Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jkwo: You are not alone with the cravings! DH made popcorn last night - one of our typical Wednesday evening rituals when not on W30 - and I really wanted some. I realized that I wasn't hungry - but I just wanted some because of habit and I like popcorn. And, no, I haven't experienced any changes in body composition that are apparent to me. The 10 lbs that I gained over the holidays are not giving up easily - and clothes are still just a little tighter than what is comfortable. Right now my biggest goal is "healthy" and hopefully with that will eventually come a healthier weight, as well.

HeidiAlexis: Yes, MJ's chocolate chili is in her first Well Fed cookbook - that's the only one of hers that I have, but I was scoping it out a couple of days ago thinking I want to try it. Maybe this weekend. Oh, and are you being careful to get enough fat in your Meal 1 and Meal 2? That is what seems to make the difference for me to be able to get from lunch to dinner without snacking.

I "think" (and that's a BIG "think"), that I'm finally starting to be able to gauge when I'm actually hungry, but I really have to make a conscious effort to tune in to what my body is telling me at any given point in time. For instance, I had a long stretch when I was ravenous the minute I walked in the door from work (1 to 2 hrs before dinner time) and wanted to eat everything in sight. At this point, I've been eating compliant for breakfast and lunch for long enough (I never really stopped doing that after my first W30) that I'm no longer starved when I get home from work, but occasionally I still find myself going to the fridge or the pantry to look for something to munch on. When it happens, I stop and think, and it becomes apparent that I'm NOT hungry, I just want something because I LIKE munching. That's one hobby that I will be happy to give up. :D

Yes! I often have that snacky thing after work/before dinner. For me it's just a transition thing, and unfortunately I've used food to help me make the transition. Over time, just became a habit. Scary thing is I think sometimes my very real hunger cues are just a product of conditioning.

I do work on getting enough fats...I almost think I'm getting too much (but apparently not, if I'm still finding myself hungry at times) ha! I try to remember to eat enough to hold me over to the next meal - which helps to inform me how much I need to eat at each meal.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Good morning!

Madrikh I really enjoyed reading your post and list! You'll have to note some of the recipes that look good to you from Well Fed. I'm still waiting on the copy I have on hold at the library!

Yesterday was a mess regarding my schedule but I made it through on the fly! Helped to have leftovers hanging around and unexpectedly going a while between meals was not as much of a disaster as it may have been prior to Whole 30, because even if I feel hungry, it's not that 'must have food now' kind of hunger. I find myself a bit more balanced overall and not too far on either end of the hungry-full pendulum.

Not noticing too many physical changes either. The first week seemed to have more dramatic results, which makes sense - now I seem to just be evening out. As for PMS, I'm finding that I'm tired but I have not had any raging symptoms yet, and I'm just two days out. We'll see how it goes but so far so good. No intense cravings, which I'm still totally fascinated by. Normally I'd be like, clawing at everything sweet and letting my sugar monster have total control. For me to not have chocolate at any time of day but especially at night after dinner, this is MAJOR.

Tonight we go to dinner for my Dads birthday! Will go with my plan of club soda with lemon and olives, plain salad (with coconut aminos that I am bringing) and sashimi. Should be a great night!

Day 12! Insane! Enjoy, everyone. It's FRIDAY!

Afternoon Day 12-ers!

What a week, in so many ways....very pleased its Friday.

I did some food prep - so I now have the Butternut Squash Soup made up, salads prepped, sausages done and baked some sweet potatoes off in advance. I also made some guacamole and a salad dressing and a few hard boiled eggs. Tonight I am testing out the chicken recipe from Well Fed as I wanted to batch cook up some chicken - so going to try their brining technique out!

Sunday I will make up the sweet potato soup and some of the mince and some more salads. I think if I can try and get a Weds or Thurs and a Sunday session to cook and prep each week then I will have cracked it!

I have noticed today that my trousers and jeans do feel a little looser - not falling down, but there is definitely some movement there. I was always bloated on my previous average food day, so I think maybe I am just less bloated and this is showing...who knows but its a small but positive reminder to me of one of the side effects this could bring after 30 days.

Tomorrow is a day out, so I am taking my own lunch as everyone else will be eating out.

