Starting February 29th

JeannineBailey

I figure it's appropriate to take the "leap" and start Whole30 on Leap Day! Also, my husband will be out of town - and since he's not exactly on board with this Whole30 thing, it'll be a chance for me to get a few days under my belt without having to worry about his comments/temptations. I have a friend that's done this before and she's given me lots of really good tips - but I am really nervous! I really want to feel better - I don't sleep well, I have hormone imbalance issues, a pretty serious sugar addiction...all of which I am hoping this will help!

I started today too!  I almost pushed it off until tomorrow, because I had major meal prep disasters last night.  It's a good thing I had today circled on my calendar; I didn't want to "fail" before I even started.  My lunch today isn't as bad as I thought it would be, so yay for that!  I could use some buddies who are on the same day as me. :)

Hi there,

After watching a couple from our bible study go through the Whole30 and watching them succeed and hearing there journey & transformation, I finally got the book last week and started reading.  Almost as soon as I started reading it I began to look at food differently.  I have avoided sugar & milk products since friday, just really to see if I can. And I am happy to say I did and decide that... 

Today as my official start day  Jeannie I like your LEAP idea... so let's LEAP into HEALTH.

Thing I'm looking forward to:

1. Having control over portions and sugar

2. Not being dependent on salt foods in the afternoon or sugary foods at night.

3. Getting control of my weight & health.

Possible areas of difficulty:

1.  Not eating beans.  I love pinto and black beans. We eat a lot of Mexican food in my house of 6 people.

2.  Not having milk, yogurt & cheese!!!

I hope your journey goes well.  I'm excited.

-Linda

Hi all!

I started today also  Breakfast and lunch went well.  Got overwhelmed at dinner (tried to make tomorrow's while making tonight's.  Learned that lesson well.  alomst 2 hours in the kitchen after a long day at work.  But I didn't give in!

Glad to see so many people starting on the same day as me! I am "Going Solo" so would love to keep a thread like this going so we can share how we are doing! First day done! Easy stuff being the first day. How did everyone else do?

-Mark

I also took advantage of the "leap day" and started Whole30 today. Day 1 wasn't bad- my normal stuff minus heavy cream and stevia in my coffee (sigh- hoping it grows on me!) And I really wanted to add some goat cheese to my breakfast scramble. 

Everyone make it through the day? 

I started the Whole30 today, as well. My meals today were flavorful and good. However, I, too, had to remind myself that my roasted veggies, sausage and poached egg could not be accompanied by a little goat cheese. But the difference I noticed the most was the lack of cream and sugar in my tea. Even so, I'm excited for tomorrow.

Started today. I'm surprised that drinking my coffee black isn't as hard as I thought it'd be. Made a big batch of mayo tonight for sauces and dressings, turned out really great! Made ranch dressing with some and spicy garlic aoli too. I feel like I can do this. I just need to be proactive in making sure that compliant options are available. Looking forward to the health benefits: increased energy, psoriasis going away, getting in better shape... can't wait to see what 30 days brings!

Congrats to all!  I started today as well, day went better than expected.....salsa helps ;)

I'm headed to a family style dinner charity event tomorrow - I actually called to try to figure out what I can eat.  Excited to see what happens over the next 30 days!

How did everyone do on their day 2? Mine went well as far as what I ate. However, noticing some irritability setting in. Nothing major so far, but I am a pretty laid back guy when it comes to my personal life so it is interesting to see this irritability already. I notice having a small bowl of fruit or a banana seems to help. RJ, hope you made it through ok and didnt give in. I am sure this will be the first of many temptations for you. Stay strong!

• Moderators

How did everyone do on their day 2? Mine went well as far as what I ate. However, noticing some irritability setting in. Nothing major so far, but I am a pretty laid back guy when it comes to my personal life so it is interesting to see this irritability already. I notice having a small bowl of fruit or a banana seems to help. RJ, hope you made it through ok and didnt give in. I am sure this will be the first of many temptations for you. Stay strong!

Better than having a bowl of fruit or banana on its own would be to make sure you're having at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day with a meal. If you're truly hungry between meals, it's better to have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables -- fruit on its own can cause spikes and then drops in blood sugar, which would contribute to more irritability later. 

Hey guys I also started leap day:) it's day 3. I am a bit sluggish today. I'm thinking coffee sounds good today. I had a frustrating time my day before because of all the meal prep but I'm good for at least a week. I did eat more meat then I should have I just wanted to get full for my 12 hour work day. Keep up the good work guys, WE CAN DO THIS!!

Hi there,

After watching a couple from our bible study go through the Whole30 and watching them succeed and hearing there journey & transformation, I finally got the book last week and started reading.  Almost as soon as I started reading it I began to look at food differently.  I have avoided sugar & milk products since friday, just really to see if I can. And I am happy to say I did and decide that... 

