Doe's Whole90 Adventure

doedoechachacha

Hi!

I am starting my Whole90 on March 1, 2016.  I did the Whole30 for January on a friend's recommendation.  And while I saw results (less bloated, clarity of mind, CLEAR skin, etc.), I detested it with all my heart.  I felt like I was overconsuming on meat (in which I actually felt my waist size increased), and as soon as the Whole30 was done, I went straight to binge on paleo breads, cakes, snacks.  I think overconsumption is still something I struggle with.  I don't know what it is about meat, but it just makes me want more and more of it.  I used to have a predominantly vegan diet because of this uncontrollable eating.  It made me super thin, but I also felt that I was catching colds quite often.  Probably related, but I was also struggling with ADD.  

And because of all the research of brain issues (epilepsy, ADD, autism, etc.), and recommendations by various sources for individuals with such issues to change to a paleo diet or attain ketosis; I know I should incorporate meats back into my diet.  But I'm truly struggling, and more than just the weight, it's the loss of control when I'm eating delicious food... And all the excessive time I obsess on what I should be eating next.

This time around I want to:

• Follow the portion guidance for meat and pre-wo / post-wo training
  • Try to stick to 3-4 meals per day w/o snacking
  • Stick to lean meats
  • Significantly less fruit.. to 1-2 a day as recommended
  • Stop spending too much time about recipes, and just focus on getting the nutrition / variety

Crossing fingers that my cravings and perception of food can be improved this time around!

Cheers,

Doe

Hi, Doe. Here's wishing you luck on your Whole 90. I'm just into the start of my whole 30. I'm intrigued with your comment about the brain issues. I have a daughter with epilepsy. Would you know where to direct me to study up on that? The brain is such a fascinating thing. Personally I truly struggle with the meat. It's REALLY hard for me to get it down. I certainly haven't been hungry these 4 days, though.

Hi, Doe. Here's wishing you luck on your Whole 90. I'm just into the start of my whole 30. I'm intrigued with your comment about the brain issues. I have a daughter with epilepsy. Would you know where to direct me to study up on that? The brain is such a fascinating thing. Personally I truly struggle with the meat. It's REALLY hard for me to get it down. I certainly haven't been hungry these 4 days, though.

Thank you so much!!  Good luck on your Whole30!!!  Not sure if you follow the Whole30 on Instagram, but they have some delicious recipes out there: https://www.instagram.com/whole30recipes/   Hopefully you can find that helpful in incorporating some meats.  Also, I use Sunbasket which the meats are all responsibly sourced / organic / etc, and delicious: http://sunbasket.com/  

I believe when the body achieves "ketosis," it helps with epilepsy.  I'm no doctor, and these are not actual research papers, but here you go!  I hope that helps!!!!:

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/ketogenic-diet

https://www.charliefoundation.org/explore-ketogenic-diet/explore-1/introducing-the-diet

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21Epilepsy-t.html?_r=0

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/autism-and-ketogenic-diets(Autism)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4074854/ (This is a research paper if you want to get technical!  This is for autism though)

http://www.autismkey.com/foods-for-thougt-an-insight-into-special-diets/ (Autism) 

Day 0 (Day before first day!!!)

1. Wow, I am so surprised people actually read this thing!!

2. Splurged this weekend on a snowboarding trip: lots of alcohol, Oreos, pizza, chips, etc.  One night I felt like throwing up because I over ate so much pizza.  It's been too long. :(  Today had 3 donuts and yes, I feel gross, and sick.  I'm on a sugar high right now from the donuts and am dreading the crazy drop bound to happen anytime now.  This weekend was the first time I realized I clearly have an binge eating issue here.  Food gives me so much anxiety.  Did some research and contemplated if I should continue my Whole90 plan and decided to still give it a go.  Food, although enjoyable, should be fuel for the body, and not for my emotions!!!  I am praying I can make my eating a healthy habit, and not rely on the healthy-binge-workout cycle I've been doing for the last 5 years (which has kept me looking good, but still a slave to my 'sugar / fast food dragon').  

3. Found a great pre-workout, post-workout snack: jerky.  Honestly, can't do Rxbars because of too much egg whites (histamine intolerance), other bars are too sweet so I end up eating it for fun, and I'm trying to consume less nuts.  However, I went to a famous jerky shop in Bishop, CA yesterday, only to find 99% of the jerkies with soy sauce, sugar, or MSG. Today at Sprouts, ALL the jerkies have sugar (some "organic sugar cane").  As an aside though, I did buy some of the 1% of jerky to eat and found that it is so lean, doesn't release my meat monster, easy to transport for quick hit of protein, and satiating.  