I am unsure if I slept better last night or not really but I bought some of the Natural Calm magnesium powder the emails recommended and I am going to start introducing that before I got to bed. I am definitely less 'hungry' than week 1. I know that it was often the boredom/stress reaction rather than hungry but I was genuinely hungry some days all day. So far this hasn't been the case for the last few days...

Good luck to all and Happy Friday!

Sarah

sarahAwright - please report back on what you thought about the brined chicken. I'd be interested to know if it's worthwhile to do that. Usually when I do a whole chicken I do it in the crockpot similar to this recipe (I leave the skin on and vary the seasoning according to our preferences). It generally turns out pretty good - the first time I did it hubby said "that's it - we're never buying another rotisserie chicken when we can make them at home and they taste this good!". I'm just curious what difference the brining will make.

[TMI alert - mucous discussion] Woke up today with more mucous than I've had for a few days, which made itself felt from the time I woke-up this morning and especially when I was out walking the dog. I suspect it could be related to a dust/mite allergy. And I was so looking forward to a day at home and time for quilting tomorrow! I guess I will be doing some dusting and a thorough vacuuming first, though. I have long suspected that the mucous may also be related to dairy and/or wheat sensitivities. Hence, my plan to do the re-intro's after this Whole30 very carefully, but need to reduce the dust content of my home in order to really get a feel for the cause - Arghhhh! :-)

Is anyone else experiencing occasional bouts of fatigue? Sometimes I feel pretty good, and other times I just feel like I want to crash or at minimum - my energy levels dip. During my first W30 I never really reached the "tiger blood" phase. And really, I'd just be happy to have more consistent energy levels throughout the day. Some of it may be related to quality/quantity of sleep. The first three nights this week sleep was in short supply - two nights due to schedules, the third night due to a bout of night sweats (yes, I'm ALSO in perimenopause, so some of these symptoms could be related to that, too) that woke me up at 3:30 am, and wasn't able to fall back to sleep. Last night I slept extremely well and got a little more than 7.5 hours of sleep before I woke-up naturally. I felt "good" as I went through my morning routine to get to work, but by the time I actually arrived at work, I wasn't up to walking up the two flights of stairs to get to my office, so took the elevator. My job is sedentary - I sit at a desk most of the day - and I have to be very intentional to not allow myself to sit and stare at the computer screen all day, but to break it up with various activities that require me to move around. On Monday I managed a short run to get some exercise in, but on Wednesday I was so tired when I got home from work, and had an evening commitment, so I ended up taking a nap instead of exercising as originally planned. Right now I feel pretty good, and am hoping I'm up for a short run when I get home from work, but we have a birthday party to go to, so time between work and the party will be short, and it's my night to cook supper. I do know that I ran on short nights sleep for a couple of years up until a year ago, and have been trying for the past year to re-adjust my scheduling priorities so I can get eight hours of sleep every night - but even when enough time is allotted to get 8 hours of sleep, my body doesn't always STAY asleep. We've added a magnesium supplement to our evening dose of vitamins, and that does seem to help, but recently ran out, so I need to order more. Sorry if I'm rambling - I'm just trying to provide enough information so if anyone has ideas or sees something else that could be tried, they could suggest it. Any feedback or questions would be helpful. Thanks!

Good Morning Day 11 and 12'ers! 

I've been thinking about my Green Chili Chicken Soup recipe.  I'm just going to give you the basics because I don't follow a strict recipe.  I hope this will give you enough info that you can add or subtract to make it your own!  Please ask if something doesn't sound right or you have questions.  You really can't mess this up, unless you forget the chicken or green chili!    Enjoy!

Chicken:  Last time I cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot then de-boned after it cooled.  You can do the same thing in your pressure cooker.  You can use any pieces of chicken you like.  Find a great deal on thighs and drumsticks?  Use them!  I have even used the canned chicken when I'm in a hurry and it's yummy too!  You can shred the chicken or leave it chunky, I do chunky when I just cook up some breast meat.  The crock pot chicken tends to fall apart so its more shredded. Either way is perfect!  Be sure and throw in some seasonings while your chicken is cooking.

Broth: Again, your choice.  I use chicken or veggie. Last time I used both since I wanted to use up my 2 open containers!  You can add water if you run a bit short of stock, you should have enough other things to flavor it nicely.  Use any stock left over if you made your chicken in the crock pot or pressure cooker!

