started today...had protein shake for breakfast with blue diamond almond milk - unsweetened and pure organic hemp powder with organic fruit.

3boys445

Thank you 3boys445 for posting this and missmary for the links. This is something I've considered. Having reread the rules of the program I totally understand what to eat and what not to eat and that it's best to eat nuts than drink them and not to try and recreate foods. I get that. But, is it ok to have this now and again? Sometimes I need an on the go quick breakfast. I've been making my own almond milk for a while now with just almonds and water - nothing added, and I've been making my own almond butter for a while now also by just blending - nothing extra added. Blending then the two together with a frozen banana and hemp seeds and dates keeps me going for at least 5 hours before I even get a twinge of hunger.

. But, is it ok to have this now and again? Sometimes I need an on the go quick breakfast. I've been making my own almond milk for a while now with just almonds and water - nothing added, and I've been making my own almond butter for a while now also by just blending - nothing extra added. Blending then the two together with a frozen banana and hemp seeds and dates keeps me going for at least 5 hours before I even get a twinge of hunger.

It's not a meal and it's not the best option.

Nuts and seeds are fats, not proteins, on a Whole30, and are recommended to be limited. As such, the concoction you described is fruit and fat. Remember, the Whole30 is about changing your relationship with food. For best results, build each meal to meet the recommended template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat, as described in the meal template missmary linked above.

If you have time to make a smoothie, you have time to reheat food you prepared in advance or grab a piece of frittata on the go. I encourage you to take on making meals of whole foods of protein, veg and fat that you chew for the next 30 days: the smoothies will be there when you're done.

It's not a meal and it's not the best option.

Nuts and seeds are fats, not proteins, on a Whole30, and are recommended to be limited. As such, the concoction you described is fruit and fat. Remember, the Whole30 is about changing your relationship with food. For best results, build each meal to meet the recommended template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat, as described in the meal template missmary linked above.

If you have time to make a smoothie, you have time to reheat food you prepared in advance or grab a piece of frittata on the go. I encourage you to take on making meals of whole foods of protein, veg and fat that you chew for the next 30 days: the smoothies will be there when you're done.

Thanks for the reply Chris, this is really helpful. I've always thought of nuts as a protein. Now that you say it - fruit and fat doesn't sound a good mix. This is something I've grabbed now and again pre Whole30 so as yet I haven't messed with the plan. And, I'm eating leftovers for my lunch at the moment. It definitely seems to be agreeing with me so far, 7th day today, and I'm really enjoying it.

Archived