The Sugar Dragon is Strong in this One

Krelio

So I've told all my friends and family.... recruited some along the way... I've read Whole30 and scoured the interwebs for tips and recipe inspiration... I'm following as many Whole30/clean eating accounts on Instagram... and now it's time to sit down and plan the meals...  Oh boy!

A little about me before D-day: Jan 4

5'3

130lbs

Pretty fit according to the doctors... so why Whole30?

As my title states- I am a sugar queen.  Sugar sugar sugar, nom nom nom!  I want to decrease my sugar fixation and improve my overall well-being as I'm too young (36 last month) and too busy (full time mom (who isn't?) with four kids) to be tired... I'm also quite lazy so this will be very interesting.  (smile)

Looking forward to chronicling my journey with you lovely people... and keep track of all the links/pages/ideas the interwebs divulges.

- Me

Thanks @alisonlicarver!  I learned that lesson today the completely hard way :(  Not only did I have fruit with breakfast I also had a green smoothie after that.  Needless to say I was hangry by 10am and the sugar craving kicked in at 2pm and again post WO.  I am having cacao powder and almond milk with my post WO meal... tomorrow will be better as I am going to load up more on the fats

Today

M1: two fried eggs on a bed of spinach with two slices of bacon (nitrate and sugar free from The Fresh Market) and three slice strawberries + Green Smoothie (spinach, grapefruit, and pineapple)

M2: Whole30 tuna on bed of spinach (spring water tuna, diced apples, and diced dill pickles, and whole30 mayo) with blueberries and a LaCroix Cherry Lime

sugar dragon roared mid day: had a handful of cashews

M3: Mango and Avocado Salmon with mashed cauliflower (p270 of Whole30 book)

Post WO: handful of chicken tenders (grilled from Trader Joes) and roasted sweet potatoes (reg and purple); almond milk w/ cacao powder (not sweet but i feel better)

Kids really liked the salmon so will keep the recipe and lighten up on the onion... fresh cilantro will kick it up a notch

Tomorrow's Plan-

less fruits in the am... will have with lunch in tuna salad (I already made and planned it) and a handful of blueberries.  This time I loaded up on a mixed green base (kale, cabbage, and some other crunchy goodness) and added a handful of toasted coconut chips (no sugar added) and added some cashews for fats...

Should i expect to ease out of the fruit/nut phase? 

Will check out the sugar dragon slayer link next!

Today went well W30-wise.  The key was timing...

M1:two fried eggs on a bed of spinach with three slices of bacon two sliced strawberries; this time I ate at 645 with the kids instead of at 530... I think this helped alot

M2: Much larger portion of Whole30 tuna on bed of Trader Joe's cruciferous collection (kale, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage), carrots and a larger potion of guac, blueberries, handful of coconut chips and a handful of cashews with a LaCroix Peach Pear

Ate this around 12 after last meeting and wasn't hangry prior to that... based on some other blogs I read that most meals feel bigger than usual but as long as they match the template than press on...

M3: Steak and broccoli- kept it simple for me and the kids.  I am LOVING ghee... I doubt i'll go back to regular butter at this rate...

Today was no hanger.... now to prep for tomorrow.

Keep it going Krelio! This is my first W30 as well....I have finished Day 4 now.....and they say this first week or two is the worst. Just remember - any challenges you face is your body roaring that sugar dragon OUT of your body! I too have gotten CRAZY with the sugar lately and am similar to you....in a healthy BMI but I know I can feel better than I have been. It's a big part of why I want to commit to this. When I have a rule (supported by others really helps!) that says I don't eat that, it all makes it easier to say no. I like the Whole 30 because of the fact that we aren't supposed to make anything that imitates a snack. I'm excited about getting all the crap out of me and not feeling so lazy every night. I like the meals. Everything is natural and real. It all just makes sense. Have you read "It Starts with Food"? That book blew my mind and the knowledge I gained is a huge part of my inspiration.

I've always chalked it up to "I'm so busy" as well - and you know what? We ARE busy and we ARE needing to juggle a lot as moms and everything else going on - but I'm finding already that my energy level in the evening is so much better than it was as I went down my sugar spiral. That alone is worth it. 

