Day 11: I feel the breath of the Dragon

Sugar was my thing.  After reading "It Starts with Food" I totally understand why and why that's not good.  I've been pretty satisfied so far.  I've actually not been hungry all the time.  I cannot remember a time in my life (except when I was pregnant) that was the case.  Now there is the emotional things.  I want a piece of the strawberry rhubarb crumble that the kids got for Father's Day yesterday with a big scoop of ice cream.  I am not hungry and I am not going to throw 11 days away but I really do want it.  Instead I am posting here. I am going to keep the Dragon at bay. 

My husband left the crumble on the counter. One of the dogs ate most of the rest (which didn't agree with him) and rolled in some. He is sticky but smells good. I feel like there's a lesson in this for me but I'm not certain what it is.

I'm on Day 12 and I know what you mean! My thing is crunchy, salty, fried foods, yet I am craving sweet things. I get the craving right before bed. Though I never was big on snacking before bed, I used to have a glass of wine most nights. The other day I ate about 6 grapes even though I wasn't hungry because I was craving sugar. Afterward I thought it probably wasn't a good idea. Last night I really, really wanted a Lara Bar, but I didn't give in.

I am happy my cravings feel as if they would be stopped by healthy options, but I don't think giving in is the right thing to do.

• Moderators

but I don't think giving in is the right thing to do.

You're right, it isn't. If you crave sweets and have something sweet, you will just keep craving sweets. Typically, cravings only last a few minutes, so if you can distract yourself for a little while (read, go for a walk, do some yoga or meditation, work on a craft or hobby), it will usually go away. If it really doesn't go away, your best bet is to eat some fat, like olives or avocado.

Archived