T-Minus 9.5 hours!!!

Doe--thanks so much for the links. Hey, do they still have Schat's bakery in Bishop? That was the best place--I was so happy when they started one in Carson City. It's probably a GOOD thing I don't live in Carson anymore. I'm pretty sure NONE of it was Whole30 compliant!  :)

Doe--thanks so much for the links. Hey, do they still have Schat's bakery in Bishop? That was the best place--I was so happy when they started one in Carson City. It's probably a GOOD thing I don't live in Carson anymore. I'm pretty sure NONE of it was Whole30 compliant!  :)

Yes!!  They do, and I had their delicious pastrami sandwich over the weekend before my Whole90.  Omg, it was amazing... It took all of me not to buy a bunch of bread at their store (although I did go for 2nds and 3rds on all of their samples)!!

Day 1 - Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom

Pre-WO Food: Jerky

Early morning workout: Slow-paced run for 90 minutes

Meal #1: Steak + LOTS of veggies + salad + half grapefruit

Meal #2: Soft-boiled egg + salad + half grapefruit

Meal #3: Chicken + veggies + salad + almond butter (was still so hungry)

Meal #4: Korean sprout soup + side veggies

In-Between Somewhere: banana + dried figs + dates

Evening workout: Spin class

Post-WO Food: Jerky + banana + dates

I feel like I'm eating ALL the time.  Okay, I shouldn't have succumbed to the "In-between somewhere" snacks.... And so much fruit. Dammit!  Old habits are hard to break.  I know that it's whenever I'm a bit stressed out that I become paralyzed and the only thing I know how to do is eat.  Cook & eat.  Cook, eat, workout.  Those are the only things in life I seem to progress in.  It's frustrating.  I end up with literally a sink full of dishes to do by the end of the day.  I feel like my day's flown by and I wander what I've done all day long.

As an aside, feeling full effects of the poor eating the last few days: puffy face, frequent farting, CRAZY indigestion (was in pain last night / this morning), etc.  Those damn processed flour.  I was burping up the donut from yesterday during my run - that's how I know it was the culprit.  Also, crazy histamine flare-up from inconsistent sleep over the weekend (from the alcohol), and of course all the crap I've been eating.  I don't think the jerky helps either, but I would normally be able to handle it if it weren't for the compounded affect of everything else.  I hope I learn.   :(  This is why I must document the consequences of my binge eating.

Day 2 - Finding Balance 

Morning Snack: Banana + Coffee  (Was busy w/work and didn't have time!)

Meal #1: Chicken + veggies + salad

Meal #2: Korean sprout soup + side veggies + half grapefruit

Snack: Lots of dried figs

Meal #3: Chicken + veggies

Snack: Carrots + almond butter

Wow, 3 snacks!!  Dried figs were definitely unnecessary and only because I was stressing from work.  I'm quite proud of myself though as I feel like for the first time my insulin levels are finally returning to normal and I'm not struggling as much as I normally would (note that I had been on Whole30 in Jan).  I'm not sure if it's because I'm mentally prepared to be in the long haul; or if it's because my levels are really normalizing.   No, I think it's normalizing because in January, I was still binging on Whole30 compliant meals.  

Today, I was also crazy busy today with work, and found that I didn't snack or crave as much as I used to (even though it's still a lot now, lol).  I think a lot of the anxiety and depression I experienced in 2015 destroyed my body, including my self-image.  For the first time in a long time, I've been letting go of the high standards for my body and have just been focusing on being healthy and sustaining good energy.  I have also been trying to transition out of a career of 7 years which has been really stressful.  The end is really near in that respect (like... tomorrow!!!), and I know that it will help refocus my obsession with food.

Finally, I learned that trying to do too much too soon sets me up for failure.  I was trying to workout a lot to return to my hot 2014 body, do paleo, transition in my career, cut shopping, budget tightly for groceries, etc etc... It's been too much.  And the stress took its toll on food.  And the food added to my anxiety because I was feeling guilty all the time over what I was eating.  And I'd spend too much time researching on healthy recipes and paleo vs. vegan (since I used to be so thin eating vegan).

Anyway, it's freeing, to finally let go.  I let go of my grocery budget and just bought whatever I wanted.  This has helped me snack a lot less cause I have so many fresh delicious options!  I let go of my body image.  No more guilt, disdain, anxiety.  I just want to have energy, and feel great, and be clear minded - if that means following a Whole90 then I am excited to do it. 

