Chez Julie Whole30 Round 3 Log - 1/18/16

chezjulie

MISS ME?

I'm back to start my third Whole30. Before I get into the nitty gritty, I have some exciting news. One of my main goals of the last Whole30 was to lower my average blood glucose levels from the prediabetes range to the normal range. I have been waiting for the results of a December blood test, and...

I DID IT!!!!!!!

I believe it was the combination of the two Whole30's that got me there. I was so excited to be back in the normal range.

Now that is not to say that I've been anywhere near compliant of healthy since my last Whole30 ended. I find that once the month is over, I revert to old habits and gain back any weight I lost. BUT... I feel pretty inspired by knowing that I actually reduced my chance of getting diabetes by eating this way. So I'm going to press on, get another blood test in a couple of months, and see how I'm doing.

Like you, Britt, I plan to exercise more during this Whole30. It will be interesting to see how that affects things.

Now without further ado, commence the tracking! (BTW I have yet to go to the grocery today, so my Meal 2 looks pretty off balance).

Meal 1   turkey sausage, bell peppers, cauliflower, & potatoes in oil, slivered almonds, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2   hot dog, sauerkraut, banana w/almond butter, 1/2 kombucha  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meal 2, ctd.   Went back and ate the second hot dog

Meal 3           beef, chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, EVOO

S1                 green salad w/roasted red pepper dressing, watermelon chunks

I forgot to weigh myself before I started. Not that it really matters what I weighed on Day 1, but it's kind of interesting to quantify the change.

Meal 1   crispy fried eggs w/ghee over sweet potato

Meal 2   tuna fish, avocado, Fresh Express Digestive (spinach, baby kale, pak choi, beet tops, carrots, dates, almonds, flax seeds), EVOO & balsamic

I weighed myself this morning. Back to my starting point but hey, I've got to start somewhere.

Yesterday I cleaned the oven, cleaned out the fridge, went grocery shopping, and cooked some sweet potatoes in the slow cooker. Planning on more prep tonight after work. I was going to bring my kebab leftovers for lunch today but my husband ate them!!!!! Oh, well, at least he ate something healthy!  ^_^

Day 2

Meal 3:   2 1/2 balsamic kale chicken sausage, small sweet potato, broccoli w/ghee, sauerkraut, watermelon & blueberries

Man, I am soooooo tired. I only got 5 hours of sleep last night, plus I think I'm being hit with Day 2 of crappy food withdrawal. Sorry, laundry, I'm not going to get to you tonight.

I was also famished between meals, even though I've been eating a lot.

Meal 1   2 1/2 balsamic kale chicken sausage, sweet potato, broccoli w/ghee

Meal 2   tuna fish, avocado, Fresh Express Digestive (spinach, baby kale, pak choi, beet tops, carrots, dates, almonds, flax seeds), EVOO & balsamic

Snack 1 roasted macadamia nuts

Meal 3   3 chicken thighs slow cooked in pasta sauce, broccoli w/ghee, Kombucha

I am a lazy cook and I highly recommend putting a couple of packages of chicken thighs in the slow cooker, tossing in a jar of compliant pasta sauce, and letting it cook while you're at work. 

I took the macadamia nuts to work because I was going to a reception and I knew they wouldn't have any compliant food.

Update on the kebab situation: I found the to go box in the back of the refrigerator. Sorry I blamed you, honey!  :wub:

Last week I had the pleasure of visiting my aunt and uncle in New England. After a very healthy dinner one night (salmon, a green salad, and a wild rice salad), my aunt said something like, "We have a carefully planned indulgent portion of ice cream after dinner every night." I immediately thought, "That sounds like the thinking of a moderator!" I was not actually sure they existed, because everyone on this board seems to be an abstainer. (The Whole30 is almost like an eating plan for abstainers).

So I told them about the moderators vs. abstainers thing. She went on to say that every day, she and my uncle also each eat one square of chocolate, and she would feel really gypped if she didn't get that one square. My aunt and uncle are both very trim by the way, and committed to healthy eating in general and to exercise. Me on the other hand, I don't think I've ever eaten one single square of chocolate in my life!

I felt like I was on one of those nature shows, having captured sight of the elusive creatures... the Moderators!  :D

DAY 4

Meal 1   3 chicken thighs in pasta sauce, sweet potato, drizzle of EVOO, small handful Brazil nuts, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2   tuna fish, avocado, spinach & arugula, blueberries, EVOO & balsamic

It was Brazil nuts I had yesterday (and this morning), not macadamia nuts. That was the last of them.

