My first Whole30 starts MONDAY (1/11/2016)

aeagan

I feel I'm ready, then I don't. I've prepared. My pantry has been cleaned out, my meals are all planed, lists are made, if/then scenarios are set... But then I panic a bit. I've read the book cover to cover. I know I need this. 2015 was my worst year for seasonal allergies, migraines, PMS, mood swings and just general sicknesses. I know I need a change, but change is not my forte. My husband is very supportive. I know I can get through it, but then I have my doubts. What if I don't see the results that others have? Will it be worth giving up cheese?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if you do it and you have terrific results?

Cheese isn't leaving the planet any time soon. You can choose to stick to the Whole30 rules for 30 days. One day at a time. Join a group thread of other folks doing a Whole30 around the same time as you, to help you stay on track.

I'm starting my Whole30 on Monday too, and I totally understand your fears. I'm hoping this will help with my psoriasis and general listless nature during the winter, but I'm naturally a self-saboteur, so I'm also afraid that 3 weeks in I'll choose to eat something not whole30 compliant. It's enough stress to put me off, but I also know I have to do this. I have to. We will both find success. Does it really matter if we're able to quantify it?

I am also starting whole 30 on Jan 11. I am feeling the same way. Cleaned out food created my shopping list for the week(this was harder than I thought my pantry is empty now!) I go shopping tomorrow and do food prep. I am excited and doubtful of doing this for 30 days. I hope I can do this, decided I can't suceed if I don't even try and if I fail, well I at least it means I tried! But i will remain positive, i will get threw this! We can do this just focus on one day at a time!

I start tomorrow too.  Looking forward to this, actually.  Am hoping to get answers to some medical issues that I've been plagued with since a teen (I'm 51).  Namely, migraines.  They've come back with a vengeance lately, and I am not sure why.  Even if hormonally induced, I'll bet there is a way to regulate my hormone changes with diet.  So.... onward and adventures!  :o

Namaste' all,

Jean

I'm starting my Whole30 on Monday too, and I totally understand your fears. I'm hoping this will help with my psoriasis and general listless nature during the winter, but I'm naturally a self-saboteur, so I'm also afraid that 3 weeks in I'll choose to eat something not whole30 compliant. It's enough stress to put me off, but I also know I have to do this. I have to. We will both find success. Does it really matter if we're able to quantify it?

Oh dear, Lindsey... do I recognize myself in your language sweet one!  Can I make a suggestion?  This is NOT a judgment, as I struggle with this myself.  Try, if you can, to change the language you use to describe yourself- even if you feel the above words and honest assessment of who you are.  We create who we are by our beliefs, actually, and it doesn't behoove us to self define with words like "naturally a self-saboteur."  If you can reframe that message in a way that still seems genuine, but creates a positive self image, I'd recommend it.  "Fake it until you can make it" if you have to!  How about "naturally a person wishing to create better for myself"  ??? 

Just something to "chew" on... pun intended.  Many blessings and love ~ Jean

Hey everyone!  I'm starting today as well.  This is my second, but it's still pretty daunting.  I have some ugly habits that would prefer I continue to avoid/ignore them, rather than deal with them head on...but that really isn't an option any longer.  This time around, I have a few specific goals in mind so that I thrive far more than just survive during this next month.  Ultimately, I'm not just looking for a 30 day reset, I'm looking to make some better decisions and develop good habits that will benefit my health.  Stay strong and focused on the why, don't just get caught up in the rules...you CAN do this.

Good Morning,

I am starting today, I am excited but nervous, not sure I can do this. I am the only one in the house doing this. My family supports me but they don't want to eat like I am going too. I have noticed already that they are asking what is there to eat? I went shopping Saturday and prepared yesterday. Not sure I did enough preparing as I didn't make my salad for lunch so have to do this morning, I didn't prepare snack bags. But I have ground pork and made sausage for breakfasts I have hard boiled eggs. I have a bag of already cut up vegetables. I sauteed vegetables, I made mayo and clarified butter. Ok I am ready. Time to shower, make breakfast and off to work. Wish me luck, 

Sue 

Just want to wish the newbies GOOD luck from a newbie just a bit ahead of you!! I can be your ghost of Whole 30 future. You CAN do it!! I teach high school where bagels and donuts magically fly through the air on any given week. My students offer me the cookies and croissants -still warm- from their Foods class down the hall, and stress is like your ever present shadow! I also have 3 kids- aged 10-16 and a huge Golden Retriever who thinks he runs the free world. I tutor on the side and have a position in my union. All that aside- I HAD to do something about that terrible, sinking, despair I feel when I go shopping for clothes, or fall asleep after a meal, or zone out at the red light at 4:00 p.m., or sit down to watch a quick newscast and lose all motivation, or tell myself next month, next week, next Monday. I tried going raw a few years ago, I did the month long cleanse in Clean. I know what my problem is and when I read It Starts With Food Dec. 30 - it was like finding myself again. I committed and now am saying hello to DAY 9 today. I even hosted my dept party at my house last week- made Penne Vodka and cookies and didn't touch one bite. I couldn't even taste it to adjust seasoning- but that's what kids are for!

If you have kids- it will be hard but I keep saying- I'm going into the belly of the beast! Face a tough challenge up front and you will see that it isn't SO tough. I just had a friend tell me she made me a dish to try at lunch tomorrow- with "everything you can have"! She was so excited and then she said it had chicken broth and I knew it had sugar in it. I felt like an idiot and had to tell her I couldn't eat it. I was "that annoying judge-y girl" and I hated myself. But- she was very understanding and said if I had great results, she would try it too!  Best wishes to all of you today as you start!!! I hope my story shows you can do it, even in crazy chaotic circumstances!!!