Veggies:  This is really up to you.  What do you love?  I'll add whatever sounds good that day or whatever I have on hand.  Potatoes, carrots, onions, celery.  When I'm in a hurry a bag of frozen mirepoix (celery, onion, carrot) is perfect!  Cut your veggies however you want, diced small or I usually leave chunky for more of a stew.  A can of diced tomatoes is good too, a fire roasted preferred.

Green Chili:  I always get roasted GC from Hatch, NM I like it the best!  Don't skimp here, especially if you cook a whole chicken, use a good amount.  I know, how do you measure that?  At least a can, not the baby can but don't go crazy with a huge restaurant supply can either.  Guessing the larger can might be 4-6 oz. TLAR it (that looks about right), you'll know!  Get chopped, I use a mild but medium is good too.  I don't care for really hot, I'm looking for the roasted GC flavor, not heat!  You can buy it canned or frozen.  I just picked up a frozen bag at TJ's and it was very good!  I like to keep my pantry stocked (just ran out!) with cans of the stuff, I use it in lots of things, eggs, burgers, chili, salsa!  Costco usually has a super deal, something like 6 large cans for $5 or $6.

Seasonings:  Salt, pepper, cumin, garlic (fresh preferred, powder is fine too).  I can't think of anything else but feel free to add seasonings as you like.  No fresh onions? Add onion powder. No celery? Hit it with a bit of celery salt.  Want more of a kick?  Add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne, you get the idea.

Cooking:  Once the chicken is cooked everything else just needs heated up and a little time to marry the flavors.  Want more of a thicker stew like consistency, use a little thickening agent.  I've always used arrowroot as a thickener.

Garnish or Toppings:  You either love it (my Sister!) or hate it (Me and Husband!) and that's CILANTRO!  You decide!  I put some avocado slices on top. If you like, a dollop of salsa is good too!

NOT W30 COMPLIANT...I used to add sour cream and either cheddar or hot pepper cheese.  I'm working on a compliant sour cream but didn't miss it or the cheese!  I've also made this as a cream based soup and it's fabulous but it's NOT W30 COMPLIANT, just add 1/2 and 1/2 to the stock. 

Leftovers:  If, and that's a big IF, you have leftovers I think it just gets better as everything has time to get to settled in and make friends with each other!  Freezes great too!

Let me know how you like it if you decide to make it and especially if you add or change it up!

My job is sedentary - I sit at a desk most of the day - and I have to be very intentional to not allow myself to sit and stare at the computer screen all day, but to break it up with various activities that require me to move around. 

Donna, mine too! I find that one way to kill two birds with one stone is to drink water throughout the day so I'm 'required' (!) to get up frequently to use the restroom. I'm staying hydrated and also getting some movement in on a relatively regular basis.

Donna, mine too! I find that one way to kill two birds with one stone is to drink water throughout the day so I'm 'required' (!) to get up frequently to use the restroom. I'm staying hydrated and also getting some movement in on a relatively regular basis.

Heidi, that is one of my techniques, too, to force me to get up and move. We also have a filtered hydration station that is down a long hallway from my office, so I try to take a couple of walks each day to refill my water bottle. :-)

Positives:

No real cravings

I am not starving

Challenges

Am I eating too much and I won't lose weight--what if I gain?

Felt Exhausted yesterday-fell asleep at like 6 pm-6 am!

Sooooo tired of planning and cooking and doing dishes (I know it's normal stuff to have to do but takeout pizza is easy to clean up after!)

A little tired of eggs.

I am finding this expensive--Cheerios for dinner was pretty cheap.

I miss the first gulp of sweet and creamy coffee (after that I don't care)

To end on a positive note....well, I am probably healthier...

Positives:

No real cravings

I am not starving

Challenges

Sooooo tired of planning and cooking and doing dishes (I know it's normal stuff to have to do but takeout pizza is easy to clean up after!)

A little tired of eggs.

YES. to almost every single one of these (with the exception of the no cravings things and sleeping 12 hours - though it does sound wonderful!)  

On another note, my 3 year old and I had the stomach flu last night.  Won't be having the W30 steak salad for a long while - I'll leave it at that... :blink:  My poor husband - going from room to room to help us.  It was awful, but today has been harder than I would've anticipated b/c all my go-to recovery foods (i.e. saltines, gatorade, toast, etc.) are off limits!  Meat was super unappealing as were vegetables, so when I finally did eat, it was a baked potato with some salt and pepper.  

