Elyssia's First Whole 30

Mrs.Mathias

I started on Monday, February 22 and am now on Day 8. I'm logging all my food on MyFitnessPal, which is where I've been keeping track for a couple of years. This helps me to get an overview of my macros, and I'm trying to keep my fats in check. My goal is to keep everything in the 30% range.

I am exhausted right now because I made a big error at Breakfast: I had my sweet potato & chicken stew, which has twice as many carbs as protein! So I'm pushing though until I can make my Meal 2 and have a more balanced lunch. ;) I will save that as a Meal 3 option.

I like eating this way and have noticed a big benefit: On longer runs (more than 6 miles), I have been experiencing lower abdominal muscle pain that none of my doctors/physical therapists can explain outside of "muscle fatigue." This has been going on for nearly a year. This past weekend I ran 8.5 miles on Saturday and the pain was so slight. Sunday I ran just shy of 8 miles and again, the pain was greatly diminished. So I am very pleased about this!

The only thing I am battling is my runs for the past week have been real trials. Paces and courses I ran comfortably as a sugar burner have been a struggle to complete as I'm making the shift to fat adapted. I am praying this kicks in SOON! My runs have been so hard, exhausting and ugly! This makes me SO sad! I'm still holding out hope. I have 2 half marathons in April and May.

My pre work out meals consist of 1 HB egg . Within 15 minutes after my run I'm eating 2.5 oz of chicken breast and 1/3 cup of mashed sweet potato. Then Meal 1 after I shower and dress. I drink plenty of herbal tea throughout the day, and maybe 12 oz of a half caf coffee, black.

I'll use this forum for notes and observations. :)

• Moderators

I started on Monday, February 22 and am now on Day 8. I'm logging all my food on MyFitnessPal, which is where I've been keeping track for a couple of years. This helps me to get an overview of my macros, and I'm trying to keep my fats in check. My goal is to keep everything in the 30% range.

I am exhausted right now because I made a big error at Breakfast: I had my sweet potato & chicken stew, which has twice as many carbs as protein! So I'm pushing though until I can make my Meal 2 and have a more balanced lunch. ;) I will save that as a Meal 3 option.

I like eating this way and have noticed a big benefit: On longer runs (more than 6 miles), I have been experiencing lower abdominal muscle pain that none of my doctors/physical therapists can explain outside of "muscle fatigue." This has been going on for nearly a year. This past weekend I ran 8.5 miles on Saturday and the pain was so slight. Sunday I ran just shy of 8 miles and again, the pain was greatly diminished. So I am very pleased about this!

The only thing I am battling is my runs for the past week have been real trials. Paces and courses I ran comfortably as a sugar burner have been a struggle to complete as I'm making the shift to fat adapted. I am praying this kicks in SOON! My runs have been so hard, exhausting and ugly! This makes me SO sad! I'm still holding out hope. I have 2 half marathons in April and May.

My pre work out meals consist of 1 HB egg . Within 15 minutes after my run I'm eating 2.5 oz of chicken breast and 1/3 cup of mashed sweet potato. Then Meal 1 after I shower and dress. I drink plenty of herbal tea throughout the day, and maybe 12 oz of a half caf coffee, black.

I'll use this forum for notes and observations. :)

Please stop using MFP to track your macros. Whole30 doesn't have recommended macros to hit, we have a meal template, and if you follow that, you will be getting the right amounts of protein, fat, and carbs. Here's some more explanation about why this is so strongly recommended: Dear Melissa calorie counting, You Count More Than Your Calories Do.

It's pretty normal for workouts to be harder the first week or two, just hang in there. And don't try to skimp on the fats, they're what will help keep you satisfied longer between meals, they're good for your hair and skin and brain, and they can aid digestion.

• Moderators

OMG... I don't even know if I can do this! I have been tracking for 1766 days in a row! I weigh and measure EVERYTHING!

It's really kind of a relief to not have to weigh and measure everything, or make sure you get every little thing entered in MFP. Give it a try for the rest of your Whole30. If you really think you're best served to track everything, you can always go back to it -- those tracking apps/sites are all still going to be there.

