Onions and garlic

aped

So, i'm coming into the Whole 30 from being a "I prefer to eat veggies not meat" standpoint. I've found local farmers (that's the only way I ate meat anyway!) but I just introduced beef again. I need some tips and such because I actually enjoy it w/ those ingredients but my husband is apparently sensitive to those ingredients which cause him to have a migraine. And, often he's home when I cook---sigh.

Any suggestions?

I get wicked heartburn from garlic, but elephant garlic is a little more mild. If he is getting bad headaches, he may just have a sensitivity. I sometimes cook dishes most of the way through and at the end separate into two different pans to add garlic to a portion for my husband.

I enjoy eating meat with onions and garlic. Well, and every single recipe I look at calls for onions and/or garlic. :/ Obviously, I can cook when he isn't home but I need to make sure there is a time lapse so the smell isn't in the air.

Shallots and leeks are Alliums (like onions and garlic) and will almost probably cause the same problems for your husband.

If a recipe calls for a LOT of garlic and onion, then the final flavor probably depends heavily on them. If a recipe calls for a little bit, then it's easier to leave them out without ending up with something flavorless.

In most cases, it helps if you can enhance the flavors of the other ingredients by roasting, toasting or sauteeing them.

For example: many crock pot roast recipes say to dump all of the ingredients into the pot, pop on the lid and let it cook.

I do this instead:

• Dry the roast with paper towels, rub with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
  • Heat a little coconut oil in a wide, shallow pan (I use a Le Creuset "Buffet" pan that is shaped like a braiser)
  • Brown roast on all sides. Do not move it while it is browing (breaks the bond with the pan, keeps it from getting a nice crust), except to flip it over as each side is done. Don't forget the sides.
  • Meanwhile, mince some carrots and celery and set aside. Chop some big chunks of carrots and celery, too.
  • Put big chunks of carrots and celery in bottom of crock pot and add a few cups of chicken stock (yes, chicken).
  • When roast is nicely browned, put on top of big chunks of carrots and celery in crock pot
  • Pour about a half-cup of chicken stock into the pan you used to brown the roast, and scrape up the fond (the browned bits on the bottom of the pan).
  • You can reduce it a bit, or just pour it on top of the roast. All of that brown stuff is super-tasty goodness.
  • Then sautee the bits of carrots and celery in the same pan in a little more coconut oil, pour on top of roast.
  • If you have more fond in the pan, add more chicken stock, scrape up the bits and pour over the roast.
  • Cook on low all day while you're at work.

And you come home to an onion and garlic-free roast that will knock your socks off. Just experiment with the quantities until you hit your sweet spot. I have to beat my kids away from the crock pot with a wooden spoon to keep them from dragging the whole pot off the counter and absconding with it. Of course, the initial quality of the ingredients matters a lot, so your locally-sourced meat and veggies will make it the best it can be.

I can do all of that prep in about 20 minutes while feeding the kids breakfast. Some prep can be done the night before (chopping, mincing). I do set out all of the tools the night before.

Thanks - I am actually hoping that a W30 (or W45+) might help with my own Allium intolerance. It's one of those that docs (and others) poo poo as being in someone's head, but the symptoms are real, and for some people, debilitating.

I suspect a lot of people have an Allium intolerance and don't know it . . . it's in everything so our cumulative exposure is really high.

Archived