Tonight will be another late night as I wrap up this project... Wish me luck!

Day 3 - Lessons Learned

Morning Snack: Jerky

Meal #1: Chicken + Veggies + Kiwi Berries + 1/2 Blood Orange

Meal #2: Jackfruit "Tacos" + Dried Figs

Snack: 1 Dried Fig + Coffee

Workout: 40min Slow-Run + 40-min Threshold Hills

Post-WO: Jerky

Meal #3: Korean Sprout Soup + Yam "Noodles" + 1/2 Grapefruit

Lessons:

• Need to work on cutting sugars, especially before workouts.  Have been feeling a crash during workouts more than once now.  
  • Yam is not a yummy "noodle."  Best to stick with zucchini... May try sweet potato next time.
  • Sleeping late = no true rest = crazy histamine levels = allergies = fatigue = sugar cravings
  • Gotta be careful of nitrates.  Eating foods high in Vitamin C would help.
  • Jackfruit "meat" is da bomb dot com!!

Thank you so much!!  Good luck on your Whole30!!!  Not sure if you follow the Whole30 on Instagram, but they have some delicious recipes out there: https://www.instagram.com/whole30recipes/   Hopefully you can find that helpful in incorporating some meats.  Also, I use Sunbasket which the meats are all responsibly sourced / organic / etc, and delicious: http://sunbasket.com/

I believe when the body achieves "ketosis," it helps with epilepsy.  I'm no doctor, and these are not actual research papers, but here you go!  I hope that helps!!!!:

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/ketogenic-diet

https://www.charliefoundation.org/explore-ketogenic-diet/explore-1/introducing-the-diet

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21Epilepsy-t.html?_r=0

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/autism-and-ketogenic-diets(Autism)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4074854/ (This is a research paper if you want to get technical!  This is for autism though)

http://www.autismkey.com/foods-for-thougt-an-insight-into-special-diets/ (Autism) 

Actually Wholoe30 is not designed as a ketogenic diet. It is lower carb than the standard SAD, but unless you are composing your meals with ketosis in mind it is unlikely to happen, particularly if you're eating dried figs & dates (& even bananas) on a daily basis.

Try making your meals a but bigger then you won;t have to rely on snack foods so much.

That said our recommendation would always be to complete at least one Whole30 by the book before you start trying to hack the process further.

It's very early days for you yet but the crash you're feeling during your workouts is because your body is using the sugar you're topping up on as fuel rather than having to tap into your fat stores - try switching to protein & fat & see if that helps, although don't be surprised if you don't see much improvement on this front until around 14 days in.

Hope this helps  :)

Actually Wholoe30 is not designed as a ketogenic diet. It is lower carb than the standard SAD, but unless you are composing your meals with ketosis in mind it is unlikely to happen, particularly if you're eating dried figs & dates (& even bananas) on a daily basis.

Try making your meals a but bigger then you won;t have to rely on snack foods so much.

That said our recommendation would always be to complete at least one Whole30 by the book before you start trying to hack the process further.

It's very early days for you yet but the crash you're feeling during your workouts is because your body is using the sugar you're topping up on as fuel rather than having to tap into your fat stores - try switching to protein & fat & see if that helps, although don't be surprised if you don't see much improvement on this front until around 14 days in.

Hope this helps  :)

Thanks for the clarity!  Yes, I'm aware it's not meant as a ketogenic diet.  I referred to it only as evidence for why we need to incorporate more meat and less sugar into the diet - that there is a correlation of meat and sugar with brain health.  So no, I am not doing a ketogenic diet or endorsing it.    

Thanks!  I'm working on cutting out the sugar - it's still an uphill battle.  For me personally, I've been finding adding a 4th meal to be much better than having 3 big meals which had been recommended by one of the other moderators in a different thread.

And great reminder on the fat!!! I definitely forgot to add that to my pre-wo meal.  I had done that before and recall it was crazy helpful.

Day 4 - Sore Like a M*F*er

Last night's hill training destroyed me!  I ended up sleeping in and napping a lot today - was hoping to be a bit more productive on my day off... Oh well!

Meal #1: Korean Sprout Soup w/Yam "Noodles" + Banana

Meal #2: Salad + Chicken Noodle Soup + Blueberries

Meal #3: Shabu Shabu (Brought my own "soy sauce" to the restaurant - Coconut Aminos!!  Woot!)

Note:  Officially out of dried figs!  May be a blessing?  I realize I love them so much because they remind me of bread.  Sigh.

