Geralyn's 1st Whole30

Geralyn5

I have been so excited about starting this Whole30. I stumbled across it in November, and got my fiance on board pretty quickly! We decided to wait until after the holidays (for obvious reasons) which also gave me plenty of time to read all the books, hang out on the forums and meal plan!

So I started yesterday and took the day from work to meal prep as well. Day 1 was easy peasy, and I think it helped that I was shopping and cooking all day! I did try to make some mayo and failed big time, so I ordered an immersion blender from Amazon today - it'll come in handy for the sweet potato soup from the book as well - that looks amazing!!

M1: 2 eggs over bed of spinach, apple and cashew butter.

M2: Breakfast Casserole, coffee with a bit of coconut oil.

M3: Pulled Pork, roasted Brussels Sprouts and red onion.

Went to bed feeling great and excited for Day 2! 

Today's menu consists of:

M1: Breakfast Casserole, Banana, coffee with CO

M2: Mixed greens with chicken, oil and vinegar dressing, apple with cashew butter

M3: Turkey Lettuce Wraps

I am getting ready to eat lunch now, and still feeling pretty good. It was tough to get out of bed this am, but that could have been a mixture of the temp (14 degrees) and the fact that I haven't been to work since 12/23 as well as the "hangover" stage.

Good Luck to all! I am looking forward to the next 30 days!!

Funny that I JUST got an email about mayo.  It referenced this article http://paleoleap.com/mayo-revisited/

Thanks for the link! Its one I have not come across yet! I should be getting the blender tomorrow (yay Amazon Prime) and will let you know how my retake does...and if its not so successful, then I will be looking for some mayo to buy :)

The rest of yesterday was great until after dinner. I got a MAJOR headache and was in bed by 7:30. This morning I was hungry and super cranky. I just ate a bit of breakfast and am feeling a little better, but I still kinda want to kill all the things...I am thinking that I probably should have eaten a little bit more at dinner time.

HOWEVER, Day 3 is here and we are going to keep on trucking!! 

M1: Breakfast Casserole, orange, coffee with Coconut milk (I think I like the coconut oil better in the coffee)

M2: Taco Salad (Lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, salsa verde, avocado, seasoned ground turkey), LaCroix, apple with cashew butter

M2: Shrimp with Zoodles and Tomato Basil sauce

We are going to my fiance's parents hose this weekend, and a Tennessee basketball game - makes me a little worried about sticking to plan. I did buy a bunch of Epic bars, Larabars and individual cashew packages...hopefully that will sustain us for the trip. I am going to cook dinner on Saturday, but his family is a fast food family, so the struggle will be real!

I am feeling much better now - going to grab another cup of coffee and get to work! Have a great day!!

I had a headache this morning too until I had time to drink some green tea.  I attributed to my kid having me up all night, but who knows! You are going to have a really tough weekend! Breakfast will be easy, but I really feel for you. I know you got it in you though. I think you'll do great.

Today is going so amazing! I am typically a "2 cups of coffee before I even get to work" kind of gal, but today I didn't have a cup until after I was already at work and had a meeting. It was an awesome feeling to not "need" the coffee and to just choose to drink it because I like it :)

My fiance also texted me today and said that he "has tons of energy this morning. I also noticed that it take me less time to wake up in the morning". This is great for all of us because he get ups 2.5 hours before I have to, and usually he snoozes 4 times and makes a ton of noise, which leaves me irritated and unable to go back to sleep. Not today!!

Food for day 4:

M1: BF Casserole, avocado, coffee with CM

M2: Dinner leftovers!! (Veggie noodles with Shrimp and fra diavolo sauce), mixed fruit

M3: Garlic Butter Salmon, Cauliflower Mash (from the Whole30 book) and steamed veggies

I also have a 3 hour meeting this afternoon - hoping that no one brings "treats", but I am feeling so good now that I think I could say NO!! And I am also taking a LaCroix and some cashews...just in case ;)

I like that you are prepared for your meeting. That's great! And yay for not feeling like you want to murder someone - sounds like you and your fiancé are doing great. Do you like cooking? I'm envious of your dinners. I need to step my game up!

I like that you are prepared for your meeting. That's great! And yay for not feeling like you want to murder someone - sounds like you and your fiancé are doing great. Do you like cooking? I'm envious of your dinners. I need to step my game up!

