Whole 30 Timeline - How Others Are Doing

Glassmate

Hello, I started the Whole30 program on February 1 with a friend.  We have been doing really well, but I noticed that we are having different experiences with the Whole30 timeline with regard to how we are responding.  She seems to be on track, where I'm not quite there yet.  I know that everyone is different and will respond to the program at different rates, but I was curious how others are doing.

For example, I was pretty much on target for the first two weeks, but the third week I'm not feeling the boost in energy and mood as much as I thought I would.  Although I have definitely noticed some improvements (i.e., no more heartburn, fasting blood sugars going down, vision sharper),  I feel like I'm lagging behind my friend in a variety of areas (clothes aren't noticeably looser, hands and fee still swollen, sleep not improving, etc.). I am also feeling a bit depressed about my cooking (I'm not a natural cook).  The recipe never seems to taste as good as it looks/sounds in the cookbook.  

Anyone else having these experiences?

• Moderators

Yes, like Susan said above, don't compare yourself to anyone else, just compare you pre-Whole30 to you today and celebrate your improvements.

During my first Whole30 I was convinced I was gaining weight the whole time, right up to the very last few days, but did end up losing. Everyone is different, and if you have underlying health conditions, or years and years of unhealthy habits, or you're not sleeping well, or your friend is exercising more or less than you are, or you're more stressed than she is, or you're older than she is, or whatever other differences there are. There are always people who don't match up to the timeline. Some don't experience the yucky part at the beginning, many never feel the "tiger blood" they're wanting (not realizing that that term is misleading, and for many people, it's not a sudden burst of energy or feeling like you can take over the world, for many people it's just not needing a nap or a 3 pm coffee break to get through the day, or having steadier moods, or actually going home after work and having energy to clean or play with the kids or take the dog for a walk instead of just plopping down on the couch to stare at the tv until bedtime). 

If you're really concerned, I'd encourage you to list a couple of days' worth of food (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, and sleep, and we can see if anything stands out that might improve things for you.

Yes, like Susan said above, don't compare yourself to anyone else, just compare you pre-Whole30 to you today and celebrate your improvements.

During my first Whole30 I was convinced I was gaining weight the whole time, right up to the very last few days, but did end up losing. Everyone is different, and if you have underlying health conditions, or years and years of unhealthy habits, or you're not sleeping well, or your friend is exercising more or less than you are, or you're more stressed than she is, or you're older than she is, or whatever other differences there are. There are always people who don't match up to the timeline. Some don't experience the yucky part at the beginning, many never feel the "tiger blood" they're wanting (not realizing that that term is misleading, and for many people, it's not a sudden burst of energy or feeling like you can take over the world, for many people it's just not needing a nap or a 3 pm coffee break to get through the day, or having steadier moods, or actually going home after work and having energy to clean or play with the kids or take the dog for a walk instead of just plopping down on the couch to stare at the tv until bedtime). 

If you're really concerned, I'd encourage you to list a couple of days' worth of food (including approximate portion sizes), water intake, exercise, and sleep, and we can see if anything stands out that might improve things for you.

Thanks, Shannon.  I know people respond differently, just wanted to see if anyone else was feeling the same.  I'm committed to finishing my first Whole30 and plan to continue.  I do feel better after only a few weeks, so I'm confident the next few weeks will see more improvements.

Archived