungry after such a big breakfast!)

Stew meat cooked in the crock pot, roasted potatoes, banana with almond butter and strawberries

Exercise - about 30 minutes after supper, fitstar for 30 minutes

I am too full from supper to eat after my workout - tomorrow I'm going to eat smaller portions at supper so I'll be able to eat again after exercising.

Breakfast - two eggs, hamburger, sweet potatoes, and strawberries

Lunch - spinach salad with grilled chicken, tomatoes, strawberries, and balsamic vinegar/oil dressing, a handful of almonds, and an apple

Supper - leftovers from yesterday, but a smaller portion - roasted potatoes and stew meat

Exercise - walked about 4 miles over the course of the day and did a fitstar session. I was so weak while exercising - and not just because it's been a while since I've exercised. This was different. And now I am exhausted, barely have the energy to sit up! I'm assuming this is normal as my body gets used to the new energy sources?

Post workout meal - two eggs, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes

Water - I drank a total of about 3L today

Question about the meal template - am I supposed to have only one serving of a fat per meal? So if the veggies are roasted in coconut oil or I used olive oil in the salad dressing, I shouldn't also eat an avocado? Thanks!

Question - last night I was abnormally weak and exhausted, had a hard time getting up this morning, had a hard time eating enough breakfast (still ate an ok breakfast, just probably not enough) and now I am pretty lightheaded. My brain seems to be moving very slowly and its commands to the rest of me (walking, typing, etc) seem to be delayed. I'm not really hungry though, which is strange because at this point in the day my stomach is usually growling! Is this normal? Or do I need to be eating more? 

Day 3

Breakfast - two fried eggs, handful of homemade sausage, fist of sweet potatoes, half an avacado. Had a very difficult time eating and wasn't able to finish

Lunch - handful of grilled chicken, handful of strawberries, half an avacado, handful of spinach, balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing, banana, handful of almonds

Supper - 1.5 palm sizes of grilled chicken, 3-4 small purple potatoes roasted in coconut oil, small handful of sweet potatoes, sauteed tomatoes and spinach, thumb full of almond butter

Today I was pretty lightheaded.. Feeling this hangover phase something awful! I also feel like my brain is not working well and I'm exhausted! Not going to exercise tonight, I don't have the energy. On the bright side, I'm feeling less bloated, my skin is a little clearer, and I'm not having the digestive issues I was yesterday.

Day 4

I feel so much better!!!! Still a little tired, but way more energy than yesterday. I wasn't lightheaded today, which was awesome.

B - two fried eggs, sweet potatoes, banana with almond butter

L - 1 palm size of chicken breast, 3 roasted red potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

S - almond and mustard crusted swai with half of a roasted zucchini and a roasted carrots

Was feeling some pretty strong food boredom, but supper fixed that!!!! It was delicious!

Day 5

Today I realized the emotional hold food has on me. I was doing great until grief hit and then my cravings also hit hard. I know food can't fix anything and I'm trying to remember that and focus on why I'm doing this. I do feel much better physically - this morning, I only pushed my snooze button one time! Yesterday, I pushed it for an hour. Because I got up on time, I was able to do a load of laundry and prep more sweet potatoes!

B - sweet potatoes, two fried egg, shredded chicken (crock pot overnight), and spinach. Kept me full until lunch and was so yummy!

L - shredded chicken and sweet potatoes, half a roasted zucchini, an apple and a small handful of almonds - when people walked into the lunch room they said "what smells so good?" And they were talking about my food! That does not happen often lol

S- shredded chicken, sweet potatoes, a whole avocado, and a fried egg

Still debating whether to exercise tonight... Maybe some yoga, my muscles are pretty stiff. I exercised last night and it felt great! More energy and strength than I've had in a while. I ate two eggs and sweet potatoes afterwards. I'm not used to post workout meals, so that's been an adjustment, but I think I like it.

Day 6

B -fried egg, shredded chicken, handful of sweet potatoes, zucchini, a fourth of an avocado

I was running late and didn't get to eat but about half... So I was pretty hungry pretty quick

L - the rest of my breakfast, plus more shredded chicken and half an avocado

S - buffalo chicken stuffed pepper. Yummy but oh my goodness it was spicy! I could only eat one pepper and some homemade guacamole

I track my sleep using my Fitbit... And the last two nights it's been so much better!

Day 7

One week! And today, we survived a friend's wedding reception and a movie night with friends - both of which would have been full of sugar before.

