BBQ Sauce

Patronick328

If you have the book It Starts With Food there is a great one on page 278.

1 cup tomato sauce - 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce = 2 TBSP cider vinegar = 2 Tbsp coconut aminos (that is like soy sauce and you can get it at a health food store) - 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard = 1 tsp hot pepper sauce - 1/4 tsp pepper - 1/2 Tbsp clarified butter or coconut oil - 1 clove garlic, minced - 1 tsp chili powder - 1/2 tsp paprika - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) - pinch of cloves.

Whisk tomato sauce, apple sauce, vinegar, coconut aminos, mustard, hot pepper sauce, and black pepper until combined. Heat the clarified butter or coconut oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, then add the garlic, chili powder, paprika and cayenne stirring until fragrant about 30 seconds. Whisk in the sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer gently, uncovered for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is thickened and flavorful. Cool to room temperature before using and store covered in the refrgderator for up to one week.

hope this helps

Ok, I tasted the sauce and I found it too hot for my liking. I will say that I am a wuss when it comes to heat/spicy level so for less sensitive people it might be fine. The recipe called for 2 tsp cayenne and I added a little less. I should have only used 1. Also, it's not sweet enough. I know, I know we're supposed to be retraining my taste buds, but I don't think the pineapple is enough sweet too offset the heat. I wish I could dump some honey in there!

Archived