Positives:

No real cravings

I am not starving

Challenges

A little tired of eggs.

YES. to almost every single one of these (with the exception of the no cravings things and sleeping 12 hours - though it does sound wonderful!)  

On another note, my 3 year old and I had the stomach flu last night.  Won't be having the W30 steak salad for a long while - I'll leave it at that...  :blink:  My poor husband - going from room to room to help us.  It was awful, but today has been harder than I would've anticipated b/c all my go-to recovery foods (i.e. saltines, gatorade, toast, etc.) are off limits!  Meat was super unappealing as were vegetables, so when I finally did eat, it was a baked potato with some salt and pepper.  

Positives:

No real cravings

I am not starving

Challenges

A little tired of eggs.

yes to everything-except for the coffee.  I've always drank it black, although I do enjoy the occasional latte.  Especially tired of planning, cooking and washing up.

And peppermint tea is just not the same as red wine. 

Positives:

No real cravings

I am not starving

Challenges

A little tired of eggs.

I keep worrying that I'm eating too much too but if you think about it we've gotten rid of all that junk we were eating so now it's only good calories. Like Karen said, we will lose some weight. I'm not a big fan of eggs and you don't have to eat eggs for breakfast. You can eat anything that's whole30 compliant. Of course you're healthier! We all have to keep at this and we'll be healthier! Good luck on the rest of your journey!

Wow we're almost done with day 12!!! I can't believe we're almost halfway through this journey! Except if you're going to do a whole 45 or 60 etc. I'm really considering to make this a whole 60. Is anyone else interested? Ijustdon'tknow if I do make this a whole60, then should I still weigh/measure myself on day 31? I would like to know my progress at that time but I'm worried that if I'm not satisfied what if I give up? Any suggestions?

Today was a pretty good day. Worked out in the morning. I'm getting bored of the same routine. I have to do it for 2 more days and then start another one. I hope everyone has a good weekend and peeps well for the week ahead. I've made a list of the dishes I have to make.

Take care everyone!

All righty: Just a warning: We purchased an electric guitar and amplifier for my almost 16 yo son. In about 2 days I should be officially insane!

Sarah: you are my hero of food prep!! Let us know how you like the sweet potato soup, it sounds yummy!

Donna: I'm going to give the chicken brining a go tomorrow, to be grilled on Sunday. (BIG birthday bash here!!) I know that when I buy already brined chickens they are much moister. I think it will be worth is. 

Also, on your subject of, ahem, mucous: my husband, who is along for the W30 ride, has had a lot of chest congestion since about Day 3. For him, it's very likely related to diet change as he doesn't have any allergies. It's so cool to me that by doing this, you will be able too get to the bottom of it.

I too, feel like I hit the fatigue "wall" at least once a day. But I also don't get enough sleep on a regular basis, and that my friend is a LONG story that I won't bore you with...not today anyway! Make sure you are taking magnesium citrate for sleep. Natural Calm is good and Vitacost has there own version for about half the price. Just don't get the flavored mag citrate, it has stevia.

LIEvans: I feel like I am eating a lot of food. In fact, I have been buying a ton of food, I think at some level, I'm afraid I will be caught without compliant food in the house...?

Heidi: I will keep track of my Well Fed usage and opinions thereon (a word??). Thereof?? I have Well Fed from the library and Well Fed 2 from Amazon so I should be all set. 

Today's list:

-I am away from the house all day on Fridays so I packed a lunch last night. My husband did not so I halved my food with him and was starving within about an hour. True love.

-My bloating is almost completely resolved, so no more apples for me. Today I also cut out avocado and nuts (except for dinner, see below), which also have FODMAPs but don't tend to cause me much trouble if I stick to small amounts. Tummy is much happier now. I am much happier now.

-Even while bloated, I still had that "lighter" feeling. Now, in case you DON'T know, IBS bloating is a real deal. Yep, folks! Actually, for eons, medical types thought it was all in our heads, but then someone had the brilliant idea of measuring IBS sufferers' bloated tum tums and Lo and Behold found a 4" to 5" inch increase in girth. It does not feel pleasant. My skirt was tight. I was cranky.