B-3 scrambled eggs and leftover buffalo chicken, sweet potatoes

L-pork tenderloin (at the reception - no sauce), banana and almonds once I got back to the car

S-spinach salad with balsamic chicken, apples, crushed almonds, and balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing

Day 8 (yesterday) was the hardest yet! We went to my in-laws to watch a football game, and despite her kindness in pulling out some soup before adding the non-compliant ingredients, the abundance of delicious and non-compliant snacks was torture! Last night I dreamed about cookies and Graham crackers ha-ha. But we made it! It helps that so many people know we're doing this, otherwise we might have quit yesterday. Another co-worker is now doing this with me!

So yesterday's meals were:

B- shredded chicken, eggs, and sweet potatoes-very rushed because we were late for church.

L- buffalo chicken (less spicy, put peppers in this time) and sweet potatoes

S-at my in-laws, potato soup (potatoes, chicken broth, and onions), tried to eat the chocolate chili I had waiting in the crock pot when we got home but it was WAY too spicy -any tips on how to dilute the spiciness? I added a can of tomato sauce and another of canned tomatoes. Ended up eating a little bit of scrambled eggs, chicken, and sweet potatoes. Not ideal, but we made it through the day!

I also exercised, which felt great! I had some fish and carrots for my post workout meal.

B-fried egg with buffalo chicken and... I don't remember what else. But I'm sure I ate some veggies? Maybe sweet potatoes?

L-buffalo chicken mixed with steamed spinach and roasted zucchini, a large apple

S-chili again (last time I will be able to eat that -ugh) mixed with butternut squash and roasted potatoes

B-two fried eggs, potatoes, and homemade ketchup that was now that good... But I'm not sure what was wrong with it.

L-qdoba catered for a PD session, I ate the chicken, beef, pico, guacamole, and lettuce - it was delicious and I went back for seconds!

Got home earlier than usual and went running! I took both dogs for the first time ever, it was a gorgeous day, and so fun! They went 1.7 miles and I took them home (they need to build up slowly) and I went another 2 miles. This was the first time I've run in months, and, although I went slow and had to walk sometimes, I was amazed at how much more fun it was than it would have been before whole30! Post meal was two fried eggs and roasted potatoes.

S-first date night on whole30! I got a 6oz sirloin, sweet potato, and steamed veggies, all with no butter. It was so nice to have something a little different and that someone else cooked!

B-two fried eggs, a little buffalo chicken (getting tired of spicy!) and potatoes. I didn't eat enough, so I was hungry by 10:00

L-buffalo chicken, butternut squash, an apple, and almonds

Again, didn't eat quite enough (we need to go the the grocery store) and was hungry by 2:00

2:00-handful of nuts. Not ideal, but it was all I had at work

S-b for d! Homemade sausage, two scrambled eggs, plenty of potatoes, and a large handful of strawberries

I wore a pair of work pants today that I haven't worn for a while because the waist was always uncomfortably tight. Today, they were so loose they looked weird and didn't fit right for that reason! We are finding it easier to plan compliant meals, which is really nice.

Day 12 (yesterday)

B - two fried eggs, potatoes, strawberries

L-chili, potatoes, spinach with strawberries and balsamic vinegar/olive oil

S-b for d - 3 scrambled eggs, potatoes, strawberries

Day 13(today) - we went to the store, but I didn't have meat prepped. Didn't get enough protein, so I feel awful still - lesson learned!

B-two fried eggs, over a cup of steamed spinach, potatoes, orange juice

L-spinach with strawberries and balsamic vinegar/olive oil, apple and banana with almond butter

S-stir fried in olive oil - chicken, fish, zucchini, tomato, broccoli, carrots. This meal filled most of a large bowl and was half meat/half veggies.

I am exhausted, had horrible cravings, and actually felt nauseous for some of today - which made me realize that the nausea that had become a normal part of my mornings is gone! Even when I've been hungry, I haven't been nauseous!

Day 14

B-kitchen sink scramble -3eggs, half a zucchini, half a tomato, broccoli, grilled chicken, about 3/4 of an avocado

L-market salad from chick fil a, no dressing, cheese, or any other condiments (my grandmother is recovering from surgery and we brought her lunch)

S-going to red lobster for my sister in law's birthday. I'm excited for seafood! Hoping to get grilled scallops and shrimp with no butter, steak, and broccoli.

Day 15-halfway through!!!!!

Pre-wo-small piece of grilled chicken

FitStar (30 minutes HIIT)

B-same as yesterday but no avacado, added potatoes

L-stir fry with chicken, fish, tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, and an egg

S-grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, and half an avacado - boring, but I was in the middle of cooking and prepping and hungry!

After cooking everything I ate a small piece of the quiche I made and some roasted potatoes.