DAY 4, ctd.

Snack 1   banana

Meal 3     salmon (almond crusted), roasted carrots, zucchini

Snack 2   apple, hearty almond butter, cinnamon

I was super hungry today. Could be due to medication, or possibly just lead up to my period. Ate way too much almond butter as part of a snack tonight. 

However, that's four compliant days under my belt, which is nothing to sneeze at!

DAY 5

Meal 1:   2 hot dogs, sweet potato w/ghee & pps

Meal 2:   hake fish, steamed kale, squash & zucchini

Meal 3:   steamed shrimp & vegetables

Snack 1: banana w/hearty serving almond butter, Kombucha

I was starving by tonight. I think I didn't eat enough filling stuff for me earlier in the day, and I'm also having pre-period hunger. I would have been better off having a second sweet potato than breaking into the almond butter again. I'm planning to leave it at my Mom's house for our Sunday breakfasts only so it doesn't throw off all my good work.

DAY 6

Meal 1   pork carnitas, grilled cabbage, grilled carrots, 2 date coconut rolls, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2   2 eggs, smoked turkey, potatoes, grilled cauliflower & mushrooms, EVOO, cashew halves

Meal 2   beef kebabs, grilled broccoli & cauliflower, fruit cup, date coconut roll & dried fig

Last night I had my first Whole30 dream ever. I dreamed that my family was going to visit our Cuban relatives. (I should mention here that we have no Cuban relatives). The younger people wanted to take me out, so we went to this very simple bar where the bartender made me a drink of fresh pineapple, fresh apricot, and vodka. Sounds delicious, right? There was no way I was turning that down. And I remember thinking something along the lines, of "F*** it, there's no way I can do a Whole30 while I'm a guest in these people's home in Cuba."

When I woke up I was glad I hadn't blown the Whole30, but a little sorry I couldn't have a tropical drink.  :D

DAY 7

Hey, I'm on the last day of Week 1!

Meal 1   pork carnitas, hot dog, ketchup & mustard, grilled mushrooms, banana w/almond butter, 2 figs, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2   grilled chicken, mixed greens, napa cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, & T's Lemon Garlic Dressing

The breakfast was not as huge as it sounds... polished off a few leftovers from the Whole Foods bar as part of it.

S1    Larabar

M3   2 chunks beef, broccoli & cauliflower, mayo, Kombucha

M4   3 crispy fried eggs, chopped salad, balsamic & EVOO

Felt nauseous in the evening... probably the eggs (which have had that effect before), and maybe too much screen time.

Well, a little glitchy last night and this morning. I wasn't feeling well, and in the middle of the night I got up and ate two chocolates. 

Meal 1   2 Larabars

Meal 2   hamburger, avocado, mustard, asparagus spears, green salad w/oil & vinegar

Meal 3   roasted chicken, Japanese sweet potato w/ghee & pps, red cabbage & grapes salad, almond butter, blueberries, Kombucha

Not a well balanced breakfast, but I got back on track with lunch. I'm eating too many nuts and too much dried fruit, but I'm just going to keep pushing on and doing my best!  :)

I was giving some more thought to that today, Britt. I don't do a "perfect" Whole30. I eat the two servings of fruit allotted to me because I love fruit. I indulge in nut butters and dried fruit more often that I should to achieve the best results. But I think that might be best for me; the 30 days doesn't feel like something I have to white knuckle through, and I still get improved health from it.

Meal 1   banana, almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2   tuna fish, avocado, Fresh Express Digestive (spinach, baby kale, pak choi, beet tops, carrots, dates, almonds, flax seeds), EVOO & balsamic

Wasn't feeling too well at breakfast and the chicken I had on hand did not sound good at all!

DAY 10

Meal 1   Applegate turkey sausage, sweet potato w/ghee pps, cauliflower w/mustard sauce, coffee w/coconut milk

Meal 2   tuna fish, baby spinach, arugula, avocado, blueberries, EVOO & balsamic

I'm planning to do a cook-up on Sunday. I've been relying too much on healthy takeout and processed meats like sausage and hot dogs. I've been a wee bit under the weather, and I took my Mom to a museum and out to lunch on Sunday, so didn't have as much time as usual. (But had a lovely day with my Mom!)

DAY 11, ctd.

Meal 3   shrimp, greens, winter vegetables, figs, herb dressing

Snack 1 LaraBar

Snack 2 4 pieces of chocolate

I had some asthma last night and felt horrible and ate a Larabar and some chocolate that was lying around. Moving on.

Archived