-dinner was AMAZING!! if I do say so myself. And... I do. Rockfish, dredged in egg then in a mixture of hazelnut meal with a good dose of Slap Yo' Mama mixed in. Pan fried in avocado oil. I ate a whole fish. I think. It's hard to tell without the head and skin, but I'm pretty sure I ate a whole fish. Add some green beans sautéed in bacon fat with bits of bacon (I truly thought I hated green beans but Here's what I'm thinking': my MIL would snap a bunch of fresh green beans, stir in some sort of pork stuff, put them on simmer on the back burner for the WHOLE ENTIRE DAY, and the end result? This is why I knew I hated green beans.). I love my W30 compliant GBs! Some leftover potatoes for the boys, and some over (no, that's not a typo) roasted broccoli, also for the boys (not great for IBS, those cruciferous types), and to top off the fish- fresh mango, tomato, red pepper salsa.

- here's another thing I'm thinkin', for the 1 or 2 that are still reading this missive: I may make Paleo a lifestyle thing. I'm liking it, mostly. I mean, if I can have quinoa once in awhile, and maybe some organic whipping cream for my blueberries...we'll see. 

Stay strong my friends!! Your journeys are so encouraging to me :)

Marci

PS: it's quiet here now, after almost 2 solid hours of over-amplified noise, I mean, music :rolleyes: But I'm not complaining... not me....

All righty: Just a warning: We purchased an electric guitar and amplifier for my almost 16 yo son. In about 2 days I should be officially insane!

Sarah: you are my hero of food prep!! Let us know how you like the sweet potato soup, it sounds yummy!

Donna: I'm going to give the chicken brining a go tomorrow, to be grilled on Sunday. (BIG birthday bash here!!) I know that when I buy already brined chickens they are much moister. I think it will be worth is.

Also, on your subject of, ahem, mucous: my husband, who is along for the W30 ride, has had a lot of chest congestion since about Day 3. For him, it's very likely related to diet change as he doesn't have any allergies. It's so cool to me that by doing this, you will be able too get to the bottom of it.

I too, feel like I hit the fatigue "wall" at least once a day. But I also don't get enough sleep on a regular basis, and that my friend is a LONG story that I won't bore you with...not today anyway! Make sure you are taking magnesium citrate for sleep. Natural Calm is good and Vitacost has there own version for about half the price. Just don't get the flavored mag citrate, it has stevia.

LIEvans: I feel like I am eating a lot of food. In fact, I have been buying a ton of food, I think at some level, I'm afraid I will be caught without compliant food in the house...?

Heidi: I will keep track of my Well Fed usage and opinions thereon (a word??). Thereof?? I have Well Fed from the library and Well Fed 2 from Amazon so I should be all set.

Today's list:

-I am away from the house all day on Fridays so I packed a lunch last night. My husband did not so I halved my food with him and was starving within about an hour. True love.

-My bloating is almost completely resolved, so no more apples for me. Today I also cut out avocado and nuts (except for dinner, see below), which also have FODMAPs but don't tend to cause me much trouble if I stick to small amounts. Tummy is much happier now. I am much happier now.

-Even while bloated, I still had that "lighter" feeling. Now, in case you DON'T know, IBS bloating is a real deal. Yep, folks! Actually, for eons, medical types thought it was all in our heads, but then someone had the brilliant idea of measuring IBS sufferers' bloated tum tums and Lo and Behold found a 4" to 5" inch increase in girth. It does not feel pleasant. My skirt was tight. I was cranky.

-dinner was AMAZING!! if I do say so myself. And... I do. Rockfish, dredged in egg then in a mixture of hazelnut meal with a good dose of Slap Yo' Mama mixed in. Pan fried in avocado oil. I ate a whole fish. I think. It's hard to tell without the head and skin, but I'm pretty sure I ate a whole fish. Add some green beans sautéed in bacon fat with bits of bacon (I truly thought I hated green beans but Here's what I'm thinking': my MIL would snap a bunch of fresh green beans, stir in some sort of pork stuff, put them on simmer on the back burner for the WHOLE ENTIRE DAY, and the end result? This is why I knew I hated green beans.). I love my W30 compliant GBs! Some leftover potatoes for the boys, and some over (no, that's not a typo) roasted broccoli, also for the boys (not great for IBS, those cruciferous types), and to top off the fish- fresh mango, tomato, red pepper salsa.

