Juices

Hi!  I'm on day 5 of my second Whole 30 and wondering about juices.. I love juices, especially green ones, and have often turned to them for a boost of nutrients in the past years.  There are several "technically compliant" ones out there, plus when I juice my own I never add any sweeteners of any kind beyond just the fruit juices included.

My question is whether or not these juices are considered compliant?  They are a bit high in sugar content, such as the Suja Easy Greens, which is compliant but has 17g of sugar per 8oz serving.

For reference, the label on this one is - INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC APPLE JUICE, ORGANIC CELERY JUICE, ORGANIC CUCUMBER JUICE, ORGANIC BANANA PUREE, ORGANIC MANGO PUREE, ORGANIC KALE JUICE, ORGANIC COLLARD GREENS JUICE, ORGANIC LEMON JUICE, ORGANIC GINGER JUICE, ORGANIC SPINACH JUICE, ORGANIC CHLORELLA POWDER, ORGANIC SPIRULINA POWDER

My gut instinct is to only drink them in small portions, 8 oz or less at a time, and in conjunction with protein & fat like a hardboiled egg.  However, as I'm doing really well on my Whole 30 so far I wanted to get some feedback from moderators/advanced members to make sure I'm not derailing myself. 

Thoughts are appreciated!  Thanks!

Grace

• Administrators

Juice and drinking your calories is highly discouraged on the Whole30.  We want you to eat your food because things that you drink are not processed as actual food by your body. This messes with satiety, hormones, blood sugar and cravings.  Also note that because you juice, you strip the fibre from the produce and then you can end up drinking far more sugar/content that you would if you ate those same veggies/fruits.

Technically it would be considered compliant if you are just going with the "yes/no" food list.  If you are looking to get the greatest return on your 30 day investment, put the juice aside and just eat the veggies/fruit. 

Archived