Note2:  Realize I can't have sugary stuff seasoning my meat - it tastes too delicious.  The sweetness of the coconut aminos made my senses go wild I think, and I got an added portion of meat for dinner - still compliant with the portion sizing, but was hoping not to eat so much for dinner.

Note3: Walking through Little Tokyo after dinner was BRUTAL - Asian cakes, breads, sweet lattes, icecream galore.  Was tempted to come home and have some fruit w/cinnamon, but I prevailed!  Wahoo!  Sleepiness > sugar dragon for tonight.  Good night!

Day 5 - It's been 5 Days Already??

Pre-WO Meal: Jerky + Almond Butter

Workout: Trail Running (7 miles)

Meal #1: Steak + Salad + Banana + Coffee

Meal #2: Salmon + Veggies + Blueberries + Half-Orange + Half-Avocado

Meal #3: Chicken + Veggies + Cashews

- May need to stop the jerky for Pre-WO meal as it is a bit harsh on the stomach.  Had stomach issues for mile 1-3 during run this morning.

- Noted intense carb craving this afternoon after lunch... Probably because I was so sleepy.  Went away after a nice nap!  The body craves sweets when tired.

Day 6 - Wow, No Cravings or Hunger

Pre-Race Meal: Egg / flaxmeal / greens / almond milk frittata + coffee + banana + dates

Half Marathon

Post-Race Meal: Jerky

Meal #1: Brazilian BBQ w/Salad

Meal #2: Potato + Orange (wasn't hungry)

- Crazy cravings and hunger have subsided for the first time ever.  Granted I had Brazilian BBQ for lunch, but in the past I would still gorge even though I was totally cognizant that I was full and didn't need more food.  Awesome... Body is finally going back to normal!!

Day 0 - Starting Over

I have to start over.  :(

Since my last post, I've been pretty good overall, but I will own up to my failure and discuss how it's spiraled out of control.  

It started with finishing my half-marathon.  I've been doing well, other than continued struggles with snacking / fruit which was starting to get better.  After the half-marathon I ate out with my boyfriend in which I decided to have a drink to celebrate.  I have to mention that in the start of my "Whole90" I made a conscious decision there would be only 2 occasions I would indulge - 2 weddings that I will be attending during the 90 days.  Other than that there should be no 'if, ands and buts.'

I shouldn't have had that 1 drink.  I rationalized it - it was deserved, it was just 1, it's included with the meal, it would be a waste if I didn't.  And truly, that's all. I didn't have bread, cake, sweets, etc.  I just had a drink, which for me is not a huge temptation as compared to sweets.  But I think it's in the mind.  Because a couple days later I had dinner with close girlfriends at an Italian restaurant.  When the restaurant was picked, I had been researching ahead of time the food I would be able to eat there.  I made a whole plan of what to order and to be full before arriving so I wouldn't be tempted by the pasta, and that I would strictly adhere to the Whole30.  But I caved in.  I thought, "We're never together - this may be the last time we all eat together for at least a year.  I should indulge."  So I indulged - first in a 'healthy' way - eating only as much to get me full.  But because I had a glass of wine, my willpower declined, and I continued to binge, and then with dessert.  I ate so much that my stomach was full and hurting.  But I was so happy - I was on Cloud 9.  There's an emotional aspect... It's been hard for me these days, and being with my close friends of 17+ years.  It was home, and it felt so damn good.  I was high.

Okay, I told myself, that's it.  Just the 2 weddings, and time with these girls.  That's it.  

And then today.  Today was a hard day emotionally.  I won't go into my personal issues, but let's just say I have a lot of baggage.  But in TRUTH, I think the sugar crash I experienced from the night I binged has continued through today.  I think it took a nose-dive today.  I woke up exhausted and depressed.  My sleep was terrible and full of dreams and insecurities.  This morning I had 10 dates.  This afternoon, I ended up making a type of chocolate mousse (coconut cream + cacao powder + dates), and had like 3 cups of it.  It's still "Whole30" compliant ingredients, I rationalized (although I totally broke the Whole30 rules).

Then tonight, at a church meeting.  I went prepared - had a full dinner because I knew they would have tempting snacks.  Cookies, I saw them and I wasn't tempted.  But by the end of the night, they looked SO good.  So I indulged.  I had 2 cookies.  And then that's when the dragon let loose.  The cookies were out, so I went to Starbucks, had 2 sugar cookies and a scone.   Right now, I am literally HIGH.  I have so much energy, I can probably throw my couches around.  I can fly, I can soar.