Thanks for the kind words! It feels like we are doing great too!! I do really like to cook, but did not really have the motivation before. But now I am really excited about the recipes I am finding, and so I love going home and whipping up something new!

Today I am having a major bout of "Kill all the things". 

I woke up and had a melt down because my fiance took both our lunches to work today (I don't know how) and that left me running late for work and so concerned because I had nothing planned for lunch today - and I was SOOO excited for the tuna salad and zucchini slices that I made!! I sat in the middle of the kitchen floor and angry cried. 

Then I got to work and had a meeting first thing - and it was a doozy! Took all my strength to not tell everyone to take a hike and stop rambling! We have a tendency to have to talk everything to death in my office, which is usually fine, because then I use that time as social hour, but today I was having none of it. After a few snarky remarks and some eye rolling, the meeting was finally over and I have relegated myself to my office and closed the door. 

The weird thing is - part of me is so made and irritated and the other part just wants to laugh at how stupid I am being. I feel like 2 people.

Thank goodness for this forum and a safe place for me to spill my guts. 

------------

I wanted to reflect on why I chose to do Whole30. I know that a lot of people have shared in their logs why, and I think it would be good for me to put it here so when I get one of those bad moments, I can come back and see what the heck I am doing this all for!

Overall better relationship with food

More energy

Clearer skin, stronger nails and hair

Lower BP and Cholesterol

Lose the mystery pains

Get rid of Heartburn/Indigestion/GERD

Weight Loss :)

But when push comes to shove, I am 33 years old and I want to feel like I am 33. Its ridiculous that I am on the verge of being medicated for my BP and Cholesterol, that I have been medicated for my GERD, that I wake up with aches and pains and that I have issues with my sciatica. I live smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains, and I want to hike and bike and camp. I want to be able to chase my niece around. I want to be able to have the energy to be involved with my community after I get done with work and not just want to go home and sit on the couch. I do not want to end up like my grandmother or be headed on the path of my mother. I want to be healthy, fit, active and happy.

So yeah - WHOLE30!!

------------

Tonight we leave for TN. I have a bunch of emergency foods packed (EPIC bars, Larabars, apples, oranges, cashews) and I have meal plans for Saturday breakfast and Dinner. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

And lastly, today's meal plan!

M1: 3 fried eggs over pork and spinach, coffee with CM

M2: Sweet potato soup, leftover cauliflower mash, EPIC bar, apple with cashew butter, LaCroix

M3: Tuna salad (tuna, bell pepper, onion, pickles, homemade mayo) and zucchini slices (hopefully - if they make their way home, lol)

From the countdown calendar today: "Do not reward yourself with a treat, you are not a dog"!

Have a great day everyone!!

Seems like you've had a rough morning, my friend.  Good job not biting anyone's head off. I would have had a fit if my bf took my lunch. LOL! Your meltdown was quite appropriate, but at least you had alternatives. That's something to be proud of. I was in bed last night when my bf got home and I was shouting to him "my lunch is in the round container, if you are eating now eat from the square container." I probably sounded pretty crazy, but it was so important to me. I'll be thinking of you over the weekend, but I look forward to hearing good reports.  You know the challenges of his fast food crazed family, so you are mentally prepped and you have your emergency foods. I'm 35 and like you I want to feel energetic and not like I'm much older. Getting rid of belly fat will make me happier.  I hadn't thought about stronger nails, but that would be GREAT! My nails are the worst. Every time they grow a centimeter, they break. I can't wait to reap the benefits of adopting a healthier lifestyle.

I realized a trigger today. Road trips. I wanted everything. The 3.5 hour drive was tough, but I packed some LaCroix, cashews and an Epic bar and made it through! Next time I need to make sure I havery a full meal that I can eat in the car!

Today was good, but tough! We went into Knoxville today to do some shopping (yay Trader Joe's) and there were resturants all around!! At least when I drive around Boone, my route doesn't take me past many fast food joints, but today was killer! I did pack a lunch, not a great one, but it kept me from eating stuff I don't want and from killing my fiance!

Day 6

M1: scrambled eggs, pork and potatoes

M2: epic bar, Larabar, cashews and dried mango

M3: Chicken breast, potatoes and green beans

Like I said, lunch wasn't great, but it was a burger and beer, so I'll take it ;)

We are leaving early tomorrow to head home and hit the grocery store so I can do some prep. I am looking forward to being in my comfort zone again. However, fiance's family have been very supportive and have eaten everything I have cooked, so yay to them. Although they will probably be glad to be back to Sonic and Arby's tomorrow, lol.

