SheLovesToChew

Today marks Day 5 for me on Whole30!! While I feel mentally strong, my body is fatigued. I haven't been able to get much sleep and last night was no sleep b/c my toddler is suffering with a cold and was super conjested and fussy. But nevertheless, I have resolved that I will see this all the way through no matter what. This morning I made a (4) egg scramble with spinach, shiitake mushrooms, purple onion fried in ghee topped with a little avocado and tomato. I have never cooked so much in one week...largely due to my underestimation of how much protein and vegetables I would need to successfully make it through the week. I've been to my farmer's market twice and I've spent over $200 on meats, fresh veggies, fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, figs, cantaloupe) seasoning, organic coconut milk/cream/flakes, raw nuts, etc. I am still working out at the gym daily and I've noticed that my recovery is much quicker. Oddly enough, I haven't experience any withdrawal symptoms (yet...crossed fingers) other than fatigue. I'm not craving any sweets and the sight and/or smell of them doesn't bother me. This weekend will be trying b/c I will be out and about with friends, but I am already thinking of a master plan. I definitely plan to do as Mel suggested at the bar and get a club soda with several olivies b/c my friends will definitely take note if I'm not drinking. At this point, I don't want to disclose what I'm doing just yet. I want to wait until the end of the 30 days and they ask me what I'm doing b/c the changes are so astonishing. My Beau knows that I'm on the Whole30 and supports me fully, so for now he's the only one in my circle clued in. For me this is a very personal decision and not something I want to defend. I want to be fully converted and experiencing the benefits before I become a spokesperson for the lifestyle. I've been trying to shake my carb/sugar addiction for years and due to the variety of real food I'm able to eat during this program I don't miss the bread, pasta, sweets, dairy, beans, etc. I'm enjoying the full flavor of fresh vegetables, fruits and well seasoned meats. Curry chicken so far is my absolute favorite dish. Curry infused with coconut oil and cream makes the chicken so delectable. Just deliciousness! Hey, I love to chew...what can I say!

Congrats to all of you well ahead of me!

Cool Nick name. And, I love your post. You are doing outstanding! Sorry for the little one not feeling good. Never fun. I too experienced the big expense upfront, but here is the funny thing...You will find that once you get the basics, and if you stay on top of sales, you can quickly get your budget close to your old one. Also, I find that I actually eat less food, which blows me away. Top that with the fact that you will likely go out less to dinner/lunches, and that will save a ton! :) All good things and keep it up. Impressive post. I am on day 11. Feeling very good and believe it or not, it feels normal now.

Cool Nick name. And, I love your post. You are doing outstanding! Sorry for the little one not feeling good. Never fun. I too experienced the big expense upfront, but here is the funny thing...You will find that once you get the basics, and if you stay on top of sales, you can quickly get your budget close to your old one. Also, I find that I actually eat less food, which blows me away. Top that with the fact that you will likely go out less to dinner/lunches, and that will save a ton! :) All good things and keep it up. Impressive post. I am on day 11. Feeling very good and believe it or not, it feels normal now.

Quinn, thanks for your kindness and support!!! WOW...Day 11 **cheers** It does feel normal and it has definitely caused me to realize that my relationship with food was not nourishment but a product of enjoyment, greed and socializing. Finding the balance on the social side will be key for me b/c I'm a social butterfly ;)

~Be & Do Well

She Loves To Chew :)

Today begins Day 9 and I am feeling strong and confident about this change. I spent the weekend at my Beau's and he had fresh fruit and veggies for me...love his support. Last night I baked some tilapia fillets that I'd seasoned and left to marinate overnight. Stir-fried some veggies in coconut oil and a little ghee and a dash of liquid aminos and it was deliousness!!! The curry chicken stir fry version went over very well and he finished the last of that off last night. I started my morning with scrambled eggs, bacon and strawberries. Lunch will be more tilapia and veggies and I have nuts and fruit on hand if I get hungry. I'm still working out 5-days a week and my bootcamp ends on Friday where we get weighed and measured. I have not stepped on the scale since I began the Whole30, so it will be a nice surprise to see how my body is responding to these changes. I'm certain I've lost several inches already b/c my stomach is not nearly as bloated as it normally is. I look leaner but we will see come Friday. Even if I've gained weight I will continue eating the Paleo way. I feel amazing! It can only get better.

