Jan. 18, 2016 Start Date

Audabee

It's been an interesting week at work. There have been so many treats at work and the problem has not been that I want some the problem has been that others feel that I should have it. I had to walk away from one co worker because she just wouldn't let up.

The thing that bothered me the most is that I didn't say anything one way or another but because I chose not to have anything the one lady pulled me by saying, "oh come on! This lavender loaf is so amazing I know you'll think it was worth it!" Then every person that had some, "it's amazing right? Tell Audrey!" It was ridiculous! I almost lost it on her. I kept my mouth shut and just ate my lunch. I know this is going to happen again....this woman is doing Weight Watchers and has yet to say no to any of the treats.

I'm not sure how to handle this situation. I was so upset for the rest of the day yesterday.

Audrey

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been an interesting week at work. There have been so many treats at work and the problem has not been that I want some the problem has been that others feel that I should have it. I had to walk away from one co worker because she just wouldn't let up.

The thing that bothered me the most is that I didn't say anything one way or another but because I chose not to have anything the one lady pulled me by saying, "oh come on! This lavender loaf is so amazing I know you'll think it was worth it!" Then every person that had some, "it's amazing right? Tell Audrey!" It was ridiculous! I almost lost it on her. I kept my mouth shut and just ate my lunch. I know this is going to happen again....this woman is doing Weight Watchers and has yet to say no to any of the treats.

I'm not sure how to handle this situation. I was so upset for the rest of the day yesterday.

Audrey

I have had the same thing happen to me on my other whole 30s and I did just what you did, said "No thank you" politely and just went about eating compliant. I did on one occassion have to resort to saying " it's not my fault that you feel a need to make yourself feel better about the choices you are making by roping everyone else in to making the same choice. I choose to say no and that should be enough. Aren't we adults?" Granted I said it with a smile and as much polite as I could... it was hard. But bravo to you for not being pressured into something!!!

Day 12 is going well... although work today is super busy, stressful, crazy etc.... Just had a spare 5 minuts to eat my lunch and take a second to myself...

I went for my first run since starting this yesterday and it was good! Felt great and am hoping for a nice 6 mile long run tomorrow. I usually have ballet class sat mornings and run a few miles before or after, but class got moved to sunday, so going to head out for 6 tomorrow and then 3 on sunday after class. Feels so good to be back at it, but I know I needed the break. Plus I am looking at my race schedule for the year and am seeing that I will have 3 HM and 1 ten mile race all in a month.... should be interesting. Hoping to PR the last HM in Oct.... 

have a great day everyone!!!!

Audrey

Ugh! How frustrating.  She probably thinks if she harps on you enough (or if others do) you will give in.  I would say just ignore her, and she will give up pretty quickly when she realizes it is fruitless.  Or you could side step it and say 'i am sure it is delicious, but i brought a different snack of my own for this afternoon, so i am actually all set!'.  She should get the hint.  Good luck!

Audrey, that sounds awful. :( We have all kinds of treats that float through the office, but no one tries to push them on me. :\ Something you can try is saying, "I don't eat that" very firmly. I also think you were right in walking away -- sometimes that's what you have to do. It sounds like you have a communal lunch area -- is there somewhere else you can eat that won't have the pressure to have a "treat"?

I have now had two food dreams. The first was during my nap yesterday afternoon. I dreamed that my husband (who's also doing W30) ate a cake. A whole cake. I was SO ANGRY at him. I yelled at him that he threw it all away for CAKE? REALLY?? When he got home from work, I also yelled at him, but we laughed about it.  :lol:  Then today I woke up from a food dream of my own, where I was eating a really pretty slice of cake that was layered and each layer was a different color. In my dream, I thought, "Is it really worth it to eat all this glutenous stuff?" and I thought, "Not really" but took a bite anyway. Then I thought, "But I can never tell my husband" and at that point I shook myself out of the dream and woke up. Luckily, I have no guilt about it and am just amused at my brain, tempting me with that rainbow of layers. 

Happy Day 13, everyone!

Tracy- what are some of your favorite workout clothes? I need some new ones.

My favorite is whatever is cute and cheap!  lol.  I went to Dunham's and they had this brand called 90 Degree by Reflex on sale.  Much less expensive than the name brands.  When I got to the register I found that they were even less expensive than I thought.  I thought the sale price was already on the tag, but there was an additional discount.  On top of that the cashier gave me some coupons to use so I wound up paying about $80 for two pairs of pants and 3 tops.

