Hormones out of wack/pms?

Mrssandoval

Hi,

Forgive me if this topic has been covered. I looked around to see if I saw anyone with similar issues. I am now on day 7 of whole 30. I was on day 15 but cheated on my anniversary. I've been gluten free for about two months. And I wonder what exactly is happening to my hormones/body. I've experienced low libidos and minimal amounts of "lubricant" during - sorry -tmi. Now, I'm incredibly anxious and nauseas. I was a BIG sugar addict and I'm wondering if there is any scientific explanations to the changes that occur during this whole 30? I'm 35 and I know myself well enough to know that this isn't a fluke. I am concerned about my well being. With that being said, I still feel much better on the diet. But these strange side effects concern me. Any links or studies I should read?

• Administrators

Hi,

Can you link us up with your typical food intake including portion sizes, timing etc?

How much water are you drinking daily? Are you salting your food? If you are dehydrated your body will struggle to produce lube. 

Here's an article about vaginal lubricant that is interesting and my set your mind at ease: http://www.goodinbed.com/blogs/sex_doctors/2011/02/getting-wet-female-lubrication/

Libido definitely can fluctuate during Whole30 and often it has to do with the amount of starchy veggie you're getting along with the other common factors like stress, sleep etc.

Note, due to the personal nature of this thread, I've moved it into Ladies Only for a bit more privacy.

Hi. Thank you so much for your reply/link.

I do think I may be slightly dehydrated as I'm drinking and craving a lot more water than usual. Also, I had a bit of pumpkin seeds as I was craving salt -bad, I know.

I've been working out a lot compared to just a month ago which can also be messing with my hormones. Eg: I forced myself to go on a 8 mile hike yesterday and took a crossfit trial class on Saturday.

Meals: are around 8-9 am. Usually eggs with Paleo bacon, fratata, tomato, guac and or avocados, salsa, berries. Those are the essential ingredients although I mix it up.

Lunch could be chicken, Paleo chilli and sweet potato, grilled veggies, salsa, carrots, collar greens (whole food- compliant), stuffed peepers, zoodles, sweet potato chips (once) avocado. Around 1-2 pm. I am now starting to focus on portion size but seem to be more hungry either due to workout or pms.

Nuts, rx bars and Lara bars have snuck in the middle of those meals on occasion. Eg: ate the rx bar during my hike. Or, if I didn't pack enough lunch for work, I'll run for salted nuts/a bar.

Dinner is the same as lunch. 6-8 pm.

The sex thing is completely uncharacteristic and am wondering if I'm not eating enough carbs.

• Administrators

Hi. Thank you so much for your reply/link.

I do think I may be slightly dehydrated as I'm drinking and craving a lot more water than usual. Also, I had a bit of pumpkin seeds as I was craving salt -bad, I know.

I've been working out a lot compared to just a month ago which can also be messing with my hormones. Eg: I forced myself to go on a 8 mile hike yesterday and took a crossfit trial class on Saturday.

Meals: are around 8-9 am. Usually eggs with Paleo bacon, fratata, tomato, guac and or avocados, salsa, berries. Those are the essential ingredients although I mix it up.

Lunch could be chicken, Paleo chilli and sweet potato, grilled veggies, salsa, carrots, collar greens (whole food- compliant), stuffed peepers, zoodles, sweet potato chips (once) avocado. Around 1-2 pm. I am now starting to focus on portion size but seem to be more hungry either due to workout or pms.

Nuts, rx bars and Lara bars have snuck in the middle of those meals on occasion. Eg: ate the rx bar during my hike. Or, if I didn't pack enough lunch for work, I'll run for salted nuts/a bar.

Dinner is the same as lunch. 6-8 pm.

The sex thing is completely uncharacteristic and am wondering if I'm not eating enough carbs.

Couple things. First, I highlit a noteable statement in your write up above.  If you are forcing yourself into exercise/activity when your body is actually in need of rest and recovery, you are not doing yourself or your sex drive any favours.  Your body isn't going to get all geared up to have sex when it's so tired and you keep dragging it around.  ;)

http://whole9life.com/2012/05/rest-vs-recovery/

http://whole9life.com/category/active-recovery/

http://whole9life.com/2010/01/all-banged-up/

^^ 3 articles dealing with the importance of rest and recovery.  You may like to sit down and consider why you have gone through a drastic uptick in activity while you are still working through your Whole30. This would probably not be a recommended course of action.  (Personal story: I just took up fairly aggressive bicycle commuting home........and it is kicking my @ss!  I'm a Whole30 veteran and in the fourth week of commuting and I am still focussing on extra sleep, simple cooking/limited chores, icing, stretching etc.  I mention this to tell you that giant upticks in activity during a first Whole30 when you may still be working out your way is going to have unfortunate side effects.........as you may be experiencing)

Second, if you are snacking between meals (not in emergency situations, just in general) it's because either you aren't eating enough at each meal or you have longer than 4-5 hours between main meals.  Read up on the template and get your meals composed to where they are keeping you for 4-5 hours.  This is a mainstay in balancing hormones.  Hormones are a mainstay in libido.  Thus, eating properly will get you laid.  ;)

Wow! That was enlightening! I really am doing too much. It makes a lot of sense and my body is very confused. Not to mention that I got some news from my doctor that has had me stressed more than usual. I'm a mom and was a single mom for 5 years. I am extremely use to pushing through any fatigue/sadness/exhaustion. I ignore it. But those articles make tons of sense. I will take it easy and give my body time to catch up on all the changes. Thank you!

Archived