PS. Received my books from Amazon.com on Saturday: It Starts With Food, by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig, The Paleo Solution:The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain, Ph.D, EveryDay Paleo Family Cookbook: Real Food For Real Life by Sarah Fragoso and Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole Foods Lifestyle by Diane Sanfilippo!! :D

Nice work! Congrats on how much progress you are making! YOu have to be happy! Very cool on the books. What a way to set yourself up for sucess!

Thanks Quinn! I find when I inundate myself with information, receipes I'm more likely to stay on track. I'm always on this and other Paleo site bc I really believe in this lifestyle and it's sustainable!

Day 12 and I'm still going strong. I can't believe the days are buzzing by so quickly. Eating good wholesome food is so sustainable and trying new recipes is fun. Last night I cooked up a batch of protein (curry chicken breast chunks, curried chicken thighs, salmon fillets) and stir fried veggies and coconut oil and a dabble of avocado oil. This is probably my fav paleo meal so far. I love curried coconut chicken. Yum-O

Onward, Upward! :P

DAY 13!!! I can't belive I'm already 13 days in, nearly half-way to the end of the Whole30. Things have been interesting but definitely not as hard as I anticipated them to be. I mean, I started this rather cold turkey and certainly after a high-carb indulgence. I'm amazed at how well my body has handled all the things it has typically had, but haven't had in 13 days (and counting). I'll be traveling out of town for a day or so but I've already made arrangements for what I'll eat. I've come too far to allow a weekend away from home to derail me (NOT GONNA HAPPEN!)

In other news, I finally got on a scale and had me measurements taken. I was apart of a fitness challenge at my gym that was 6 wks long. So I'm down 5lbs and down 6 inches total!!! :D That may not seem like a lot, but allow me to put this in perspective. So for the first 4 weeks let's just say I was working out and still eating and doing whatever I wanted, especially on the weekends. Since I started the Whole30 (Sun, Sept. 16th) is where I think my progress truly began. So, yeah, 5lbs ain't much but in 13 days it is! Add to that I'm 6 inches thinner as follows: 2" from my waist!, .25" from my ass (that thing isn't going anywhere and really I don't want it to), 1.25" from my arm, 1.5" from my chest and the last inch I can't remember where it came from...ha! (this is all from memory). I'm pleased with the transformation that has taken place in a mere 13 days! Strength training and Whole30 is giving me life!!!

On to Day 14!!! B)

DAY 16-Today marks my 16th Day towards Whole30 and it was not met without challenge. As I'd previously posted I went out of town this weekend and was prepared…or so I thought. I was armed with my spices, coconut and avocado oils, and a mini cooler full of “approved†items. I will spare the false bravado…it was a CHALLENGING WEEKEND to say the least, HOWEVER…I REMAINED COMPLIANT to the WHOLE30 PROGRAM! Want the weekend in review? Here it goes….

I arrived to my hometown late Friday night and I was famished by the time I crossed my Mom's threshold. So I nuked some leftover curry chicken and was good to go for the night. Saturday morning I scrambled eggs with spinach, onion and mushroom and had a side of bacon and turkey sausage (Still going strong! ;) ). We were all over the place Saturday so I decided to cook up a batch of my fav quick, wholesome, easy peesy meal….curry chicken chunks over stir fry veggies (sans corns of course). I did a huge pot of it. This was kinda also my opportunity to sell this “eating lifestyle†to my family (who'd just devoured a pepperoni pizza the night before). For some reason, they equate “healthy†food with salads only, but they LOVED the curry chicken stir fry! I was happy to prepare this meal for us. Besides I needed to have something on hand and ready b/c we had a full day ahead. While out running errands my toddler demands (ok…asked repeatedly) for chicken nuggets, so I rolled into the McDonald's drive thru**. The fry aroma was all too familiar and normally I would have reached in and grabbed a few fries, gobbled them down and thought nothing about it. This time, not so much. Onward and upward right? Yes! Dinner was leftovers and half a banana that I shared with the kid. Saturday night I was with family and friends and there was plenty of food and drink….of the alcoholic sort. I passed on all of it. I could tell that my not eating or drinking was making people uncomfortable, but I stood with my water bottle and kept conversation light and fun. I did not want to go into the Whole30 process or Paleo lifestyle in this mixed crowd. Still not ready to defend my position. I think it's far more telling when people notice my results and ask what I'm doing. That means they're open to receive what I might say. At least that's how I am…..moving on. Sunday morning I had a more generous portion of eggs with onion and spinach with bacon on the side. It was DELICIOUSNESS! We made it home early afternoon Sunday and I immediately took my Alaskan king salmon out the fridge (which had been marinating since Weds night) and tossed it on the Foreman grill. Then I sautéed mushrooms, purple onion and spinach and dinner was served! DIVINE! Yum-O x 1,000

