Juliet's food log

jking428

Day 20

Breakfast

Leftover lamb curry (1/4 cup)

1 seed cracker + 1 tablespoon macadamia butter

Lunch (birthday BBQ)

1 chicken kebab

baby carrots (1 cup) + guacamole (1/4 cup)

sweet potato + butternut crisps (1 cup) - I know this is far too many!!

1 wedge watermelon

Dinner (still at birthday BBQ)

2 beef sausages

1/2 cup homemade tomato & onion sauce

Day 21

Breakfast

4 strips rump steak

1 tablespoon tahini

1/3 cup roasted sweet potato

Lunch

4 strips rump steak

1 cup salad leaves

1/3 cup roasted sweet potato

5 olives

roasted peppers

cucumber

1/4 avocado

1 tablespoon toasted almond flakes

lemon juice + olive oil dressing

Snack

3 tablespoons macadamia butter

Dinner

2 slices pork belly

1/2 cup cauliflower mash

1/4 cup roasted carrots

1 cup salad leaves

roasted peppers, roasted tomatoes (1/4 cup total)

1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts

5 olives

1/4 avocado

lemon juice + olive oil dressing

1 slice pineapple

Day 22

Breakfast

1 slice pork belly

1/4 cup cauliflower puree

1/4 cup roasted carrots

2 x green tea

1 x black coffee

Lunch

Rump steak (slightly smaller than palm)

Salad greens (1 cup)

5 olives

1 tablespoon tahini

roasted peppers + roasted carrots (1/2 cup total)

1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts

Snack (pre W/O)

1/3 banana + 1 tablespoon macadamia butter

Dinner

4 beef meatballs

1/2 cup homemade tomato 'pasta' sauce

1 cup grated courgette

2 slices steamed butternut

small handful blueberries

Day 23

Breakfast

1 slice pork belly

cauliflower puree and roasted carrots (1/4 cup total)

1/3 banana + 1 tablespoon macadamia butter

1 x green tea

1 x black coffee

Lunch

3 meatballs + homemade 'pasta' sauce

1 cup grated courgette

1.5 slice steamed butternut

Hey Juliet

I don't think you're eating nearly enough. And if you're concerned about stalled weight-loss then this is most definitely contributing to your problem. Under-eating is counter productive as it causes your metabolism to slow down so as to conserve energy & not waste the small amount of fuel you are providing in the form of food. 

The meal template is the absolute minimum amount of food you should be eating (and it's actually okay to eat MORE), and you are short changing yourself at EVERY meal - and the fact you need to snack only confirms this.

For every meal aim for AT LEAST one palm sized piece of protein, 1-3 cups of veg - with THREE being OPTIMUM, and a generous serving fat. Build your meals to keep you full for 4-5hrs because it's after this window that the magic starts to happen & your body starts to turn to fat stores for fuel. This will not happen if you are always 'topping up'.

Consider that salad greens reduce down considerably when chewed so you need to be eating a TON of those for it to be considered enough... Unless your meatballs are HUGE I'd be aiming around 5-6... A serving of olives would be a heaped handful - not 5.... a half an avocado would be a better starting point.... Ditch the fruit & nut butter snacks, increase the size of your meals in general... Opt for superior fat sources like home made mayo, avocado, ghee, coconut milk/cream for improved satiety and to help move away from that 'snack' mentality... 

Also, for pre WO meals stick to lean protein & fat - not fruit which will provide an immediate energy supply for your body to burn - and don't forget the (arguably) more important post WO meal of a lean protein & optional starchy carb.

Honestly, eat more, lots, LOTS more.

As an aside any type of cracker (even if made from compliant ingredients) would be off limits during your Whole30.

I hope this helps.

Hi there, thanks for the feedback.

I hear what you're saying but as I just posted in another forum, I feel full and satisfied after each meal and I think I would struggle to put any more food on my plate in one sitting. After meals, I am full for several hours but I tend to get peckish about 4-5 hours after lunch. (I usually eat lunch at 1 and dinner at 7/8 so I find that gap a bit challenging). That's where the snacking comes in which I know is not ideal for a Whole30, especially nuts/nut butter and fruit as I have been eating.

Thanks for the info on fats, I will start adding more good fats to my diet in the hopes of increasing satiety for a longer period of time.

I do think that I'm eating less veg than I have done in previous W30s, so I will try to increase the amount from now.

My track record with WO meals isn't great - I don't often eat before exercise as it tends to make me feel a bit sick (although sometimes I have some fruit or nuts although I see what you are saying about my body using the fruit as energy for the WO) and after WO, it is usually breakfast or dinner time so I don't have a separate WO meal, I just eat the breakfast or dinner I was planning to eat anyway.

Anyway, thanks a mil for your advice. I really will try to implement your suggestions, starting with lots more veg and fats. Do you have any advice on the best veg to eat? Currently I eat lots of cauliflower, aubergine, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes and then lots of salady veg (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, red peppers, cucumbers etc). I wonder if I am eating too much sweet potato? Usually about 1/2 sweet potato 4-5 times a week.  

Hey juliet - how are you getting on?

With regard to your veg query a half a sweet potato 4-5 times a week is fine  - we'd recommend a fist sized serving of a starchy veg daily so you're probably a little under that with the type of veg you're eating. Maybe add in some parsnips, turnip, beetroot, or plaintains for instance.

My advice would be to try & eat as large a selection as possible so that you get a wide variety of nutrients, and to always aim for the upper end of the template as far as veg is concerned - the fibre they provide gives you that nice full feelig.

Skip the preWO if you can't stomach it, but do try and include a postWO meal of a lean protein & optional starchy carb. You'll find your recovery time slower without it - your muscles will be crying out for the protein for recovery & repair.

Archived