Whole30 then AIP alone?

I've just started the basic whole30 but as my dr thinks I may have rheumatoid arthritis I was also looking at the auto immune protocol. However, I decided to do the whole30 first and see how that goes and if I need to I can do AIP later on.

However I was wondering if I'd have to do a full whole30 with the AIP if so? If I discover when I try re introducing foods that (eg) dairy doesn't cause a flare up of symptoms presumably that means I don't have to cut out dairy when I do the repeated whole30 with AIP? I'm thinking that if I know I'm ok with certain foods there would be no need to cut them out again. Is that right?

I think this is true. However the AIP eliminates all things that can cause inflammation and flare your symptoms (like nightshades), so it's possible that even if you do all of your 30 days you might not get a resolution of your symptoms. I'm also in the process of being diagnosed for autoimmune and while I felt better after 30 days I still have mild symptoms. So I've slowly been going AIP and have not started reintroductions yet. But if you do start reintroductions and it turns out dairy is good, then by all means keep eating it! And I'd be jealous :) I'd just go slowly...

• Moderators

The problem with doing it the way you suggest is that, while reintroductions can tell you if you have an immediate noticeable reaction, they cannot tell you about other reactions that may not show up as quickly. For me, I don't get immediate digestive problems when I have dairy or anything noticeable like that. I did find that when I kept eating Whole30 except for adding dairy to my coffee (organic half & half), over the course of a week or so, aches and pains that had gone away during Whole30 came back. My takeaway from that is that having dairy is contributing to inflammation, even if I don't notice it immediately.

Ultimately, it is up to you what you do after Whole30, but do pay attention to how you feel as you add things back into your diet, not just the day of the initial reintroduction, but if you add them back in regularly afterwards.

Yes you may want to check out some AIP websites where they go over the reintroduction period - it's done VERY slowly, one ingredient at a time. Seems like the best way to figure out which can contribute to joint pain, etc. I tried egg yolks the other day as my first reintro and it didn't go well. But I plan on trying again in a few months!

Archived