Not hungry in morning

I was never a big breakfast eater. Knowing it is important, I have forced myself to eat for the past couple of years but it is usually a couple hours after I'm up. Typically it was overnight oats with almond milk and chia seeds, peanut butter on whole wheat toast or granola bars. I can't eat eggs. (Confirmed the first three days on Whole30.)

So breakfast is still an issue for me.

I tried eating as soon as I get up, but that is the worst time. Lately I take a shower first, then try to eat. Some days I feel a tiny bit hungry, but there is absolutely nothing I want to eat except fruit or sweet potatoes, not that I am eating them.

I've been eating a lot of sauteed veggies (peppers, onions, leftovers from dinner) with beef roast or compliant sausages. But it is such an effort to get even half of the servings down. I tried leftovers the first few days, but that was even harder to eat in the morning. I am delaying drinking coffee until after I have eaten. (Very hard to do.)

Any suggestions for being hungry in the morning?

Cindi

• Administrators

Couple suggestions.

First, check your sleep hygiene and make sure that you have good sleep practices.  Although it may not seem like it, having an appropriate sleep-hormone cycle plays greatly into proper appetite hormone cycle.  I've linked two articles below.

Second, I eat breakfast every morning within an hour of waking and have done for a long time. That said, if you wanted me to eat peppers and onions or roast beef as any part of that meal, some days I'd rather just not eat.  Not appetising for me at all.  Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless for us) that are precooked and then sliced cold or the hubby will microwave his, very popular at our house.  Grilled and seasoned pork chops cubed up and dipped into homemade guac or mayo is excellent as well.  We almost always have cooked broccoli or green beans or both.  Often roasted carrots, roasted cauliflower, leftover garlic roasted potatoes, sometimes sauteed greens.  Omelettes stuffed with whatever leftovers we have are also awesome (I make one huge omelette and split it between the two of us).  All that to say, pick things that you really like and that are a little easily palatable for you.  I wouldn't pick overly seasoned/spicy stuff to start with, personally.  Chicken salad with homemade mayo, diced apple, green onion stuffed into some lettuce leaves or half a cooked yam would be a good start too.  Leftovers is very popular at our house but then we've been at this for a while...takes some getting used to.

Finally, no matter what you decide on, plate up a full template meal and eat as much of it as you can.  Protein, veggies and fat.  I would suggest no fruits until you can eat a proper meal first.  When you think you're full, pack it up, take it with you and eat it as soon as you feel able.  Not waiting until next meal time.  

PS.  In order to be hungry in the morning you should not be eating at night after your last meal.

I tried the roast beef because I had a brisket omelette (with peppers and onions) without eggs over the weekend and it was delicous! Opened my eyes to so many different foods for the morning. The roast was good, but I may have eaten it too many days in a row, though.

My original plan was to eat things like chicken salad or egg salad with homemade mayo, but I can't eat eggs. The egg salad I made with homemade mayo the first day killed my stomach.

This morning I ate half my breakast, finished getting ready for work, then ate the rest of it. That helped, but it was still hard to eat within an hour of getting up.

I don't get enough sleep, and I am working on it. That could be a big factor.

BTW I just figured out I'm not eating enough veggies for breakfast anyway. I've been averaging 1 to 1 1/2 cups.

Typically I do not eat anything after dinner, though I did had a couple almonds some nights the first week.

Archived