We can do this! We're worth it!

Welcome, Krelio!  I'm so glad to see that you ditched the smoothie.  Those were a lot of high-fructose fruits to gulp back.  Remember, the Whole30 discourages smoothies, even when they're part of an overall meal because drinking your calories vs. chewing your calories can mess with satiety signals.  Sucking back that much sugar (yes, even "natural" fruit sugar - sugar = sugar = sugar) could easily trigger a high insulin response and corresponding blood sugar crash that would cause increased cravings and "fake" hunger signals by mid-morning.  Tread carefully.  Recommend trying no more than 1-2 servings of fruit per day, especially if you have a raging sugar dragon.  Some people find it best to leave fruit out of M1 and have it at M2 and/or M3.  I'm the opposite; I do best with 1-2 servings of fruit at M1.  This is the beautiful thing about Whole30 - despite universal rules, it's actually a completely customized experiment of ONE: YOU!

I would suggest trying to completely eliminate the nuts and fruits.  You're just feeding your sugar dragon with these little "sweet" treats.  The only way to slay a sugar dragon is to STARVE it completely.  If you're hungry, try a few green olives or a hard-boiled egg or a spoonful of homemade mayo.  Fat provides a dopamine hit to make you happy but with negligible insulin response.

Good luck!  Ask questions any time!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Should i expect to ease out of the fruit/nut phase? 

Yes.  Sure, fruits and nuts are healthy alternatives to cookies and chips but they still prop up a sugar craving.  This is just me, and you do have to figure out what is best for you (and you will, the more you try and experiment with your meals) but I find that having fruit with M1 sets me up for more swings in blood sugar, leading to more cravings throughout the day.  Sure, I still occasionally eat fruit at M1 but I make darn sure to eat lots of protein and fat and veggies, so that my blood sugar is regulated, and I know to expect potential cravings.  There's always consequences, good or bad.  If you do have fruit at M1, maybe go for the lower-sugar and lower-carb versions, like berries...any are good, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries. 

sugar dragon roared mid day: had a handful of cashews

Nuts can be a technically-compliant food-with-no-brakes, as we have probably all found out the hard way.  If you are having cravings, do not eat nuts.  Do not eat fruit.  If you are legitimately hungry, eat protein and fat.  You need satiating foods that will fill you up without mimicking a sugar ingestion.  If you feed your sweet tooth during a craving with even healthy foods like nuts and fruits you will keep him alive.

I'm not saying to never eat fruits or nuts, but just watch out for these two categories.  Make sure to always fill your plate with protein, veggies, and fat, and beware of the potential cravings when you consume fruits and nuts.

Welcome, Krelio!  I'm so glad to see that you ditched the smoothie.  Those were a lot of high-fructose fruits to gulp back.  Remember, the Whole30 discourages smoothies, even when they're part of an overall meal because drinking your calories vs. chewing your calories can mess with satiety signals.  Sucking back that much sugar (yes, even "natural" fruit sugar - sugar = sugar = sugar) could easily trigger a high insulin response and corresponding blood sugar crash that would cause increased cravings and "fake" hunger signals by mid-morning.  Tread carefully.  Recommend trying no more than 1-2 servings of fruit per day, especially if you have a raging sugar dragon.  Some people find it best to leave fruit out of M1 and have it at M2 and/or M3.  I'm the opposite; I do best with 1-2 servings of fruit at M1.  This is the beautiful thing about Whole30 - despite universal rules, it's actually a completely customized experiment of ONE: YOU!

I would suggest trying to completely eliminate the nuts and fruits.  You're just feeding your sugar dragon with these little "sweet" treats.  The only way to slay a sugar dragon is to STARVE it completely.  If you're hungry, try a few green olives or a hard-boiled egg or a spoonful of homemade mayo.  Fat provides a dopamine hit to make you happy but with negligible insulin response.

Good luck!  Ask questions any time!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Yes, I completely agree with Lauren here.  Ditch the smoothies.  It's sugar without the fiber.  Blood sugar spike-->insulin release-->blood sugar drop-->hunger.  Vicious cycle.  And sugar is sugar is sugar, whether it's from a piece of fruit or from a piece of cake.

Archived