Good way to get bacon!!

Dija

I was in search of sugar free bacon and started talking to the butcher at Whole Foods. They sell fresh cut pork belly...aka bacon before cure/brine/smoke. It was cheaper than packaged bacon. Little bit of salt and black bepper and it crisps up nicely in the skillet.

The whole foods I visit has an in-house smoker, so if I call ahead, they'll smoke some of the pork belly for me.

I'll likely be buying some to make my own bacon soon. Just buy a slab of it, brine it and throw it on the smoker.

For anyone missing bacon...this is a good way to go about it IMHO.

I was thinking about buying an electric smoker because I live in an apartment, or wrapping wood chips in foil and place in the oven.

After searching. I think I might buy this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Camerons-Products-Lil-Smokey-Smoker/dp/B0000DH88G/ref=sr_1_15?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1350011235&sr=1-15&keywords=electric+smoker

I didn't feel I need it for bacon either but I want to try smoking my own and if I get good at it I am going to make some for Christmas breakfast, along with homemade sausage. I want to show my family how good making your own stuff can be. :) My parents already grow their own veggies but still rely on a lot of processed crap too. I really enjoy canning and creating my own bacon and mayo.. well you get the idea.. I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I didn't feel I need it for bacon either but I want to try smoking my own and if I get good at it I am going to make some for Christmas breakfast, along with homemade sausage. I want to show my family how good making your own stuff can be. :) My parents already grow their own veggies but still rely on a lot of processed crap too. I really enjoy canning and creating my own bacon and mayo.. well you get the idea.. I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Oh good idea. I absolutely love making my own mayo (I will forever be grateful for that) and I have my pork belly in the oven for 45 more minutes.

Oh good idea. I absolutely love making my own mayo (I will forever be grateful for that) and I have my pork belly in the oven for 45 more minutes.

How do you do your pork belly? I just slice or dice and fry it up. I love it diced and fried up crisp. Goes great on EVERYTHING...that is if we don't just stand there and eat it and have none leftover.

Sharon, remind me what you brine yours in? Do we use the same recipe? I know I saw yours on another bacon thread. I may figure out how to smoke it (at least a little) on my gas grill. I think I've seen pouches of wood chips you place on the burners, but then I would imagine you would need to not wrap it up in foil like the recipe I have for roasting it in the oven.

http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/2011/11/homemade-bacon.html

Just a guideline, use whatever spices you like best. For example, I use regular sea salt instead of smoked and add smoked paprika instead.

I think I am going to try celery salt this time but I have to wait for it to arrive. I could not see myself paying $15 for a tiny jar at WF's and I could not find it anywhere else.

Also, at some point I might try this making celery salt.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/homemade-celery-salt-recipe.html

I think I am going to make some salt blends and put them in baskets as small gifts. I have a bunch of lovely little tins and they would work well.

I wonder what the purpose is of letting it "cure" for 7 days? Do you know? I only waited until the next day, so I am curious how it would be different. My recipe also had me wrap it double in aluminum foil. I kind of like the idea of roasting it in the open air. Sigh...I think these bacon threads will last to the end of time. :)

I love the idea of making celery salt. I will try using my dehydrator to dry the leaves.

I told my mom I was now making bacon and ghee besides my mayo and she asked when I would start making my own clothes. If you knew me, you'd know how funny that was.

Archived