Well... that was depressing. Pre-diabetic ready to change

Well, prior to starting the whole 30 I wanted to get bloodwork so that I had some physical data to compare other than just the number on the scale since  historically that has depressed me and off railed me on other "diet" attempts. So, I went to my doctor today and spoke with him about where I am at mentally and my plans for the Whole 30 and he showed me some numbers that I had a feeling were going to be there. I dont remember the technical terms, but some sugar number from 65 up to 95 last time I had blood work. What ever that number is, 115 is diabetes. Then there was some hemoglobin number that last bloodwork I was at a 5.5 and diabetes is 5.7. (i might have the numbers slightly off, but you get the idea) My BMI was 39. So... he said he wouldnt be surprised if my numbers come back from todays bloodwork as diabetic. This has given the whole 30 for me even MORE importance... I mean, if I fail this time its not only about my weight... its about diabetes at 35! 

As depressing as it is, I am so happy I have this tool in my back pocket. Its to the grocery store this weekend to stock up on whole 30 foods, throw out the old & start on Monday planned and with all of the tools I need to make it through this. Its scary, because I dont want to fail again. It's exciting, because this seems different... not like a band-aid diet. Most of all it is necessary! I HAVE to do this for my kids, for my husband, for MY LIFE. I just HAVE to... 30 days. I have to.

YOU CAN DO THIS! :D

I used to be Prediabetic also and I'm now in the normal range thanks to Whole30 :wub:

I highly recommend doing as many of the Recommendations as you can, as these will give you your best results:

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

If you have high levels of fasting blood sugar, you may benefit a great deal from the "eat within 1 hour of waking" as it helps to reset hormones like cortisol, which can also impact your blood sugar.

If you have any trouble, ask for help. You're not the only Prediabetic doing Whole30 :)

You can do this! I'm a very young pre-diabetic as well (22) with severe insulin resistance. My a1C (or hemoglobin) had been in a healthy range for 3 years after my diagnosis. This year it shot back up after a lack of physical activity and lots of pasta and sweets. SO! Whole30 was an easy choice for us. You'll be eating really good food for your body and it's so helpful to learn meals you can integrate back into your normal routine.

One thing I found was that I was used to snacking all day long to keep my hypoglycemia at bay. For the first week I needed to allow myself to snack (with healthy foods) to teach my body to be okay with 3 meals a day. Now in week 2, I feel so much better with the 3 meals a day.

Good luck! I hope you're able to learn some new, healthy meals to eat forever.

• Moderators

You WILL succeed, believe it! If done as recommended, the Whole30 will banish the cravings that are making you doubt yourself.

Stick extra-close to the rules AND recommendations as you go through - they're not to torture you, but to ultimately make it all easier.

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

Thanks everyone!! So I talked to my doctor, because I was wondering why no one had told me of this condition until I brought it up... turns out I mis heard him. The I was thinking that I was 5.5 and 5.7 is diabetes...(thats the way he made it sound) WELL... after researching and calling doc to confirm, ABOVE 5.7 is INCREASED risk of diabetes...NOT diabetes... So, I am still in the "normal" range! Phew! BUT that being said if you look at the trend.... if Im not there now... I will be in a few years, so im glad i am doing something about it! Thanks everyone!!

Also... im on day 2 and have been eating fruit like 2x a day! ooops! just read that you should seriously limit fruit if you think you are insulin resitant and or have  a sugar dragon and hard time loosing weight! Well.. at least its only day 2 and I can fix it now. 

Small victory today... I was making my girl PB&J... nice new jar of PB and it was so hard not to lick that knife OR my fingers... even just out of habit! haha but I did it! :) 

You can still have fruit, but try and keep it with meals rather than as a snack. Berries have a lower impact to blood sugars than other fruit. I have more trouble with higher fructose fruits, but when I eat them with meals they generally don't impact my blood sugar much.

Archived