Last night I had to leave my house at 4:30 and drive an hour to go do a home party for my direct sales job.  This is always a challenge for me because the hostesses always have party food out and they always offer for me to have some.  I didn't have much time but I grabbed a hard boiled egg, baby carrots, sliced cucumbers, cashews and a water and I ate in the car on the way there.

It was a HUGE victory for me because she had my absolute favorite ham roll-ups and I was able to resist with struggle.

Audrey - I don't know why people have to be so pushy sometimes.  They wind up putting you in the position of having to be rude just to get them to respect your choices.  You are trying so hard to not be rude and just mind your own business.  Even though we know it's usually envy talking, it doesn't make it any easier to deal with.  She is obviously not doing very well avoiding temptations and she sees you being successful.   She wants to take you down on her sinking ship with her.  I hope she just learns to be respectful.

Rhed - those dreams are hilarious!  That hasn't happened to me yet, but in my dream it would be a mountain of cheese!  lol

My oldest has a basketball game this morning and they hand out snacks at the end as well as having concessions. My mom buys the boys a bag of chips at the game. Thankfully she's used to my being weird so I already told her ahead of time that we are doing a food experiment and NO CHIPS. I hope she listens because my 2 year old will meltdown if given chips he can't eat...I was thinking of letting him if the ingredients were compliant ,but the oils aren't. I'm taking him raisins and nuts as an alternative. Wish me Luck.

Thanks for all the support everyone! I decided that the best way to approach the whole situation with my co worker was head on. I used humour and pretty much told her that her behaviour was annoying and unappreciated. I think she got the message and quietly told me later that it really wasn't worth it having the treat as she was up at her last weigh in.

As for dinner at our friends tonight, they let us know that are making spaghetti. I'm going to cook up some spaghetti squash to take over. They are completely okay with me doing that and won't be the least bit offended by me bringing it.

I've been using the recipes from the whole 30 book and I have to tell you they are awesome! The Classic Chili was really delicious!

Major success with dinner out last night- the wine bar was packed so we ended up at an Italian place which had even fewer options- but I stuck to an Arugula salad with roasted tomatoes and a plate (5 pieces) of prosciutto.  My friends tried to get me to drink wine, but I was able to resist.  They didn't really understand what I was doing, but in the end didn't give me a huge amount of trouble, they just sort of laughed it off.  I wouldn't say dinner was THAT satisfying, but it worked.

Bring it on, weekend!

Major success with dinner out last night- the wine bar was packed so we ended up at an Italian place which had even fewer options- but I stuck to an Arugula salad with roasted tomatoes and a plate (5 pieces) of prosciutto.  My friends tried to get me to drink wine, but I was able to resist.  They didn't really understand what I was doing, but in the end didn't give me a huge amount of trouble, they just sort of laughed it off.  I wouldn't say dinner was THAT satisfying, but it worked.

Bring it on, weekend!

I would say not a lot of people at my work place get what I'm doing either. I'm getting used to the teasing.

Sounds like everyone is going well. Im still on track myself and will be upping the workouts starting tomorrow. My dizziness is pretty isolated to the am. Day 10 was probably my worst day as far as just not feeling great and overly tired. Things are definitely better now. I'm starting to be hungry a bit often than I was in the beginning so I'm going to increase my portion size a little bit. Hard to break the habit of multiple smaller meals in a day but I'm working on it. Can anyone recommend a good compliant hot sauce? Thanks all!

Day 12 for me.  Things are going good so far. Although I'm struggling today...  I'm getting sick with a cold and feel pretty crappy.  And exhausted! 

I'm also at work.....  sigh....  I have a make up day today and I'm here till 12 am..... sigh.....    I didn't have any energy to cook anything before work.  So I packed a salad with a can of compliant tuna.  (but as I sit here ... Im really not not looking forward to salad.....)  I really want a hot bowl of chicken soup.  If I was at home, I'd so be making some broth and getting that soup ready.  So I've already snacked this afternoon..  I had some almonds and an half of an orange..  which I know wasn't smart..  and the sugar in the orange is probably making me more tired...  oh well.. this too shall pass...  just need to sip on my hot tea to help my throat and get thru my day.  Fortunately we're not super busy today..  so hopefully it stays that way. :)

I'm going to have to tighten down my grocery budget for Feb...  so it'll be potatoes and eggs every morning... some kind of  potato/meat/veg  at dinner time..  .  Lots of simple meals that won't break my budget.  I hope it'll work out.  I realized on the last shopping trip that if I didn't have to buy for the typical SAD fare for the rest of the family then it wouldn't be as expensive.   one day I'll do a whole30 for the whole family...  sheesh..  I'm sure it's worth it, but it would be a lot of cooking!!  Hats off to those who are doing it during this whole30!! You're amazing!! 

