Whole30 (Take Two)

victoriaarielle

I decided to do this again since I got such good results the first time, and hopefully keeping a log will hold me a little bit more accountable this time around! Since Easter is over, I have no more excuses. I'm putting my close relationship with wine aside for the month and jumping in. 

Day 1:

Meal One: Hard-boiled egg (decorated fabulously for Easter), clementine

Meal Two: Whole avocado with smoked salmon and dill

Meal Three: Roasted veggies (carrots, sweet potato, parsnips) with rosemary and olive oil, drizzled with homemade chive aioli

Snack: Banana

Day 2: 

Meal One: Black coffee, two egg cups (recipe below)

Meal Two: Leftover roasted veggies (carrots, sweet potato, parsnips) with rosemary and olive oil

Meal Three: 1/2 stuffed red pepper (recipe below) with 1/2 avocado

Snacks: Clementine, apple, banana

EGG CUPS:

Ingredients

12 eggs

Mixture of veggies (I used broccoli, kale, and onion)

Olive oil spray

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick olive oil spray, or whatever you have that is whole30 compliant. I also used muffin cups, since these have a tendency to stick a little even with spray
  3. Whisk all 12 eggs together in a bowl, then pour evenly into each cup in the muffin tin
  4. In a frying pan, sautee all of the veggies together in a tbsp of olive oil, or other whole30 compliant oil. 
  5. Evenly distribute the veggies into the egg mixture in the muffin tin.
  6. Bake for approx. 15 min, or until a fork/toothpick comes out clean.

You can store these for about 5 days in the fridge, or put them in your freezer if you won't eat them within that time frame. 

STUFFED PEPPERS:

Ingredients

4 red peppers

1 lb ground turkey

1/2 yellow onion

Salsa (whole30 compliant)

1 small can tomato paste 

2 tomatoes, chopped

Lettuce

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Wash the peppers, remove the stems, and cut the peppers in half
  3. Brown the ground turkey in a saucepan with the yellow onion
  4. Remove from heat
  5. Add 1 cup of salsa, chopped tomatoes, and the small can of tomato paste. I use the full can, some people prefer less
  6. Add the meat mixture to each 1/2 pepper 
  7. Bake in glassware for 20 min
  8. When done, top with lettuce and (optional) avocado and enjoy

Hey there & welcome back to Whole30  :) 

Just a quick note to say you're really not eating enough.

Your meal 3 on day one & meal two on day two are completely lacking in protein.

When eating those stuffed peppers you could eat at least a whole one, probably two.

And when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - which is 3-4 for most females.

Your meals should be big enough to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs without the need for snacks, which is obviously not the case here. Fruit should also not be eaten on it's own as a snack - if you are genuinely hungry have a mini meal, or at least two of three macros - protein & fat, fat & carbs (veg),or protein & carbs.

Are you familiar with the recommended meal template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimum), and a generous serving of fat? Build your meals to match this and you will cut out the need fo snacks, and you will also see improved results - over restriction of food is counter productive as your metabolism slows down to allow for the lack of fuel you're providing...

As an aside you might want to check your oil spray for off plan ingredients such as soy.

Day 4:

Meal One: Strawberry Banana Smoothie (recipe below)

Meal Two: Stuffed pepper*

Meal Three: Handful of strawberries, egg cup*

*Recipes in Day 2

NOTE: I am aware that I surely did not eat enough today, which was purely on account of poor scheduling. I made plans and forgot to bring a meal for dinner, so grabbed what I could on the go. I would not recommend or condone this! 

STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE

Ingredients

4 dates (pitted)

1/2 frozen banana

2 frozen strawberries

1 cup coconut almond milk

Instructions

1. Rinse the dates, then soak them in the coconut milk for 1 hour
  2. Cut the tops off of the strawberries, and cut the banana into smaller chunks
  3. Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth

This makes ONE serving! It kept me full all morning, and well into the afternoon. I had to remind myself to eat lunch! 

STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE

Ingredients

4 dates (pitted)

1/2 frozen banana

2 frozen strawberries

1 cup coconut almond milk

Instructions

1. Rinse the dates, then soak them in the coconut milk for 1 hour
  2. Cut the tops off of the strawberries, and cut the banana into smaller chunks
  3. Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth

This makes ONE serving! It kept me full all morning, and well into the afternoon. I had to remind myself to eat lunch! 

Sorry to be a pain having just posted some suggested tweaks for you above, but here's the offical take on Smoothies:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Drinking your foods rather than eating them, making liquid meals from fruit & fat (particularly in the morning when they will greatly impact your blood sugar levels having fasted over-night), coupled with under-eating is NOT going to get you the results you deserve....

Ultimately it's up to you, and provided you're not eating any off plan ingredients (such as the possible soy in the spray oil as I mentioned in my post above) then technically you're still doing a Whole30, but we would encourage everyone to follow the recommendations as well as the rules.

Archived