Picklepolka's Whole30 Log

picklepolkas

so i'm sitting here surrounded by the carnage of my latest candy binge. i don't even like dove chocolate hearts that much, but i had them, so i ate them. a lot of them. the growing pile  mountain of wrappers has finally convinced me to bite the bullet and dive in to the second whole30 attempt i've been contemplating for the last couple of weeks. so today is day 0. 

i tried once before and was undone around day 21 (i know, seriously, so close) by an out-of-town bridal shower.  :rolleyes:  I felt great while i was doing it, though, but have since let sugar (and other things...looking at you, diet pepsi) back into my life in a big way.   i'm hoping that this log will introduce some much needed accountability to my whole30 this time around. 

off to chop some vegetables for a crockpot roast and cross my fingers that Emily, Twin doesn't get the rose tonight! 

Day 1:  I regret that last post for 2 reasons: 

1) ben sent emily, twin home as she was mid-gush about how happy she was and it was SO COLD. so i felt bad for writing that i hoped she didn't get the rose; and 

2) turns out I've named my log "0 days and counting" - I thought i was naming the post not the topic of the log. sometimes it's hard to be this good at the internet, really.   B) (if anyone has pity on me and knows how to change it, i would be forever grateful for your wisdom...)

Also the Day 0 e-mail i received last night told me to set goals, so here they are: 

- food free room (well, half of room. i have an apartment. no food eating on the couch in front of tv)

- no eating after 9. binge eating sugar and carbs in front of my tv at night is my greatest weakness. 

- exercise 5-6 days a week 

Breakfast: 

- 2 scrambled eggs, with spinach and cherry tomatoes and 1/2 avocado

Lunch: 

- Salad bar wares: dark green and purple leaves with grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, dressing of olive oil and vinegar. also some strawberries and grapes 

Dinner:

- Side salad of kale, 1/2 avocado, dressing of olive oil & balsamic vinegar

- Roast (CROCKPOT FTW) - Beef, carrots, potatoes, onions

- Apple 

Post workout meal 

- some leftover roast 

Day 2: Feeling mostly fine. Fatigued, but no more than usual. Started to have some sugar cravings in the afternoon, but so far so good in the after dinner hours today, so that's a positive. 

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado, spinach, cherry tomatoes

2 cups of black coffee before breakfast

Lunch: Leftover roast (beef, carrots, potatoes) and apple (I realize upon writing this out that I missed adding a fat to this...hm.)

Dinner: Side salad of kale with olive oil & basalmic vinegar dressing & "Spaghetti squash carbonara" : spaghetti squash, bacon, "carbonara sauce" of 2 whipped eggs with salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar

• Moderators

That would be awesome, thanks! just switching it to "Picklepolka's Whole30 Log" would be great. 

All done!

Just a side note, if eggs are your only protein source, the serving size is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hands, probably at least three to four for most people, maybe more. Feel free to mix it up with some other protein if you don't want that many eggs at once, but over time if you consistently aren't getting enough, you'll find yourself feeling tired, not recovering from workouts well, or just not feeling like you're able to do all the things you want to do with your time.  Whole30 isn't a typical diet plan -- we really want you to be sure you're eating enough to nourish and fuel your body. And if you're finding you can't eat much at breakfast, move the coffee to after breakfast, it's an appetite suppressant.

Day 3: Woke up very sleepy. Not necessarily fatigued, but sleepy, even though I'd had almost 9 hours of sleep. eating the post workout meal was sort of struggle bc i was not hungry. 

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs (which tomorrow will be 3!), 1/2 avocado, spinach, tomatoes 

1 black coffee 

Lunch: Roast (beef carrots potatoes), apple + cashew butter 

Dinner: planned to come home and cook, but ended up staying late and work and not having time to cook, eat AND digest before workout class so went with leftover spaghetti squash carbonara, plus kale side salad with 1/2 avocado, olive oil & balsamic. was still hungry (probably bc lack of protein) so i had an apple plus cashew butter as well. 

Post WO Meal: leftover roast (beef, carrots, potatoes) but it was mostly carrots left at this point so another Protein Problem. 