Feeling good and kicking Whole30's butt!

Today I am having a major bout of "Kill all the things". 

I woke up and had a melt down because my fiance took both our lunches to work today (I don't know how) and that left me running late for work and so concerned because I had nothing planned for lunch today - and I was SOOO excited for the tuna salad and zucchini slices that I made!! I sat in the middle of the kitchen floor and angry cried. 

Then I got to work and had a meeting first thing - and it was a doozy! Took all my strength to not tell everyone to take a hike and stop rambling! We have a tendency to have to talk everything to death in my office, which is usually fine, because then I use that time as social hour, but today I was having none of it. After a few snarky remarks and some eye rolling, the meeting was finally over and I have relegated myself to my office and closed the door. 

The weird thing is - part of me is so made and irritated and the other part just wants to laugh at how stupid I am being. I feel like 2 people.

Thank goodness for this forum and a safe place for me to spill my guts. 

------------

I wanted to reflect on why I chose to do Whole30. I know that a lot of people have shared in their logs why, and I think it would be good for me to put it here so when I get one of those bad moments, I can come back and see what the heck I am doing this all for!

Overall better relationship with food

More energy

Clearer skin, stronger nails and hair

Lower BP and Cholesterol

Lose the mystery pains

Get rid of Heartburn/Indigestion/GERD

Weight Loss :)

But when push comes to shove, I am 33 years old and I want to feel like I am 33. Its ridiculous that I am on the verge of being medicated for my BP and Cholesterol, that I have been medicated for my GERD, that I wake up with aches and pains and that I have issues with my sciatica. I live smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains, and I want to hike and bike and camp. I want to be able to chase my niece around. I want to be able to have the energy to be involved with my community after I get done with work and not just want to go home and sit on the couch. I do not want to end up like my grandmother or be headed on the path of my mother. I want to be healthy, fit, active and happy.

So yeah - WHOLE30!!

------------

Tonight we leave for TN. I have a bunch of emergency foods packed (EPIC bars, Larabars, apples, oranges, cashews) and I have meal plans for Saturday breakfast and Dinner. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

And lastly, today's meal plan!

M1: 3 fried eggs over pork and spinach, coffee with CM

M2: Sweet potato soup, leftover cauliflower mash, EPIC bar, apple with cashew butter, LaCroix

M3: Tuna salad (tuna, bell pepper, onion, pickles, homemade mayo) and zucchini slices (hopefully - if they make their way home, lol)

From the countdown calendar today: "Do not reward yourself with a treat, you are not a dog"!

Have a great day everyone!!

I enjoyed reading through your posts, it's interesting to see what i have in store!

I can completely relate to your meeting in work as it sounds like my work! I started W30 yesterday so 1st day of work tomorrow since starting. 

Your meals look great especially the shrimp, keep it up and good luck!

Day 8 and back to feeling comfortable! I spent the evening prepping for the week and it felt good to feel like I am back in control. 

For dinner last night I made burgers with portobello mushroom buns - AMAZING! Fiance told me it was "the best damn burger he has had"!! 

Meal plan for today:

M1: BF Casserole, coffee with CM 

M2: Mixed greens with ground beef and Tessmae's Cracked Pepper dressing, Sweet Potato Soup

M3: Coconut Shrimp Curry with riced cauliflower

Also, NSV - I took off the nail polish today that I have had on since Jan 1, and my nails are much stronger and very white!! Very much on their way to what I would love them to be like! YAY!!

Day 8 and back to feeling comfortable! I spent the evening prepping for the week and it felt good to feel like I am back in control. 

For dinner last night I made burgers with portobello mushroom buns - AMAZING! Fiance told me it was "the best damn burger he has had"!! 

Meal plan for today:

M1: BF Casserole, coffee with CM 

M2: Mixed greens with ground beef and Tessmae's Cracked Pepper dressing, Sweet Potato Soup

M3: Coconut Shrimp Curry with riced cauliflower

Also, NSV - I took off the nail polish today that I have had on since Jan 1, and my nails are much stronger and very white!! Very much on their way to what I would love them to be like! YAY!!

The prawn curry recipe looks great i'm going to make that!

I'm glad your feeling in control now and seeing improvements already  :)

Today was a super busy day at work! But it was awesome!