Have a great weekend!

Kristina

Hey what's up everybody? Day 13 for me and I feel so tired all day. I didn't get much sleep last night because I had to work a 13 hour day, 15 hours if you include the commute. My hunger was in control but I felt like I had no energy. I drink 3 cups of black coffee and it felt like it did nothing. Hopefully I'll have much more energy tomorrow. I start exercising in the morning so hopefully I'll start feeling better. Hope everybody else killing it.

I'm going to have to tighten down my grocery budget for Feb...  so it'll be potatoes and eggs every morning... some kind of  potato/meat/veg  at dinner time..  .  Lots of simple meals that won't break my budget.  I hope it'll work out.  I realized on the last shopping trip that if I didn't have to buy for the typical SAD fare for the rest of the family then it wouldn't be as expensive.   one day I'll do a whole30 for the whole family...  sheesh..  I'm sure it's worth it, but it would be a lot of cooking!!  Hats off to those who are doing it during this whole30!! You're amazing!! 

Kristina - I know exactly what you mean.  I live with my boyfriend and my teenage son.  Neither of them are on board with Whole30, which means I have to go to three different grocery stores to satisfy everyone's needs.  It's ok though.  I don't mind grocery shopping at all.  Most days I actually enjoy it.

I have discovered that skipping "recipes" and just sticking to the meal template with simple foods saves a lot of money.  Recipes usually call for a million different ingredients, whereas I could just as easily have a protein, veggies and a fat and only have to buy 3 things for that entire meal, plus the veggies and the fat usually last for more than one meal.  Like if I buy an avocado I have my fat for two meals.  If I cook a huge batch of sautéed carrots, that might last me 4 meals.

The first recipe I tried from the Whole30 cookbook had like 16 ingredients!  Keeping it simple has been working much better for me.

Day 13 today and still going strong!!  

Survived eating out at Olive Garden last night!  Thankfully our waitress was awesome and had no problem making the requests to make my meal compliant.  I had a salad with no dressing, oil & vinegar on the side, salmon and steamed broccoli.  It was good.  :)

Y'all have way more patience than I do with shopping for nonW30 food. I'd be cooking what I'm cooking and if you don't like it, buy your own (at least with grownups, can't say how I'd do with kids because I don't have any).

I'm really super proud of my husband. He has a work trip coming up on Tuesday that will have him on the road for lunch and dinner, and he started planning a week in advance for how to handle it.

Day 14! Have to get my shopping list ready. One lesson I learned last week is that I'll need to do a midweek shop as well, at least for fresh meat. I had some chicken go bad this week. Broke my heart to throw it away. :(

Y'all have way more patience than I do with shopping for nonW30 food. I'd be cooking what I'm cooking and if you don't like it, buy your own (at least with grownups, can't say how I'd do with kids because I don't have any).

I'm really super proud of my husband. He has a work trip coming up on Tuesday that will have him on the road for lunch and dinner, and he started planning a week in advance for how to handle it.

Day 14! Have to get my shopping list ready. One lesson I learned last week is that I'll need to do a midweek shop as well, at least for fresh meat. I had some chicken go bad this week. Broke my heart to throw it away. :(

We bought a lot of meat on sale last weekend. We grilled a whole batch of chicken the day we bought it then froze it. The rest we divided it into individual portions and froze them. Saves us having to go to the store midweek.

My husband keeps saying we're going to go broke ,but we know that good food is worth it...but it's still a lot of money with 4 people.

I made some banana chips earlier and planned to eat some with a meal,but after testing 2 while they were still drying(during my lunch),I really don't think I should. They are super sweet and as much as I love banana chips,I've been doing so well with sugar cravings and I don't want to mess it up. I have to be careful with eating oranges too especially with/right after dinner so my brain isn't thinking it's dessert lol

Going into another week! What's everyone prepping/cooking? We're almost halfway!!

Wow... hard to believe it's already 2 weeks! I'm grateful I have had so many supportive people, and Audabee, I am so sorry you had to face that. I know many people ask if this is healthy, or appropriate and I have found there is always someone nearby that has let them know how many foods they've had to give up in the interest of health. I find more people are envious that I have taken a step to get and stay healthy and they ask a lot of questions about the program. I do not push it or even encourage anyone to try it, because I've always found when friends push their "gluten free" or "vegan" lifestyle it's unbelievable annoying. But I keep getting people coming to me asking a lot of great questions (many of which we have had answered on these forums). I'm so grateful for everyone's support on here! The recipes on Instagram have been great and it's easy to eat well.... but takes a lot of planning! 

