My first Whole30 starts MONDAY (1/11/2016)

aeagan

Day three! Woohoo! So far so good. I work long hours so raw veggies and fruit are keeping me going. I am going to experiment with soup this weekend. That will help with lunches on work days. I am very scared of what is going to happen on Friday when I have to run 10 miles for my training. I have always used some sort of nutrition that is processed. I think I will try applesauce and may Justin's almond butter packets. For ten miles I should only need to replenish one time during the run. I guess I will know pretty quickly if this is going to work! Keep up the good work everyone! You got this!

How about some pitted Medjool dates?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've made it to day 4!

I didn't have any hangover symptoms on days 2-3, sometimes a headache would try to form, but it never did (I also get migraines).  I was hungry a couple of times yesterday.  I have absorption issues so I'm thinking it's either because my gut isn't healed and not absorbing well or it's emotional hunger from stress and boredom or real hunger.  I ate 3 eggs with my breakfast this morning to see if that helps.  I snacked on nuts and coconut flakes I brought for lunch yesterday morning when I felt hungry, today I'm going to eat them with my lunch and not snack.

The only thing I'm questioning today is I woke up with a charley horse in my calf and my muscles are somewhat weak.  I have run half marathons and I exercise regularly so I was surprised when my legs were fatigued and hurting from going up the stairs in my house.  I was going to eat half a banana with my breakfast, but we only had one and my daughter has a green smoothie for breakfast every morning so I saved it for her.

I am starting today. I have known about the Whole30 over a couple of years now but never got into it. I wish I would have known about this forum earlier, I would have started with all of you! I know it's weird starting on a Thursday but I am done with feeling like crap!

So 7 days (almost) down!!! Congratulations everyone!

I've been feeling good, muscles a little weak, but other than that, really good. One thing I have noticed is that I feel a little more congested than normal (always congested- one reason I'm doing this) not sure if it's my body adjusting or if I'm actually coming down with something. I've had no problems being hungry between meals, but I find when its time to eat, I need to eat or I start to get crazy. My husband says I look slimmer in the torso - I won't argue

Hoping that everyone else is finding success! Have a great week everyone.

So 7 days (almost) down!!! Congratulations everyone!

I've been feeling good, muscles a little weak, but other than that, really good. One thing I have noticed is that I feel a little more congested than normal (always congested- one reason I'm doing this) not sure if it's my body adjusting or if I'm actually coming down with something. I've had no problems being hungry between meals, but I find when its time to eat, I need to eat or I start to get crazy. My husband says I look slimmer in the torso - I won't argue

Hoping that everyone else is finding success! Have a great week everyone.

I've had muscle weakness since day 3 or 4, I'm day 7 too, I worked out yesterday and it wasn't any more difficult than normal.  Let us know about the congestion and if you get sick.  Slimmer torso sounds amazing!  Do you live in a warm climate?  I'm only asking because maybe you are allergic to something in the environment.

Day 7 is a success! I have been craving something (anything!) off-plan all day long, and I am happy to report that I was able to resist! Even at the grocery store when I passed no less than 6 sample stations with lots of yummy looking things! I'm just so stoked I was able to bypass it all :-)

Lindsey

Day 8 here we come!

I have an incredible NSV to share with you guys.

I hurt my rotator cuff last summer, not sure what I did, but the front of it hurts, I'm unable to do push ups, I'm unable to lift things with that arm, I can't even stretch my arm all the way across my body when we stretch after exercise class.

I have very high deductible insurance, so I was putting off getting this looked at until this year, I was certain I would need surgery.

Saturday I did some pushups!  Yesterday it barely hurt, and today I can get my arm across my body, but I feel a little bit of discomfort.  I have had a huge long list of NSVs, but this is tops.  I know it's because I'm reducing inflammation.

I really struggled with the no weighing myself.  I'm a self confessed slave to the scale.  I made my 16 year old daughter take the battery out of the scale and hide it from me.  I see the scale but don't step on it, it somehow makes me stronger.  Today, day 8, I truly understand the no weighing thing.  If you are obsessed with your weight, you won't notice all of the other little amazing changes going on in your body.

I wouldn't believe this rotator cuff pain going away if it didn't happen to me, I'm so happy.

Hope everyone else is still going strong! Days 9 and 10 were truly the hardest for me, though I felt fine. I just didn't want to eat anything - on or off plan (it didn't help that it is that time of the month for me either). Yesterday was back on. My NSV is that my hair feels softer and looks shinier despite the fact that I haven't changed anything with my haircare products or how I style it. How about everyone else?

Day 13, we are so doing this!

I made some great recipes that are fabulous as leftovers, I've been making big batches of those recipes and freezing portions for lunches and dinners.  I make meals about 4-5 days a week and eat leftovers other days.  Here are great recipes that have made great leftovers.

Pioneer Woman Hamburger soup (I made my own beef bone broth with bones I bought from Whole Foods butcher).

Chocolate Chili (my own bone broth again)

Kalua Pig

My favorite may be the chocolate chili, I don't normally really even like chili.  I had it for lunch yesterday over a baked sweet potato with guacamole on top.  It was so amazingly delicious, the sweet of the potato with the savory chili and the smooth cool guac... yumm.... And the colors were so pretty.  My coworker told me that she could never eat those foods together; I was literally stunned, like it was so delicious, haha.  She's not nasty or mean, we always talk about our food.

I also made eggroll in a bowl with whole foods fresh coleslaw mix and some chicken breasts, very delicious.

I think running out of food ideas is my biggest fear, because then it will be so easy to eat something non compliant.  Can you guys post some of  your favorite meals?  If we are allowed to post links, I will link to my recipes.

My friend's son is in a band and I'm going to watch them at a bar tonight, I know I can do this... I'm going to wear a pair of jeans that I couldn't zip 2 weeks ago as a reminder to myself!  My head is in the right place, I'm sure I'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been going well for me. The only thing that I have noticed is although I don't get hungry between meals, if I am late for a meal I get so hungry and short tempered (hangry) I can hardly think to prepare it. I do most of the prep work in advance, but even so, it's hard to assemble a meal when I get that hungry.

It's been easier than I thought it would be.  I feel like I'm in the tiger blood phase.  I'm always pretty high energy, but I feel lighter and happy. I feel the kind of happy after a run and the endorphins kick in, I wish I could always feel like this, it's awesome.

I am wondering where everybody went? We are quickly approaching our 30 day mark. I came down with a crazy, nasty cold 4 days ago. I couldn't tell you the last time I was sick... not sure if it has anything to do with this plan or just a fluke. I am torn between possibly re-introducing or continuing on. I am looking forward to getting on the scale Thursday just for vanity's sake. Hope to hear from some of you.

Archived