Susan

Well its day one...just finished eating a frittata and avacado, it was good very filling. I went shopping yesterday and prep cooked last night. I am trying to think ahead to next week as I am following their template for meals this week so it was fairly easy coming up with meal plan, so I am worried about next week. I am not very good at meal planning. I would like to come up with a method to make a menu that is fairly simple and doesnt take alot of time researching threw recipes to come up with some common meals so groceries will used up. Its a bit intimidating thinking I have to come up with 18-21meals for one week.

Day 1 is done (almost)...I haven't had dinner yet.  I had planned to have steak (it was in my freezer already...I am truly trying to avoid relying on this as a go to meal this time around) and roasted asparagus, and it's cooking...but it's nearly 9pm and I can't feel half my mouth (dentist visit this evening  :unsure: ), so I may just skip (so bad, I know!!)

Well its day one...just finished eating a frittata and avacado, it was good very filling. I went shopping yesterday and prep cooked last night. I am trying to think ahead to next week as I am following their template for meals this week so it was fairly easy coming up with meal plan, so I am worried about next week. I am not very good at meal planning. I would like to come up with a method to make a menu that is fairly simple and doesnt take alot of time researching threw recipes to come up with some common meals so groceries will used up. Its a bit intimidating thinking I have to come up with 18-21meals for one week.

For my menu, I have to try not to overcomplicate things.  I really enjoy cooking, and always feel like I need to try some new recipe, idea, or what not.  I would lose so much time looking at recipes, thinking about what I want or might crave, etc.  I followed their plan for a couple days, but then started to off-road a bit...which was good.  I felt like I was trying to choke down food I didn't actually care for and it felt like a diet, which is the opposite of what's intended.  So, it was really good for me to take some ownership and focus on following the rules instead of their example meal plan.  

A couple thoughts:

• Maybe just try 1-2 recipes a week, and utilize the leftovers (you can also double the recipes if you won't get bored).  
  • Then, try to have several meals that are flexible, some sort of easy protein combined with a sauce for flavor and variation with a side of whatever veg you have on hand (or prefer).  
  • This makes meals flexible and adaptable, doesn't require a lot of complicated recipes or detailed menus, and makes grocery shopping pretty easy.

I usually make a frittata for breakfast with whatever veg I have on hand...and I make enough to last 3-4 days (unless I need to eat it for an extra meal in a pinch).  Lunch this week (or at least for the next 3-4 days) is roasted veggies with a serving of Kahlua pork from Nom Nom Paleo (super easy crock pot recipe).  Dinner will likely be a mixture of proteins and sauces for variation since it's a busy week and I don't have a lot of time for experimenting.  I froze individual servings of pesto and chimmichurri sauce last time I made it, so I'll thaw those and mix with whatever protein is convenient or available and whatever veg I have laying around (I sauteed some cabbage last night, I ahve some cole slaw veggies, carrot sticks and guacamole, etc.)

It's not elaborate or fancy, but it's pretty easy to manage and plan when life is hectic...then on the weekend I'll spend a little more time and energy thinking up somehting different and fun for the following week.  Hope there's some helpful info in there....I also use a meal planning site (Plan to Eat) but that's probably more effort than you want to make :)  Hope the rest of the day continues well!

I started today! I keep telling myself it won't be easy. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, right? I know I need this. I am an endurance athlete and my biggest worry is getting through long rides and runs without GU or Skratch. I will be packing my backpack with fruits and nuts to power through those long sessions. I will drink water instead of the electrolyte drink that I have been using. If anyone has any great suggestions for the long run or ride, let me know! I am currently training for a 70.3 distance triathlon. There is no better time to reset than before a race to get clean and lean prior racing, Have a great day everyone! 

I started today too.  I don't think this is going to be too bad. I just had biopsies for celiac disease so I was going to have to give up gluten and dairy (dairy for just a while until my gut heals).

My problem is the amount of food I've eaten today.  I made my coffee with ghee, coconut oil, and coconut milk, that filled me up and I had to eat 2 eggs with spinach and sweet potatoes.  For lunch I had tuna salad on romaine leaves, baby carrots and guacamole and some nuts and coconut trail mix.  I think I'm going to cut back on the amounts I prepare for myself at each meal.  I went with the lower end of the recommended amount, but it may be too much. 

I started today! I keep telling myself it won't be easy. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, right? I know I need this. I am an endurance athlete and my biggest worry is getting through long rides and runs without GU or Skratch. I will be packing my backpack with fruits and nuts to power through those long sessions. I will drink water instead of the electrolyte drink that I have been using. If anyone has any great suggestions for the long run or ride, let me know! I am currently training for a 70.3 distance triathlon. There is no better time to reset than before a race to get clean and lean prior racing, Have a great day everyone! 

I found some dried currants at whole foods.  Are dates compliant?  I would find a naturally sweet dried fruit that has a good amount of carbs.  I run half marathons and had to come up with something besides GU and such.

I started today as well! I spent most of yesterday prepping food and even made a batch of beef bone broth which I drank this morning (comforting on a 0 degree Chicago day). My boyfriend looked like he was going to kill me for how "beefy" our house smelled all weekend but overall, he's being supportive.

I spent much of 2015 battling hormone headaches, listlessness, and just generally feeling "meh." I've also managed to gain ten pounds and while happy in my new relationship, not super happy with my efforts in general.

I am dreading the carb flu which as a total sugar/cake/baked good addict, know is on the horizon. But thank goodness coffee is allowed!

Almost time for lunch - green curry. :)

Archived