breakfast bake

AlisonB

I have been struggling with very eggy breakfasts and thought others might like this bake, based on a modified recipe from Preppy Paleo (which I thought might be a bit too close to SWYPO..)

I mixed up a large jar (500g) of pureed pumpkin, a tin of coconut milk,and whisked in 4 whole eggs and some spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves). Then I sauteed some chopped prosciutto til crispy and wilted about 3 big handfuls of baby spinach in the saute pan. Once it had cooled, I added the spinach mix to the egg mix, sprinkled flaked almonds on top and baked it in a greased dish until it was set( about 45 mins)

It came out really well, light and creamy, with the salty pork cutting through the sweetness. Next time I might add another egg to make it set a bit more. It reheats well in the microwave and made enough for 4 breakfasts - though you might want a bit of extra protein. Of course it is still egg-based but a little less obviously so, which suits me fine.

Derval, I got it in my local health food shop. German brand, can't remember the name.

It was £4 so pretty pricey but I was desperate for a different breakfast. No reason why you couldn't use tinned pumpkin/babyfood/home made puree.

I've been doing something similar too-- I mash up a banana, add 3 eggs, cinnamon, baking soda or powder (~1 tsp, without "illegal" ingredients, or skip altogether for W30, just gives a bit of rise), splash of vanilla, coconut oil and (optional) ground flax (mixed feelings over whether flax is OK for W30 so skip it or use it depending on your view) Microwave for 3 minutes. I mix this recipe up a bit by adding a few tablespoons of canned pumpkin, or some frozen blueberries or cranberries on top. It's also good with diced apple or almost any fruit you can imagine baked. Post W30 you can top with maple syrup for a sweeter flavor if you like. You can also make a smaller "mug muffin" version by scaling everything back, using 1 egg and microwaving for 55 sec.

Now I think in ISWF they mention a similar "fruit scramble" idea but say it's essential to eat it with veggies (theirs includes basil I think? And spinach?) So serve with spinach as Alison has suggested and you're good to go!

I have had this for breakfast a few times now - though it tastes gorgeous to me, and is a lot more appetising than naked eggs, I can feel that it doesn't have the full protein power of a more template-approved breakfast. I think next time I would either make it with more eggs, or have eg a hard boiled egg/cold meat on the side. I found I couldn't make it through to lunch without snacking, which I am trying to avoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived