Lindsey's First REAL Whole 30 Log

lindseyjoisreal

So I've tried this Whole 30 thing before. Once. And I only made it 5 days. I was in a really rough place emotionally and I just didn't have the support, or the willpower, to make it longer than that. That was a year ago. 

Two years ago I also maintained a ketogenic diet for 7 months, before I moved off to college and I found myself no longer able to maintain a low carb lifestyle.

I'm ready to go at this thing again. And this time, for real. This is really what I want to do. 

I need to help myself change the way I look at food. My relationship with food has always been terrible; I've always been one to emotionally eat. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to eat food that will nurture my body, not just dull my emotions. 

So, why am I doing this? 

1. To change the way I look at food.
  2. To help myself be and feel healthier. 
  3. To make feeding myself an act of self-care. 
  4. (Later) to figure out what foods my body has a negative reaction to. 

I'm also doing this in hopes it will, along with other forms of treatment, help me with my Bipolar 2. 

I'm feeling incredibly hopeful. I want to hold on to that. 

I cleaned out my pantry and fridge today. Got rid of all of the stuff that I no longer want to eat. Meal planned, and stocked the fridge and pantry with fresh vegetables and meats and good foods. This is Day 0 for me. I know that I'm going to get the "Carb Flu", I've experienced it before and it's no fun. But I feel like making this change in my life is going to be very worth it. 

So that I can look back later to what I started from, here is what I ate today--

Breakfast--Plain Bagel, Cream Cheese, Chocolate Chips, Red Powerade

Lunch--Nutella (I know...)

Dinner--In-n-Out Double Double (Protein Style, L&T Only), Fries, Pink Lemonade

Snack--Orange Soda, Mike&Ikes

Tomorrow starts Day 1. I have a plan and I'm feeling hopeful. 

Gonna try and hold on to this hope for as long as possible. 

Day 1 went fairly well. I was feeling really lethargic, but I think that was because of the medication I'm on to manage my Bipolar 2. I was already having some really intense sugar cravings. I wasn't having a soda EVERY day previously, but enough that mid afternoon i was starting to want one real badly. And chocolate. Not even good chocolate. I was craving really crappy chocolate. Didn't give in to either of those. I know it's my Sugar Dragon, and if it's already rearing its head that badly on day one, I can only imagine it will get worse. 

I ate fairly well, though. And I made it through the cravings and the day of questioning why the hell I'm doing this. I feel like  was eating enough, but my brain was hungry for white bread and nutella and soda all day. So even after I ate it'd be like, hey you're not done... I feel like I was eating enough. I think I'll try and include more fat on Day 2. 

Breakfast-- "Monkey Salad" (a very green banana, a few sliced almonds, a small handful of unsweetened coconut), two eggs scrambled in ghee, a small zucchini sauteed in ghee

Lunch-- A generous handful of black olives, satueed cabbage/carrots with garlic and bacon, a small pork chop

Dinner-- Sweet potato fries (nom nom paleo), steamed broccoli drizzled with ghee, half of a t-bone steak

I also had a few olives when I was craving sugar throughout the day.

Drank 64oz of water (which isn't as much as I should have, but it's more than normal for me).

Overall, I think Day 1 went well. I have a somewhat plan for Day 2, but it's not set in stone. My partner is coming over for dinner, so I'm going to be cooking for him as well. 

Today was okay. Somehow ended up only eating two meals (okay, so I know exactly how, but...). I just haven't been hungry. I forced myself to eat a big breakfast and a big dinner. 

Really hoping I get my appetite back soon. 

Breakfast-- Two fried eggs, cabbage, one small white potato, three small pieces of bacon, one apple, homemade almond butter

Dinner--Small baked white potato (with bacon and lots of ghee and green onions), a large portion of asparagus, and half of a large pork chop

Day 3 Completed. Still not much of an appetite, and had several hours of seriously doubting myself, but I made it through the day. 

Breakfast-- Green banana, handful of coconut flakes, tablespoon of sliced almonds, quarter cup of homemade almond milk

Lunch-- (What I made-- Sauteed cabbage leaves filled with ground beef, tomato sauce, onion, and sauteed kale)

What I ate-- Ground beef, tomato sauce, and onions

"Snack"-- Big handful of shredded carrots 

Dinner-- Almond crusted chicken breast, zoodles, and leftover potato from last night. (THIS WAS SO GOOD and was the first thing I actually had an appetite for in two days)

Today went fairly well. I've been really doubting myself. Especially because I hadn't had an appetite. I'm still having some self doubt. My partner is being very supportive, though, and I feel like I can at least focus on making it through one day at a time. I made it through today and I feel like I can definitely make it through tomorrow. 

Also, the last 2 days have brought on some really intense depression for me. I wonder if that's just how the carb flu manifests in me. I don't know. Whatever the reason, I'd really like it to go away. 

Archived