But I know that the crash is coming, and I'm scared.  Because the crash is not just a physical energy type of crash, it's going to be an EMOTIONAL crash.  And I've experienced this already.  After the Italian incident, I had an argument with my boyfriend, I continued to be depressed.  I was DEPRESSED.  I was depressed through today!!!  Until I had the mousse that I made.  Sugar, is a f*cking DRUG.

What have I learned?

• No more rationalizing.  No means no.  Not even if the boyfriend says OK.  Not even if anyone says that I should let loose.  This is why the Whole30 is so strict.  Because this is what happens - you give a mouse a cookie... And then it wants the whole damn bakery.
  • No more recipe searching.  So I actually stopped blogging for a bit because... My hunger did get under control!!!  Woot!!!!  My portions have been good, I've been satiated!!  HOWEVER, I've slowly started going back to old habits - obsession with food and recipes, even if they're Whole30 compliant.  I keep spending too much time on cooking & food, which is something I DON'T want to do anymore (except as a real TREAT or weekend fun activity).  Food = fuel.
  • Sugar is a drug.  The crash is real.  It's not just a physical one, but it's highly emotional.  It's scary, the dependency in tough times, the temporal joy.  There is a serious issue here.
  • No more dates and dried fruit.  I can't keep dried fruit and dates and crap in my house anymore.  I can't use them in recipes.  I have to stay focused on my goals.

Goal mindsets:

• Food = fuel.  Meals should be simple, except for the Sunbasket meals I get.  But otherwise, no more recipe searching, no more creative ways to make Whole30 compliant food during weekdays.  Those creative expression and experimentation should be a hobby for free time.
  • Need to train body to burn FAT.  I'm training for a marathon.  I have race time goals.  I can't meet these goals if I'm always having my body relying on carbs for fuel.  Sugar = carbs, even if they're from fruit.  The facts and studies are there.  This is not a Whole30 thing, this is consistent through all the research papers, science papers out there.
  • Burning FAT = sustained energy = clarity of mind. No more sugar crashes.  And as I am pursuing a new career, I need clarity of mind.  I may not have anything now.  But if I want to give my full effort, I need to be at 100%.  I have to at least try to give my 100%, and this is the easiest way.

Sigh, tomorrow is a new day.  Right now, my throat is scratchy, I have a headache, and I feel gross.  I feel full, and I feel like a fool.  So the journey continues, and I'm going to continue blogging because it's been holding me accountable.  The praise is that I'm not overeating anymore.  My body senses fullness.  I'm so grateful for that.  But the continued struggle is my sugar dragon - something I've never confronted.  Let's starve the s*t out of him.

... I have to mention that in the start of my "Whole90" I made a conscious decision there would be only 2 occasions I would indulge - 2 weddings that I will be attending during the 90 days.  Other than that there should be no 'if, ands and buts.'

And therein lies your problem.

Sorry if this feels like I'm kicking you when you're down but you gave yourself an 'out' right from the get go. You didn't fully commit - It was never going to be a Whole90, it was always going to be a Whole-whatever until the day of the first wedding.

And the figs & dates were only serving to prop up that Sugar Dragon - he didn't let loose, he never left the building!!

So, going forward here's what I'd do........

Ditch the fruit - ALL of it.

Ditch the nuts/nut butters too - they're snacky & a poor fat source anyway.

Stick to three meals (+ pre & postWO) every day whether or not you are hungry - make the effort to eat.

Up the fat in every meal - mayo & olives work well.

And if you must snack make it protein & fat.

Time to take a deep breath & get back on it!  ;)  B)

Day 1 - Good Start!

jmcbn - Thank you for your tips!  I just saw them right now, but I actually had subconsciously implemented all of them on my own (except I didn't think about the nut / nut butters... but just haven't really eaten today anyway)!  I must have felt the same patterns. 

Breakfast - Kale / Sprout Frittata + coffee

Lunch - Grilled veggies & chicken breast @ Whole Foods + coffee

Dinner - Grilled veggies + salad + chicken

The end!  No fruit today!  No snacks, no in-between meals!  Was tempted to buy some dried fruit at Whole Foods but did not cave in.  Woot!  

Notes:

- Had breakfast even though I wasn't hungry from last night's sugar binge.

- Felt headache today... And extreme fatigue in afternoon.  Must be the sugar hangover!!  I need to get more sleep.  I realize I crave sugar the most when I'm tired.  Taking a nap today was incredibly helpful.  

Archived