M1: sweet potato soup, banana and cold brew coffee with cm

M2: left over curry, Apple with cashew butter

M3: Shepard's pie

I also made my own Larabar today, so easy and very good (or at least the leftover on my fingers was) and a pumpkin breakfast custard with pecans that will be tomorrow's meal 1.

Day 9 in the bag!!

Good morning! 

I am really starting to feel my energy level soar! Last night I had so much energy that I had to force myself to go to bed at a reasonable time, and I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep - but I did no problem. And then this morning when I woke up, it was one of those "jump out of bed wide awake" mornings. Its amazing!

Today is gong to be another busy day! I work at a university, and sometimes it gets to be pretty boring when the students are gone for a break. They just came back yesterday, and I feel like there is some energy back on campus! Love it!

M1: Pumpkin Breakfast Custard, Coffee with CM

M2: Egg Salad with avocado, Mayo and salt and Pepper with Endive

M3: Salad with pulled pork and Tessemae's Caesar dressing (leftovers)

My plan is to go home and clean tonight! I have a friend and fellow Whole30er coming over for dinner on Friday, and I have spent so much time cooking, that I have neglected cleaning the house - that will be this evening's task! 

Also - here are the links to the Shepard's pie and Larabars from yesterday!! Both delish!!

Yeah Day 10!!

Since receiving your immersion blender, have you tried to make mayo again? When you add coconut oil to your coffee do you use your immersion blender?  What kind of cold press coffee did you buy? Do you have a French press?

I think I'm done drilling you for now... LOL

Oh wait, what meal are you planning to cook on Friday for your friend?  Energy soaring is great! I don't feel like that, but I haven't drink coffee since the 3rd and I've just been drinking decaf tea for the last week, so I guess that's good! Are you being nicer at work now? :)

Since receiving your immersion blender, have you tried to make mayo again? When you add coconut oil to your coffee do you use your immersion blender?  What kind of cold press coffee did you buy? Do you have a French press?

I think I'm done drilling you for now... LOL

Oh wait, what meal are you planning to cook on Friday for your friend?  Energy soaring is great! I don't feel like that, but I haven't drink coffee since the 3rd and I've just been drinking decaf tea for the last week, so I guess that's good! Are you being nicer at work now? :)

Hahah - I am being MUCH nicer at work!

I have made mayo - it was very successful and delicious! I made some egg salad and tuna salad and it tasted great!! 

I have yet to use the blender for the CO and coffee - I might try that this weekend. 

I made my own cold brew with 2c coffee (Starbucks Blonde) in a stocking and 96 oz. of water (In a sun tea glass jug). I let it sit for about 20 hours - it has a nice strong taste but its not bitter at all. I usually nuke it for about 2 minutes and can drink it black. I do not have a french press. Kudos to you for quitting caffeine! 

My meal for Friday is Carne Asada with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts (veggies were her request). We are also coming to make some LaCroix "cocktails" and drink them out of the new wine glasses I got for Christmas (and haven't used yet...lol).

Hahah - I am being MUCH nicer at work!

I have made mayo - it was very successful and delicious! I made some egg salad and tuna salad and it tasted great!! 

I have yet to use the blender for the CO and coffee - I might try that this weekend. 

I made my own cold brew with 2c coffee (Starbucks Blonde) in a stocking and 96 oz. of water (In a sun tea glass jug). I let it sit for about 20 hours - it has a nice strong taste but its not bitter at all. I usually nuke it for about 2 minutes and can drink it black. I do not have a french press. Kudos to you for quitting caffeine! 

My meal for Friday is Carne Asada with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts (veggies were her request). We are also coming to make some LaCroix "cocktails" and drink them out of the new wine glasses I got for Christmas (and haven't used yet...lol).

I love my mocktail hour and have used wine glasses, highball glasses, etc. Tried some sparkling water flavors from Whole Foods (an enthusiastic yes on raspberry lemon, a hearty thumbs down on mint) and garnish with fruit, etc. It's been crucial to cutting out the drinking for me!

I am feeling not hungry at all. I only ate half my breakfast and I have zero desire to eat lunch. But I will - because I know I have to :)

M1: Pumpkin Breakfast Custard

M2: Shepard's pie left overs

M3: Meatballs with zoodles and tomato sauce. 

Hope y'all are having a great day!!

Archived