Okay... I get that it is better and more important to just follow the plan. It is a simple plan as far as portions. I will do this. I will stop tracking. Melissa's logic is completely sound, and I realize I really need to stop tracking. It's not like it has really helped me...

I have a question though about eggs. Do they count as protein AND fat? because one egg has 6g protein and 5g fat. Because I haven't been eating fat when I have my HB egg pre WO.

I appreciate your advice, Shannon, thank you! :)

• Moderators

Okay... I get that it is better and more important to just follow the plan. It is a simple plan as far as portions. I will do this. I will stop tracking. Melissa's logic is completely sound, and I realize I really need to stop tracking. It's not like it has really helped me...

I have a question though about eggs. Do they count as protein AND fat? because one egg has 6g protein and 5g fat. Because I haven't been eating fat when I have my HB egg pre WO.

I appreciate your advice, Shannon, thank you! :)

Eggs are primarily protein, but yes, they do have fat. If it's working for you as a pre-workout, keep doing just the egg. If you ever feel like you might want a bit more of something, but not necessarily a whole other egg, you could try adding some mayo or olives or avocado.

For other meals, your goal is that your meal should keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. If you're eating enough protein and vegetables, and still not making it that long between meals, adding more fat may help. And if you have meals sometimes where you just feel like having more fat, that's also okay -- if you're eating it in the context of whole foods, you're unlikely to end up overeating it over the long term.

Day 9

4:40 am: Pre WO: one HB egg
5:30 am: Ran 5.3 miles @ 9:27 average pace - didn't struggle for the first time in 9 days! 
6:40 am: Post WO: little bit (2.5 oz?) of chicken breast and some mashed sweet potato.
8:45 am Meal 1: 2 eggs cooked with asparagus, spinach, one chicken/wild mushroom sausage link & 1/4 of an avocado. Felt satisfied.
10 am - Half caf coffee & decaf green tea
1:45 pm Meal 2: Ratatouille, beef chili, 1/4 avocado and cashews. Satisfied
4:00 pm: Some more cashews.
7:45 pm Meal 3: Poached cod with chimichurri, Brussels sprouts and zoodles.

Only tracked water intake on MFP, which is a HUGE thing for me. ;)

Day 10

8:40 am Meal 1: 3 egg omelette with broccoli, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Little bit of potato and 1 cup of coffee.
1:45 pm Meal 2: Zoodles with diced tomatoes, grilled skirt steak and 1/2 avocado. A few toasted cashews.
5:30 pm Snack: blueberries, mango & cashews
7:30 pm Meal 3: Chicken & sweet potato stew with one link of chicken & wild mushroom sausage. Sugar snap peas. 1/4 avocado.

Day 11

4:42 am Pre Run: HB egg
6:40 am Post Run: ~ 1/3 chicken breast and mashed sweet potatoes.
10: 30 am Meal 1: Spinach, asparagus and 2 fried eggs with 1/4 avocado & a little chimichurri. A few cashews and a pear.
2:00 pm Meal 2: Mixed greens & spinach salad with marinated artichoke hearts, red pepper strips, grape tomatoes, a few blueberries, grilled chicken and cashews. Coffee, black (& half caf).
7:45 pm Meal 3:  Poached cod with chimichurri & avocado-mango salsa, zucchini noodles with fire roasted tomatoes.

Day 12

Meal 1: Collard greens, broccoli, 2 eggs, chicken/wild mushroom sausage link, 1/2 avocado with balsamic and a matcha green tea & ginger latte.
Snack: Almonds, gogi berries and raw cocao nibs.
Meal 2: Small piece of chicken breast, poached cod, sweet potato/egg patties and sugar snap peas with mango. Some cashews and gogi berries.
Meal 3: Chicken & sweet potato stew, some almonds & cashews.

Day 13

Pre run: HB egg

Post-run: chicken breast & sweet potato

Meal 1: veggie omelette with poatoes & black coffee

Meal 2: chicken breast with sweet potato/egg patties, avocado-mango salsa.