The good news is the roast is finally finished off! 

Exercise: Barre on Tuesday, sad face on Wednesday, Cardio class today

I recognize today was a bit of a protein fail, due mostly to running out of prepared foods. this should not be a problem to improve bc i love eggs and meat. could srsly never be vegetarian. tomorrow will be better! am getting to work on my crockpot game now. 

day 4: rough. so sleepy after lunch. craving candy all afternoon and evening. feeling blah. 

breakfast: 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, tomatoes, spinach

2 black coffees between breakfast & lunch

lunch: jimmy john's "unwich": turkey & salami, avocado spread, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and a pickle. not enough protein for sure, but it's the best i could do with our lunch order out. 

snack: the unwich gave out around 4, so i snacked on some emergency cashews. 

dinner: failed crockpot curry, but it was edible: chicken, red & yellow bell peppers, asparagus, onions. coconut milk in the curry sauce.  apple & cashew butter. 

day 5: started off well, but then i tried to go running and it was rough. i felt ...sleepy? like i didn't have enough oxygen. i ran a half-marathon less than 2 weeks ago so my muscles were fine and i wasn't out of breath, but i couldn't go more than 2 miles. kind of confused since i even ate a starchy food (sweet potatoes) for breakfast. hope this is just a week 1 thing that passes quickly. 

breakfast: sweet potato, 2 eggs, 2 chicken sausages, 1/2 avocado. 

2 black coffees (after breakfast)

lunch: leftovers from breakfast, and some leftovers from dinner last night. added in a kale side salad with 1/2 avocado & olive oil & balsamic.

snack: apple + cashew butter

dinner: steak fajitas (steak strips, bell peppers, onions) w/ guacamole, grapes  

had to go to bed last night so i didn't get to post but here is

day 6: sleepy.

breakfast: sweet potato, guacamole, 2 eggs, 2 chicken sausages, raspberries

lunch: steak fajitas w/ guacamole, raspberries

dinner: pulled pork made with onions & squeezed oranges (CROCKPOT!), asparagus, cucumber slices, apple + cashew butter

day 7: seemed to have skipped the kill all things phase completely and skipped right to the pants are tighter phase :( but on the upside hopefully that means i can move past that quicker! woke up today fairly easily and had good energy all day. unfortunately had to go to a late work dinner so had to improvise with a cashew larabar as a pre dinner snack, but on the upside choosing from the restaurant menu did let me try a shiny new veggie for the first time: brussel sprouts! not bad!

breakfast: 3 eggs, spinach, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, banana

lunch: fajitas, salsa, guacamole (catered lunch, had to work with what i had :/ )

snack: larabar (cashew cookie flavor)

dinner: chicken, potatoes, brussel sprouts 

day 8: more trouble on the running front. just feel exhausted and depleted when i'm trying to run. ran 3 miles but had to stop a number of times to collect myself. but i've found some tips in the forums that i'll try out - more water, magnesium supplements. i really cant imagine i'm under salting my food bc i <3 salt, but i'll watch that too. 

on the other hand, feeling remarkably balanced throughout the day and especially in the evening. haven't been feeling like all i can do is just lay on the couch when i get back from work, or compelled to binge eat at night. 

breakfast: 3 eggs, spinach, tomatoes,1/2 avocado. added in some salted cucumber slices. 

2 black coffees

lunch: salad (with cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers), meatballs, some grapes and strawberries. not ideal, but i had to pick at the whole30 compliant options from a catered lunch.  :unsure:

iced tea (nothing added). 

dinner: curry -- chicken, red & yellow bell peppers, broccoli, snow peas, coconut milk 

snack: hour after dinner, was still hungry so i had an apple and cashew butter. 

day 9: 

breakfast: 3 eggs, tomatoes, spinach, 1/2 avocado

lunch: pulled pork, asparagus, apple + cashew butter

snack: cashew larabar

dinner: chicken curry (incl. broccoli, snow peas, red & yellow bell peppers), apple + cashew butter, grapes

day 10: 

breakfast: 3 eggs, spinach, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado 

lunch: chicken curry 

dinner: chicken curry, kale salad, 1/2 avocado 

Archived