starting today again........

Lessser

This is my 3rd start in over a month.  There always seems to be party, book club or dinner out.  My downfall is definitely the wine before dinner, with dinner and after dinner.  I'm so used to coming home from work and walking in the door and pouring a glass to relax before I start dinner.  Trying to find a new course of action.  I'm trying to come up with ways to change my habit.  Taking the dogs for a walk, yoga?  Okay have to be sensible, my habit is a long time part of my day, the release of working a very stressful job and a very long commute.  Any suggestions?  

• Moderators

Is it the alcohol itself, or was there some other part of it that you're missing? Did you pour a glass of wine and sit down for a bit before starting dinner? If that's it, try making a cup of tea or a glass of sparkling water with lemon or lime and sitting down to relax for a bit. Was the glass of wine your signal that your work day was over? If it's that, maybe come home and immediately change clothes and wash your face -- a signal to yourself that you're home and getting out of "work mode." 

I had the same habit...so now I get home, often I change clothes first thing, and then I take out a nice big red wine glass and fill it with kombucha so I can sit with my hubs while he has his wine.  It has taken awhile, but I am really not so inclined anymore.  Last Sat after a good night at a football game I was itching for a glass of red, but made myself a cup of tea instead.  You CAN do this.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try coming home and changing into workout clothes and see if I can signal myself to relax.  A hot cup of tea should sound lovely but living in south Florida its 89 degrees today makes it kind of crazy.  Good news we are moving north to Virginia in a few months.   

Archived