Day 16

B-1/8th of the quiche (8"pie plate) - very unappetizing, and I could barely finish it. The sweetness of the potato is a bit much, which is hilarious considering how much my tastes have changed! Surprisingly, even though it wasn't much food, it kept me full until about 11

L-spinach, balsamic chicken, tomato, and spinach salad, balsamic vinegar/olive oil, banana, half an apple. This filled me up but didn't last... I need more protein at lunch I think

Snack - piece of quiche when I got home from school. This time I reheated it in the skillet instead of the microwave and salted the potato part and it was much better.

S-grilled chicken "nuggets," potatoes and kale with sunshine sauce

Planning on exercising tonight... Either have some quiche or eggs and potatoes for a post workout snack

Day 17

Breakfast - 1/4th pan of quiche, and I was hungry by 9:30! I don't know why half that amount filled me up yesterday and I was so hungry today! So tomorrow I will add some chicken as well

Lunch - leftover stir fry plus kale and carrots, banana

Again, I was hungry very quickly - not sure why. I was so hungry I started having headaches and feeling sick. I bought some almonds, cashews, and pistachio mix and some fruit juice after school and that helped for a little bit

Supper - smoked and pulled roast beef (about 2 servings), handful of roasted potatoes, kale, homemade ketchup

• Moderators

Day 17

Breakfast - 1/4th pan of quiche, and I was hungry by 9:30! I don't know why half that amount filled me up yesterday and I was so hungry today! So tomorrow I will add some chicken as well

Lunch - leftover stir fry plus kale and carrots, banana

Again, I was hungry very quickly - not sure why. I was so hungry I started having headaches and feeling sick. I bought some almonds, cashews, and pistachio mix and some fruit juice after school and that helped for a little bit

Supper - smoked and pulled roast beef (about 2 servings), handful of roasted potatoes, kale, homemade ketchup

On the super hungry thing -- many women find that in the week leading up to their period, they are really, really hungry, so maybe that? If that's the case, eat plenty of starchy vegetables. This thread has some discussion of why this happens.

Day 18 - I've come to the conclusion I wasn't eating enough before, and that's why I was so hungry!

B-half a chicken breast, two eggs, handful of steamed spinach, large handful of sweet potatoes

L-half a chicken breast, about the same amount of pulled beef, handful and a half of sweet potatoes, handful of steamed kale, closed fist of cashew/almond/pistachios, homemade ketchup

I have been SO thirsty! I've already drank over 64 oz today, and feel like I haven't drank anything!

We are going to my moms for supper tonight-first time eating out with family since we started w30. Plan is hamburgers (we just won't eat the buns), side salad, fruit, and I'm bringing my homemade ketchup!

Shannon, that helped, thank you so much!!! I didn't think of that. I will keep adding more starchy veggies.

day 19 (yesterday)

B-same as day 18

L-chicken breast, spinach, sweet potatoes

Snack-nuts when I got home from school

S-turkey burger, potatoes, avacado, eggs

Day 19 was a very difficult day emotionally. I almost quit. But the fact that my husband is doing this with me and everyone knows about it got me through it!!

Day 20

B-1/4 pan of quiche, egg... Very unappealing, but I was late and didn't have time to fix anything else

L-chicken breast, spinach, broccoli, ghee Apple, nuts

Actually a little apprehensive about supper as we will be attending a make-a-wish event... But if there's nothing I can eat, I'll just eat when we get home!

Today has not been easy... I haven't been surrounded by so many sweets since probably the day before Christmas break last year! Ptso gave us donuts and candy for breakfast (which are still sitting in the workroom), I had an ice cream party for some students who won a contest at lunch, my team had ice cream cake for someone's birthday, I have chocolate in my drawer as a prize for a review game, and I'm sure there will be candy at the event tonight! Usually I would be feeling so much worse... nausea, blood sugar craziness, lethargic... And I'm feeling great! I've made it through two very difficult days and I'm very glad. Im wearing jeans that are usually way too uncomfortable to wear all day, and they are very comfortable. So I'm choosing to focus on that

Day 22

B-sweet potato and apple hash browns (best hash browns I've EVER had, and so easy!), half a chicken breast, and two scrambled eggs

5 mile hike with the dogs - we did the same hike a few months ago and had to stop to rest multiple times and were exhausted and sore afterwards. This time - we ran some of the way too and were never even out of breath! We only stopped because the dogs needed water. It was awesome!

L-weird timing because of a late breakfast and the hike, we weren't really hungry and wanted to save room for supper - two fried eggs and the rest of the hash browns (probably about 1/4 potato)

S-steamed scallops, broccoli, spinach, carrots, and cabbage at a Chinese restaurant for my sister in law's gotcha day. I was so worried I wasn't going to be able to eat anytime - so glad they had steamer bowls! There wasn't any fat, so I'll probably eat some nuts or almond butter when we get home - I'm still pretty hungry.

Archived