Sara's Log (beginning 12/21)

smflower

I'm starting my second whole30 tomorrow.  No, it won't be easy starting before Christmas (cookies! fudge!).  I did my first whole30 a few months ago and had mixed results.  I felt great, had better sleep, and felt relaxed around food.  
But I didn't lose a pound.  Over the past few months I've relaxed a bit with food…nothing too extreme, but definitely NOT whole30 all the time.  I seemed to be doing alright but in the past month my body has rebelled.  My anxiety is back, I'm craving sugar like crazy, I'm anxious around food etc.  What pushed me over the edge is that my hair has started falling out and I'm getting hives…both sure signs that my body is stressed and allergic to whatever I'm putting in it.  So its time to get back on the Whole30 and get my body healthy again.  This time, my changes need to be permanent because "relaxed eating" obviously doesn't work for me.  

Anyway, I'm kind of dreading this, but I know its time.  I'm also really hopeful that I'll finally lose a few pounds.  I have 15 to lose and no matter what I do they never seem to budge. 

Anyway, I'll start with a healthy dinner tonight…tomorrow is Day 1.  Any one have any advice or experience with hives/hair loss related to gluten/diary/sugar?

Thanks!

Welcome back smflower! I don't have any experience with hives or hair loss, but I do have a wicked sugar dragon, and the only way to tame him is to starve him. The Whole 30 really helps me keep him at bay. I wish you luck on your second Whole 30. This is my third, and I am finding (as I'm sure you will) that they build on each other. Your NSV from your first Whole 30 are so great! What accomplishments! :)

Good luck, Sara! I just started today. I don't have any advice for the food part, but I wanted to know if you did any weight lifting.  If you haven't tried it, it would make a huge impact in those last 15 lbs.  A lot of woman are nervous about weight lifting, but it doesn't have to be anything crazy.  Just a thought.

Your hair is a possibility of a thyroid issue if you haven't lost weight it's possible. But zinc will help with hair I've been losing hair too but my thyroid is ok. I will tell you from experience with hives you need to write down what your eating then when your are experiencing it if it's a few hrs after then it probably whatever you ate. You could always go get tested and see as long as your not having anaphlaxis. But it definatly sounds like a food allergy.

thanks for all the well-wishes and advice.  

I am already lifting weights three days a week and while I'm definitely stronger, I haven't lost any weight.  I like it enough to keep lifting regardless.  I will look into a thyroid issue.  I had my thyroid tested about 6 months ago and there was no sign of a problem…but now that I'm shedding hair like crazy maybe its time to revisit the issue.  I'm hopeful if its a food allergy I'll be able to identify it by keeping a food log here. 

While I ate only compliant foods yesterday…I didn't exactly get three regular meals of protien+fat+veggies.  I was sick and the idea of veggies made me gag.  Anyway, I'd rather start the whole30 strong so today will be day 1.  Here's breakfast…not bad but needs a veggie.  Man, I hate veggies in the morning!  Maybe need to roast some broccoli to have with my eggs?  Anyone else who hates morning veggies have advice for sneaking them in at breakfast?  I love vegetables but before noon I struggle. 

B: 2 eggs scrambled with sliced apple and ghee, small spoonful of sunflower butter.  

Archived