- here's another thing I'm thinkin', for the 1 or 2 that are still reading this missive: I may make Paleo a lifestyle thing. I'm liking it, mostly. I mean, if I can have quinoa once in awhile, and maybe some organic whipping cream for my blueberries...we'll see.

Stay strong my friends!! Your journeys are so encouraging to me :)

Marci

PS: it's quiet here now, after almost 2 solid hours of over-amplified noise, I mean, music :rolleyes: But I'm not complaining... not me....

I am totally feeling like I am eating a ton of food! And my grocery hauls are super grande! I buy...all the food. And for the most part, I eat it. I am kind of proud that the massive amounts of vegetables I buy don't rot. This is a first for me, ha. Yesterday I was thinking about all the vegetables I've been eating. This week, among other veggies, of course, I've eaten an entire head of cauliflower, another entire bag of mixed greens from Costco, and an entire spaghetti squash! Love this.

I am totally thinking of 'going Paleo' too, Marci. I would love a little more flexibility than what we currently have, but to stay as close to whole eating as possible. I also just love thinking about the actual Paleolithic era and all that goes with it!

Oh and PS: Well Fed is now ready for me at the library! So excited - running over to pick it up today!

Happy Saturday!

A few things I've noticed:

-My skin, while not necessarily more even toned (I imagine tackling inflammation takes a while) does seem brighter. I feel as though I look a bit more lively than usual. Maybe because I feel a bit more lively!

-Put a pair of pants on to go out last night and they we're definitely looser. I'm not in this for weight loss but have definitely experienced a small change, it seems. And this is during PMS! Pants fitting better is not a typical finding during this time :)

-My brain fog has lifted/thoughts are more clear. I noticed the other day that over the course of the day, I used three words that I don't typically use - like my vocabulary expanded! LOL! Random finding but I totally noticed it.

Ok so yesterday I totally ate too much. The PMS monster did take me, after all, though a) not as bad as usual and B) I certainly curbed it and I'm sure eating the way I'm eating makes a huge difference. That said, I still ate more than I probably should have. We went to dinner and when we got home I ate a small

meal, which I don't know - I feel like I didn't need as much as I told myself I needed (my dinner was very small). Side note though: I did fine at dinner. Stuck with my plan for sashimi and brought my coconut aminos - even shared them with one of my sisters who I sat next to. Both sisters have Celiac, so they also ordered sushi/sashimi and one brought her own soy sauce (most restaurant soy sauce has gluten in it-so my aminos didn't stand out at all).

Today is a new day though and we'll be busy so I'll be in better shape to eat my proper meals/amount today.

Planning and shopping for the week today!

PS: My boyfriend had steak last night, which is super rare for him/us, and it looked so good! I'm totally buying a steak for myself to throw on the grill...

Hi folks:

I've been following your thread for about a week here and there as I find it helpful to see where I've been. I also take a look at forums that are further along than me to see how those folks are faring.

I'm currently on Day 20 (2/3 of the way to my first W30) and have to say, I felt EXCATLY like many of you felt during the middle of the program which is where you are now... ie., shopping and cooking a TON... cleaning more dishes at every meal than I've ever done in my life to the point where I refuse to get a mani. Not sure I was feeling any weight loss... wanting to step on the scale, questioning the benefits of where I was... great parts.. no cravings AT ALL,.

Some thing to look forward too folks..... as of a few days ago in addition to all the other positive things that are happening, this program became EFFORTLESS. Seriously.... now I just feel like I'm eating excellent, healthy foods. I'm still counting done the days, but it truly is amazing when the mind changes.

I was also diagnosed with pneumonia this week and had to start taking the prednisone/steroids, inhalers, and very strong antibiotics. All I can keep thinking about is how much worse I would feel if I was eating processed foods and sugars. While I do have to give my body time to heal properly, I know that I'm helping it with this healthy food plan.

So.. in closing, I just wanted to say WELCOME TO YOU DAY 13 !!! This group is going through exactly what many of us have gone through.

Good luck all.

p.s. I am thinking of moving on to a W60. I know some folks on this thread are thinking about it too. As I get close to completing the W30 I'll post something to see if anyone wants to join in. Even though we wont' be on the exact same day, i'm sure it's fine :).