Today as my official start day  Jeannie I like your LEAP idea... so let's LEAP into HEALTH.

Thing I'm looking forward to:

1. Having control over portions and sugar

2. Not being dependent on salt foods in the afternoon or sugary foods at night.

3. Getting control of my weight & health.

Possible areas of difficulty:

1.  Not eating beans.  I love pinto and black beans. We eat a lot of Mexican food in my house of 6 people.

2.  Not having milk, yogurt & cheese!!!

I hope your journey goes well.  I'm excited.

-Linda

I love beans and tempted to bread, I by accident put some beans in my mouth and realized immediately and rinsed my mouth with water lol

Day 2 went okay, mild sugar cravings, not a big deal. Day 3, however, is sort of rough. Irritable? Check. Headache? Yep, a bit. And, all I want is some coffee with cream and sugar. I'm drinking some cucumber water and trying to distract myself. I'll have a piece of fruit with my lunch, with the hope that will be of help. I hope others are coping well with their sugar withdrawal...

Day 4 guys. Days 3 I was cranky in the morning, I had 3 mayo fails :( then after tasting all that I got sick to my stomach. I will try again another day at mayo. Today I woke up in a good mood let's see how it goes.. Stay strong guys!

Round 2 Day 4 for me. Did not go to the gym this morning as I am going after work for spin class. Stayed up later than usual last night and I felt heavy and tired this am. I added 2 hard boiled eggs into my day yesterday and my tummy seems to not be happy but I can have eggs for breakfast and me fine. Hmm interesting. NSV yesterday., was able to pass on one of the cupcakes for my students birthday. I teach Kindergarten and this month we have 4 BIRTHDAYS! Go figure lol. I just keep reminding my self that the cravings only last 3-5 minutes. I also make sure all extra cupcakes go home with the students. I too find that if my breakfast is protein rich Im able to stave off the hunger until lunch. I was hungry late at night and I don't like that rumbly feeling when I'm am in bed. 

Ive also decided to keep my second round of whole 30 to myself and not tell my family or people I work with. I think the last round I just felt it made me so much more obsessed with the food and the whole process. This time I'm just taking it one day one meal at a time.

Have a great day 4

Day 4 guys. Days 3 I was cranky in the morning, I had 3 mayo fails :( then after tasting all that I got sick to my stomach. I will try again another day at mayo. Today I woke up in a good mood let's see how it goes.. Stay strong guys!

My mayo was a total fail this week too.  I googled, and saw a good technique using an immersion blender.  I have one of those, so just need to get some mason jars this weekend and will try again!

• Moderators

I added 2 hard boiled eggs into my day yesterday and my tummy seems to not be happy but I can have eggs for breakfast and me fine. Hmm interesting.

Hard boiled eggs can leave me feeling bloated and uncomfortable, even though eggs cooked other ways don't, so if your breakfast eggs tend to be scrambled or fried or something other than hard boiled, that may be part of the problem. It's less bad when I don't overcook the hard boiled eggs, but I suck at getting them just right, so they often end up overcooked -- if yours had gray around the yolk, they were probably a little over done. They're also less bothersome if I have fat mixed with them -- so deviled eggs bother me less than just plain hard boiled, or if I don't have mayo on hand, I'll drizzle them with olive oil.

I used my ninja to make mayo. Worked really well. Had to use the pitcher so that I could pour the olive oil slowly while blending, so I made a double batch. Extra light olive oil also made a huge difference for me than my first attempt.

Made it through day 4!! I was struggling from day 1 with headaches and severe fatigue (I slept 11 hours last night), but today I only had a headache for an hour and I was so energized by 3pm that I went for a 6 mile run. Hopefully this lasts, though going through the "timeline" it seems like it may go downhill again.

Good luck everyone!

After lunch which consisted of sweet potatoes and ground turkey with onions and bell peppers  and a small spinach salad with grape tomatoes , I got a horrible headache! I also felt super full which was weird. I had 2 hard boiled eggs and a nectarine around 2:30 and felt much better. This is also the 2nd whole 30 for me and I'm focusing less on weight loss and more on the overall physical feeling better. It also seems to be easier and less "white knuckling it" because the pressure is off of myself to "lose weight". Here comes day 5!

Made it through day 4!! I was struggling from day 1 with headaches and severe fatigue (I slept 11 hours last night), but today I only had a headache for an hour and I was so energized by 3pm that I went for a 6 mile run. Hopefully this lasts, though going through the "timeline" it seems like it may go downhill again.

Good luck everyone!

I had crazy energy yesterday too!  My coworkers were looking at me a little oddly, lol.  Most of them now know I'm doing whole30; which I was a little reluctant to share.  I was afraid they might have negative comments about the program, and what if I don't make it through the 30 days?  Now I HAVE to finish the program. :)  I know every day won't be like yesterday, but it will help to remember it on the tough days!

Archived