No energy!

ashnard

This is day 8 of my Whole30 challenge. I like to exercise but I haven't been because I'm just so tired and hungry all the time! Today I ate:

2 egg muffins (2 eggs, almond milk, broccoli slaw, spinach)

5 carrots, small handful broccoli slaw

half avocado

2 pieces of bacon

4 ounces green beans

4 ounces of beef

whole raw bell pepper

cashew larabar (sorry, hungry)

4 ounces green beans

6 ounces beef

green apple

2 tbsp almond butter

handful almonds

I've also been checking the scale (sorry, again) and I'm not losing weight. Am I just expecting results too quickly? Should I be eating more or just changing what I'm eating? Why am I so sad? haha

Looks like you're not eating enough. There is no reason to be hungry on a Whole30. Build meals of protein, veg and fat to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Why only 4 oz of meat and veggies, and why are you weighing your food?

Aim for 1-2 palms of protein per meal (a palm is the length, width and depth of the palm of your hand), and 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

Where was the fat at meal 2?

That's a lot of nuts in one day: nuts are recommended to be limited on a Whole30. Swap in some other fats instead.

How much water are you drinking? We recommend 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily.

And please please please hide the scale until after your Whole30 is complete.

• Moderators

Stop checking the scale. Weight loss is not linear, and this is not a program that promises fast weight loss results. Just follow the program and give it 30 days.

For best results, make each of your meals meet the meal template. That means:

• 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (length, width, and height of your palm) -- if eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand -- probably at least 3
  • 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat, or 1-2 heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, or 1/2-a whole avocado, or a small handful of nuts. Feel free to add this in addition to your cooking fat, as often the cooking fat stays in the pan so it isn't consumed. Bacon is more a fat source than a protein source.
  • fill your plate with vegetables -- 1-3 cups worth, three is best
  • Occasionally, have some fruit, a closed-fist sized serving. Fruit is completely optional on Whole30, you never have to have it. Try to limit it to two servings a day, with meals, not alone.

Most people feel best if they have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day (like potato, sweet potato, winter squashes, root vegetables, pumpkin, plantain, jicama). People who are very active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant or in the week leading up to their period often find they need more than that.

Aim to drink 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, drink at least 60 oz of water.

Ideally, you'll have meals that keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, but if you find yourself hungry between meals, it's okay to eat. Ideally, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables. 

If you work out, also add pre- and post-workout meals. Pre is most important if you're working out first thing in the morning, or if it's been several hours since your last meal and you just need a little something to keep you from being hungry during your workout, and it should be protein and fat. Many people find a hard boiled egg to be an easy pre-workout meal, maybe with some mayo or olives. Post-workout should be lean protein and starchy vegetable, eaten within about half an hour of your workout. More on the post-workout meal here

Archived