I did my grocery run super early this morning and was armed with my list. My stops were Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. When I was at WF at the meat counter, I asked if the Wellshire bacon they had in the case was sugar free and she said no. She asked if I was doing Whole30 and I told her that I am. She suggested that I look into Well Fed because she had tried most of the recipes and they were amazing. I picked up a jar of Tessemae mayo. It's not as thick as regular mayo but the taste is pretty much the same so I made tuna for lunch today.

I have the following recipes to try for the week.

- slow cooker carnitas

- Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy

- slow cooker beef and veggie stew

- chicken cacciatore

I realized that I'm spending more than usual lately because we ate out so much before Whole30.

Good Morning / Afternoon Day 12 and 13'ers!

Khughes17

Your menu sounds yummy!  I have spent a LOT at the grocery store. BUT we would eat out at least 4 times a week and sometimes much more.  Because of the lifestyle (I consider our work a lifestyle) we work and live it is always easier to eat out.  After we've been on the road for 3 to 6 or 9 days the last thing we want to do is cook, so fast food on the way home it is!  Our monthly bill for dining out is probably in the $600- $800 range.  I know!!!  So while I'm spending a lot at the store, I consider what that steak or burger would have cost out, plus now I have leftovers for another entire meal!  Our total food cost is down.  We are eating healthier too!

bebeaccia

Thanks for stopping by with a sneak peek of what's ahead!  I know others have struggled a bit, doubted, questioned, etc.  It took me 6 months to decide to do this and only after I talked to 2 other Flight Attendants that were doing it.  If they could pack their food bag and leave home for 3 days well so could I!

I have been off work during this past 13 days so I may have an advantage, don't know but that's why I chose to start then! I have found it to be effortless as well.

A little prep goes a long way in making sure there is food readily available on those days that get crazy busy!  My M-I-L has some dementia and often I am running over to check on her or driving her to Dr. appts. 2-3 times a day.

Please stop by again and update on how you are doing.  Thanks again and feel better soon!

Everyone

Things are going well!  Clothes are fitting better! 

Had my second weird food dream last nite.  There was a glass of coke sitting in front of me.  I was upset saying I only took a couple of sips, maybe 2 ozs!  I'm gonna have to start over!  I think it might have been because my husband asked me what he was going to eat when he went back to work.  He will go back on Day 26.  I can pack a few things for him but since he works international he has to throw certain food out before going through customs.  We came up with some ideas but I told him he'll just have to do the best he can. He knows what's in and what's not.

Warning TMI: still not pooping well! :(  Anyone else or is it just me?  Suggestions? I don't think I could get any more fiber or water than I already am but will try!

Have a super weekend!!!  :D 

Man, am I having a tough time right now. I know it's because of PMS, I really do - it is giving me quite the mental run around! I wanted to throw in the towel a million different times today, but I didn't! Instead, I noted the benefits I'm already seeing and just hung in there. We went food shopping today, so buying some good stuff for the week was fun, and I even got a few things that I haven't had before, like hearts of palm (on my dinner salad) and jicama sticks. New foods gives me something to 'look forward to' and keeps things a little exciting.

I also gave myself a few non-food treats today: a walk through the awesome little art gallery at the library (we have a wonderful library in town!), 3 new library books, including Well Fed, and a new face wash and face lotion from a store I like but only treat myself to once in a while. Oh and I did buy two new herbal teas from a brand I discovered (at Home Goods!) and love: Choice Organic Wellness Teas. Um, yum! Enjoying a cup of ginger turmeric right now (called 'Easy Digest').

It was hard to walk through the grocery store today and see the non compliant treats, and it's hard to have chocolate in the house (my boyfriends stash).

I'll make it!l though. Once I get over the PMS hump I'll be fine, so I'm just hanging in! Also, my symptoms aside from the cravings are really not bad this month, which is pretty awesome. A little teary the other day over something stupid, tired in general, and a mild version of the PMS headache I usually get - all things I can handle and would totally choose over the raging symptoms I typically get.

Good to hear everyone else's goings ons! I too am spending $$$ but I'm okay with it since this is only a month program (though I hope to eat this way for the most part long after this) and I do feel better already. :)

Archived