Some of the other "stuff" still looks good, (especially on the weekends) but that sugar dragon has left town. I had some grapes with breakfast the other day and thought they were almost too sweet. Someone was talking about ice cream the other day and it actually made me queasy thinking about it. Amazing. 

Starting a more regimented fitness plan tomorrow.... so, onward and upward!  Getting ready for a Whole 9 challenge after this!  Thanks everyone! 

azcoolmom, I had a moment like that too. I made Mel Joulwan's kickass ketchup last night, and I had my husband taste it. I warned him that it wasn't as sweet as commercial ketchup, but then I realized it was sweet enough for me. I think I could even leave out the figs and it would still be sweet enough.

Audabee - Yeah, I should do that. I hate defrosting, though, and I haven't rearranged my brain to make Saturday my shopping/cookup day. I work Sunday mornings, so by the time I get done with that and get home from the store, it can feel like it's too late to do the cookup. I know: Excuses! But I also don't really mind running to the store after work; at least then I know the meat is fresh.

I've been really really emotional the past few days. I'm about a week out from my period, so that is probably a big part of it. I assessed my starchy veg intake, and I'm doing fine, so it's not my food. I did find it harder to meet my water goals over the weekend, though, so maybe that's thrown me off as well. I'm also still struggling sometimes with eating enough so I don't get hungry or hangry between meals.

Oh well. Day 15! Halfway there. :D

I feel so tired all day. . . .

Darnell, I'm on day 21. I was super tired and lethargic days 9-15. Not sure why, but then I got my energy back and I have been very "alive" since. Over the weekend I was very motivated, creative, and productive. This process is a series of phases, and being tired is simply a part of the process. Good luck.

I fully agree. Whole30 food isn't some strange diet. It's simply REAL FOOD. Why would I shop to feed my children pseudo-food to comply to their whims? My home is Whole30 compliant right now. I'm cooking with the promise that all meals will be nutritious and tasty. That's all I owe my family. If someone wants to prepare themselves non-compliant food, or eat something outside the home, that's fine. But I'm not making special non-compliant meals for anyone when I have already prepared real food everyone is welcome to. Part of it for me, too, is thankfulness for what is being provided. Maybe it's because I was raised in a home where you ate what you were served - and we were healthy. To exhibit a lack of appreciation for the hard work my mother put into preparing our nourishment was an insult to her, and to the food before us. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but my children have learned to love a lot of foods, and they are healthy and have learned to make good eating decisions now that they aren't little. (please excuse the monologue).

My husband keeps saying we're going to go broke . . .

Our grocery bill increases, but we eat out way less, so it's actually cheaper for us in the long run. If this becomes a foundation for lifestyle, kale and chard grow fairly well in home gardens in many US regions. Another way to cut costs. (still eating kale, chard, arugula, carrots, beets, cabbage, parsnips, in Oregon).

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone's day is going well. :)  Everything is good.. I pulled out of my sore throat without a full blown terrible cold.  Whew!!  Thank you herbs and vitamins and whole30!! :) 

TracyA-  thanks for feeling my pain. :)  I usually just shop at one store.  I find most everything I need.  I do use Amazon for coconut aminos, complaint tuna, coconut flour, almond meal.. etc..  I like their subscribe and save option.

Dfox-  That's awesome that you can keep your house completely compliant!  :)

Unfortunately I'd have a mutiny if I took away my husband's ice cream, snack foods and ability to cook potatoes without butter and sour cream. :(  The meals I make for dinner are compliant and the whole family eats them.  I do have a problem with breakfast and lunch.  The boys will not eat potato and eggs. for breakfast.. :(  they love the adelis chicken sausage.. it's pretty expensive so this go around I'm doing the whole30 without it.  Also my dinners do not have much in the way of left overs..  I have left overs for one meal usually.    I pack lunch for the boys everyday and it's challenging for me to pack whole food lunches without snacks.  My boys are 9, 7, and 4 so they're not cooking independently.  Maybe one day I'll be able to do it for the whole family. It would be hard to convince my husband who doesn't care and doesn't have the energy to be compliant for 1 day much less 30 days.

Oh boy, I waited to long to eat!! I've got the hangry headache.  Work has been crazy today!!!!  argh!!   I just ate my lunch, but it'll probably take a little bit to get rid of the headache. 

Check back with you later!!

Kristina

Archived