So I made it through a very social weekend because I was mentally and physically prepared. I always carry nuts/seeds/fruit in my purse in case I find myself in a potentially compromising situation. It's hard to make a good decision when you're famished, but I managed to do it b/c this time my resolve is stronger than memory of _______ food. Honestly, I thought about cheating a couple times b/c several of my favorite, formally fav things were readily on hand. So today I'm celebrating the 15 Days behind me and the 15 Days ahead of me b/c I'm going ALL THE WAY to 30 (and beyond!) :D

**Disclaimer: I cook wholesome, balanced meals for my kid every.single.day. She does not eat fast food often. I do plain to eventually move her to the “lifestyle†but for now…the kid wanted a chicken nugget so she got it**

Amazing story! Very impressed. I think your weekend is one of the core reasons we are doing this... Regarding the kiddos, they learn from us, so even if they were doing chicken nuggets earlier, they can change if we do. I am doing that in my family :)

Amazing story! Very impressed. I think your weekend is one of the core reasons we are doing this... Regarding the kiddos, they learn from us, so even if they were doing chicken nuggets earlier, they can change if we do. I am doing that in my family :)

Thanks Quinn! You're right, we set the precedence for our family. She's 2.5 and somewhat finicky, but she loves chicken, fruit and nearly all veggies #Winning

DAY 18- Wow, I can hardly believe I'm this far in the Whole30 process. Now it just feels natural to cook everything I eat. I love my cookbooks and I love all the Paleo websites that support the lifestyle. I'm still in the gym 5 days a week and today I'll do a 2-a-Day…at 10am I'm doing a strength training circuit and after work I'm taking a spin class. I'm excited! The inches are coming off and I'm typically not hungry at all during the day, although I do try to eat on schedule. Here's an example of what I'm eating….

Breakfast: Breakfast bake (eggs, mushrooms, broccoli, shrimp, spinach, onion), chicken sausage, and a banana

Lunch: Veggie stir-fry w/ curry chicken thighs and breast chunks, strawberries and cantaloupe

Dinner: Grilled salmon, roasted butternut squash, sautéed spinach/mushrooms/onions

Nuts: Pecans, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds

I cannot get enough of curry chicken. Anytime I cook chicken I end up adding curry and coconut milk and cream, it's just soooo flavorful! **Warning, TMI approaching….so Monday I had a colonic b/c I really want to purge as much toxicity from my body as possible. This wasn't my first, but it has been several years since I've had one. My skin was already benefiting from the dietary change, but I do believe the colonic helped too b/c my face is just radiant! I'm having a second colonic on the 22nd. It's painless and so helpful with the digestive process. I highly recommend this process.

DAY 20-WOW!!! 20 days into the Whole30!! It seems like just yesterday I was writing a “Day 5†post and now I'm a mere 10 days away from the end of my first Whole30. I haven't even thought about what to do after the official end. I will say, I have no intention of going back to those bad habits of consuming processed, nutrition-less frakenfood. I haven't had a lot of free time to read “It Starts With Food†like I should have, but over the next 10 days I will definitely be reading to see how do you step-down from the Whole30 to more of a maintenance phase (if you will). My skin is radiant and I feel stronger. My legs are leaner and my muscles are a little sore from doing lunges, squats, step aerobics, and spin class this week. I'm not getting back on the scale until the day after the end of my Whole30, which is October 16th. I'm not so much concerned about my weight per se b/c I can see the changes in the way my clothes fit, but b/c I need to lose about 40lbs I'm going to continue to monitor both diet and exercise and not obsess about an actual number. Slow and steady wins the race! Speaking of races….I have a 5k to run Saturday night at 8pm (Firefly 5k). My first “official†race since the Peachtree Road Race (a big deal 10k in Atlanta 4th of July wknd). I'm also looking forward to resuming my fall/winter running b/c I just hate running in the summer. The heat in Atlanta is just too much. I digress…..

Happy Friday to all of you Whole30ers wherever you are on the road to 30 days. Have a fantastic weekend!!!

P.S. For those of you nearing (or at) the end of your Whole30 process what are you doing different (if anything). Have you added back certain foods? If so, which ones? Are there things you feel you'll never eat again?

~SheLovesToChew

Archived