Meal 3: two organic chicken sausage links, zoodles & Fire roasted tomatoes. 1/2 avocado & gogi berries.

Day 14:

Pre run: HB egg

Post run: chicken breast & mashed sweet potato.

Meal 1: veggie omelette with potatoes & black coffee

Meal 2: half of a cooked chicken breast, and sweet potato pancakes with avocado mango salsa.

Meal 3: organic chicken sausage, zucchini noodles with fire roasted tomatoes & half an avocado. Gogi berries & peppermint tea for "dessert."

Day 15:

During 12.5 mile run: coconut water

Post run: chicken breast and mashed sweet potato.

Meal 1: Sauteed asparagus and collard greens with 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado and an organic chicken sausage link.

Meal 2: piece of chicken breast, pineapple, mango and toasted cashews.

Meal 3: Sugar snap peas and beef chili over baby spinach. Toasted cashews and a ginger-tumeric latte.

Day 15:

During 12.5 mile run: coconut water

Post run: chicken breast and mashed sweet potato.

Meal 1: Sauteed asparagus and collard greens with 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado and an organic chicken sausage link.

Meal 2: piece of chicken breast, pineapple, mango and toasted cashews.

Meal 3: Sugar snap peas and beef chili over baby spinach. Toasted cashews and a ginger-tumeric latte.

Oops... This is actually day 14! Day 14 above is a repeat of day 13. Confusion!!

Day 15:

Meal 1: 3 egg omelette with mushrooms, tomatoes & spinach. Fruit (pineapple & melon). Little bit of potatoes and black coffee.

Meal 2: HB egg, beef chili, cashews & almonds, sugar snap peas.

Meal 3: roasted chicken thigh & marinated artichoke hearts, broccoli & mashed sweet potatoes (spiced with ginger, tumeric & cinnamon). 1/2 Avocado w/ salt & pepper.

Day 16

5:30 am: 5 mile tempo/progressive run
6:25 am Post run: 1 Epic beef bar and mashed sweet potato
8:45 am: Meal 1: 3 over easy eggs with plate of cooked mixed vegetables, black coffee.
12:00 pm: Black coffee.
3:00 pm: Meal 2: zucchini noodles, beef chili, 1/4 avocado, handful of raspberries, a few cashews.
7:30 pm: Meal 3: Poached cod, sautéed asparagus wrapped with prosciutto, 1/2 avocado with salt & pepper.

I am really loving eating this way!

Day 17:

8:30 am Post workout: a little cod.
9:30 am Meal 1: 2 eggs cooked with asparagus & spinach with a chicken sausage and handful of cashews.
1:45 pm Meal 2: Zucchini "noodles", beef chili, 1/2 avocado and a pear.
4:25 pm snack: blueberries & almonds
8:00 pm Meal 3: Grilled chicken thigh, no skin, mashed sweet potato, broccoli & avocado.

Day 24

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spinach, mushrooms & tomato with fresh fruit and black coffee.
Lunch: Buffalo chicken casserole, chicken thigh, mashed sweet potato and 1/4 avocado with some cashews.
Snack: Apple with cashew butter:
Roasted chicken breast, brussels sprouts and sweet potato. 1/2 avocado.

Day 25

5 mile tempo run, then grilled chicken breast with sweet potato.

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with cauliflower, mushrooms, orange & red peppers, potatoes & onions. Black coffee & 1/4 avocado.

Snack little bit of buffalo chicken casserole.

Lunch: Buffalo chicken casserole, sweet potato & broccoli.

Snack: Beef chili, pear & cashew butter.

Dinner: Burger, little mashed sweet potato & asparagus. 1/2 avocado.

Day 28

Coffee before an after 4 mile easy run

Breakfast: Two poached eggs, duck confit and Lyonnaise potatoes. Black coffee.

Dinner: Filet mignon, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and 1/2 avocado. Pineapple & strawberry for desert with a few cashews.

Archived