What staples do I need? Irish stores?

Kikkid

Help! I'm starting this and planning on stocking up on lots of fruit and veg this weekend. What other staples do I need? Coconut oil is one I know. Any types of flour I can buy, eg coconut flour? Where is best to go shopping, Dunnes?

Hi Kikkid,

coconut oil for sure, and the link posted provides lots of ideas. Almond flour is very handy, as is dessicated coconut for things like making chicken goujons and fritters. I use a lot of spices now in cooking so stocking up on things like cumin, cinnamon, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, turmeric, paprika, garam masala etc is a good idea. Always have eggs in the fridge and things like canned tomatoes and coconut milk in the press.

I don't have a Dunnes near me but if the location works for you Supervalu Churchtown have a pretty good range of stuff, even got macadamia nut oil there once, Get Fresh in Rathfarnham has a lot of good quality fruit & veg and super spices & oils, Lidl stocks almond flour, and all the shops really have the likes of coconut milk and usually coconut oil.

Hi Leax, Almond flour in lidl? Wow never saw that there, it's not the ground almonds is it? I have a Super valu near me, churchtown is quite close also! Where is Get Fresh in Rathfarnham, is it in the shopping centre? Thanks a mil for your post

Carie thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

HI kikkid

Leax gave great pointers there. I'd agree with those. Really stock up your spice cupboard-it makes a huge difference when you have lots of variety. I find Aldi great for stocking up on plenty of veggies and I also like their smoked salmon and hotsmoked salmon, eggs, Specially Selected striploin steaks, citrus olives, coconut milk, canned tomatoes, nuts, blueberries, bags of rocket and other variations of mixed leaves. I'm sure there are other W30 things I buy there-if I think of them I'll be back.

In my greengrocer/health store I buy Meridian Almond Butter ,a Thai red curry paste which has no dodgy ingredients, spices, additional fruit+veg etc.

I get most of my meat and fresh fish in my local butcher then.

Hope you get sorted with all the things you are after. Good luck!

Hi Kikkid, yes almond flour is just ground almonds as Derval says, you can get it in any supermarket. Agree with summerGirl re the mixed leaves, I usually have dinner leftovers for breakfast with eggs and usually throw a load of spinach & rocket in when heating up. Most of the Thai Gold curry pastes are vegetable oil and sugar free and handy for quick meals. Lawlor's butchers in upper Rathmines do a free-range pork DH buys and generally their meat is very good. We order beef from http://www.omegabeefdirect.ie/ , but I reckon it's a matter of phoning around to find fully grass-fed beef from a local butchers, don't know for sure though. There are a couple of other pure grassfed online suppliers in Tipperary I think as well. Might suit you if you have a chest freezer. We use a lot of mince since discovering http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/ various meatball recipes, it's very handy to have it to hand in the freezer!

The issue with organic meat is that it means the cnimals are fed organic food and no antibiotics. But that organic food could be corn, see what I mean? So it's the grass-fed/pastured that's the important bit.

Tbh I just buy regular decent quality meat, free range chicken & eggs. I can't afford more.

Archived